Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Plant and Seed Swap

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:42 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I have quite a few spare chokos with shoots - starting to look like an invasion of Triffids! :lol:

They are ready to be planted now. Green rather than the cream variety fruits.

Please let me know within a couple of days if you'd like any. After that, spares will be fed to poultry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:14 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Just in response to Pete's comment about wormwood being a growth suppressant to some plants. I have read this also, but don't seem to have a problem with it. My biggest wormwood plant - a couple of metres wide and tall - grows in the middle of my quite big vegie garden. Other herbs grow next to it, as well as a little peach tree, a giant hardenbergia and some very healthy ornamental grasses. The nearby vegies don't seem affected by it. I have another wormwood growing near blue berries and pelargoniums, also okay with their close neighbour. So it may just be a matter of trial and error to see if it affects what you want to grow nearby - or else play safe and plant it away from anything. Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:16 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Cackles, I'd love to have a couple of your chokoes, but don't know how well they'd do down south. It's also very dry here, with no sign of rain ever coming back in any quantity! Do you think they'd manage? If so I'd be happy to reimburse your postage costs. And i might know another couple of people who are interested...
Cheers,
Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:20 pm 
Swan
Swan

cackles how they go being sent and Judy do you have any little suckers of the wormwood with roots on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:27 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi veg gardener. I probably do have some bits that have taken root on the ground, although I pruned it back quite hard recently so not too sure. I'll have a look tomorrow and get back to you. Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:37 pm 
Swan
Swan

ok then because i have been looking for some wormwood plants for ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:41 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Chokos are certainly not worth sending in the mail - have you posted a parcel lately? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:51 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Oh that's a pity - I thought it might be tricky. When I first glanced at your reply Cackles - I read chooks instead of chokoes!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:31 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I had better get some planted as well - someone is collecting the excess this morning :)

In past years I have just put a dish of them out the front with a note inviting pedestrians passing by to help themselves.

Judy, I hope that you and the member who PMed me with a request to post some are both able to source some locally. Surely your garden club contacts would be able to assist? :)

P.S. :oops: I should know better than to tell someone who suggests coming at 8am to come earlier, then come on here before I get dressed! Of course there was a knock on the door just as I wrote here, and of course he wanted to see the vine itself growing which predictably turned into garden and poultry inspection and discussion and swapping of seeds and cuttings. :) He brought me a couple of Rosemary plants and went away with pieces of Greek Basil and seed heads of Cosmos both of which are in flower in my front garden.

Oh and of course BYP got a mention so maybe a new member at some time:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:08 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

veg gardener - sorry about the delay. I did find some wormwood suckers dug up two, and put them in small pots. Don't know how well they will travel, but I'm willing to give it a go if you want them! Maybe pm me with postage details. Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:14 pm 
Swan
Swan

mmm they wouldn't be good in pots, you heard of peat moss may be what you could do is put them in a ziplock bag with some of that and send them in a envlope on a monday, Judy what would you want in return seeds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:47 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have Kale seeds if anybody is interested. Chou Moellier variety....my chooks love it and so do I.

Send me a self addressed stamped envelope if anybody would like some. PM me for the address.

Cheers,
Leanne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:22 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

OKay I'll try sending them in bags!! No guarantees they'll survive...it's a pity you can't source them locally; that would be more reliable. Maybe some seeds in return would be good...what have you got at the moment? Cheers, Judy (pm me your address)

Post subject: Sending root stock
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:36 pm 

Just thought I'd add my 2 bob.

I'm also a keen gardener and I was after some comfrey. My grandma in NSW has plenty and sent me some sprouting root stock. Just thought I'd share the method because it worked great. She wrapped the roots in a piece of damp cloth and then in a layer of damp newspaper. It was then placed in a ziplock bag taped closed. There was enough air and humidity from the water to keep the roots/shoots damp and not dry out. It was all inside a 'tough' bag. Just an idea for anyone else not sure how to post roots/plants.

I don't have any seeds/plants to share as I've only recentlystarted my own vegetable garden again since I moved to my current house but would be happy to share/swap later on. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:14 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I'm still up for swapping! I'm looking for seeds/seedlings for my new veg patch I just created yesterday! :D
Thinking of:
corn
snow peas
peas
pumpkin (small variety)
bok choy/choy sum
spinach
eggplant
sunflowers

anyone have spare seeds & interested in swapping??

...and a gentle bullmastiff 'Otis'

Registered animal foster carer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next