Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Giant Zucchini - what to do...?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:03 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

coopslave wrote:
NellyG wrote:
Some of those sound great coopslave - thankyou! Can anyone tell me what Bisquick is? I assume it is a flour based 'mix' of some kind but would be good to know what sort of mix.

NellyG

It is a flour based mix, that is often used to make pancakes. I don't use it for much so I will have a look at it when I shop next. It may be like self raising flour. I might try to google it an see if I can give you and answer.

Here we go, this will answer your question.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisquick

from the ingredients stated in the link it looks like it is a pastry pre mix - the kind of thing you just add water to.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:24 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

judy margolis wrote:
Would you like to share your cake recipe? :biggrin:

Sorry Judy didn't see this! I just google the Taste site and they have loads of cakes make with Zucchini, I made a plain cake with it last week with dates and walnuts, I put Philly cheese on top the kids ate it but all the males were a little put off by the green bits :roll: .

But basically anything simular to a carrot cake type of cake can be substituted with zucchini. I also made a nice beetrrot choc cake once too you can't ever taste the vegetable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:10 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Thanks Savane,
Yes my men don't like green bits in cakes either!! I've just been introduced to the Taste site by my son who was looking up recipes for dinner...he's unemployed at the moment so making himself useful around the house, cooking a couple of times a week (he even did the ironing!!) :biggrin: . I love adding beetroot, zucchini and all sorts of vegies to things...but have to be careful not to put everyone else off! We had tiny young zucchinis cooked on the BBQ today - just sliced lengthwise and brushed with olive oil, then cooked on the grill till they had nice golden brown "stripes"...also the young flowers stuffed with cottage cheese and just lightly BBQed...yum. Made a nice addition to the ordinary salads to go with the meat.
Cheers,
Judy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:02 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Grate some zucchini and onion into pancake mix.
Add a bit of salt and pepper.
Cook like ordinary pancakes.
Plop a poached homegrown egg on top.
Add a bit of green if you want.

Penny Wyandotte poached egg on zucchini pancake (with baby Kale leaves - my own homegrown organic Kale):

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:54 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Was looking at cooking index here for zucchini & read this ...
zilly wrote:
I grew a 4kg zepplin last year.

I think the record is now broken by one of mine but happy to be corrected.

There was no intention to grow monster size at all
The vegie garden was just neglected/forgotten 100%
Not watered, not seen to, not even a glimpse given
During the 2 weeks period that just passed, well at least since last picking (6 small ones)

I've taken extra photos for non-gardening friends & colleagues (copy stored in gallery)
Not to show how the plants survived the unusual series of heat waves we just had, on its own
But to let them count how many I have picked in just one day from 4 plants
With a hope that most would take notice, maybe encouraged, if not have mercy
To take some home for dinner.

Meantime, thanks for the lovely ideas & recipes
Will surely try most of them
To serve to family & visitors
And will definitely preserve some for later use.

Lessons learned ...
Pick the fruits every 2nd or 3rd day regardless of how busy I could be
And next summer, only grow one plant
Or two, if I get more chooks.

Last edited by ferndalefarm on Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:59 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Thats a great crop Ferndale Farm.
My hubby reckons you should only have 1 zucchini plant per postcode area as they grow so many :biggrin: and you can feed the whole town!

Zucchini pancakes look great too!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:45 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Great haul, Ferndale!!

Last night I made Zucchini Carbonara, which is Spaghetti Carbonara but you turn the zucchini into the spaghetti by cutting long thin strips eitger on a mandoline or with a julienne peeler. Blanch in boiling water fora minute and then use it like spaghetti. Of course it is nothing like spaghetti. But it is a way to use up your zucchini and it's nice in its own way. And healthy!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:13 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Excellent haul there Ferndalefarm, i love zucchini, so many things you can do with it.

That recipe sounds really yum 70%cocoa :-D , i will have to try that one when our plants start producing again.

Another nice little snack using zucchini is make long thin strips, blanch them then wrap around a small chunk of soft goats cheese- and hold with a toothpick, great little party snack :-D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:46 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi everyone. You can also make a cake or bread as it is known in other parts of the world.

Believe it or not I actually look forward to the zucs for the cake. Here is one my wife made earlier this year.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:54 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

redjohanna wrote:
My hubby reckons you should only have 1 zucchini plant per postcode area as they grow so many :biggrin: and you can feed the whole town!

Damn right! My extended family and all of our chooks put together can qualify as total inhabitants of one tiny town. But planted four plants because one for family, one for chooks, one for wild birds & wombat, and 4th one as insurance should the others die for any reason. Should have known zucchinis are very hardy and will live until frost kills them!

Had that pancake recipe for very late breakie this morning. Used a medium size zucchini (grate easier than the baby) and red/salad onion. Slivers of beetroot and butterhead lettuce underneath the poached egg instead of kale (only grows here in winter). Well, everyone had two serves. Quite filling, no one has asked for lunch until now.

Which will be halved green skinned (Blackjack) zucchini with seeds scooped out then stuffed with chopped bacon in usual bolognese sauce. To be served with green salad with raw slices of baby yellow-skinned (Gold Rush) zucchini.

For dinner, I'm thinking of 70% cocoa's zucchini carbonara. Its creamy sauce seems perfect side dish for grilled chicken breast.

At the end of the day, I'm afraid to think that I will have to convince them that zucchini is an excellent source of Vitamin C. So might not serve zucchini again until couple of days later. Need to keep them interested and wanting more to keep up with zucchini output.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:03 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

This one was a few years ago. My wife ran when she saw me coming.

I think there is another around this size somewhere in there this season.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:36 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

:shoc now thats a whopper zucchini !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:18 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

OMG that is humongously huge!
Have seen monstrous pumpkins before at the fair but not zucchinis.

Gnol - did you measure or weigh it?
And if you can find this season's, will be interesting to know also how large & heavy it is
And perhaps start a BYP Guinness record.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:43 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I didn't measure or weigh it ferndalefarm. I think we gave that one to a tradie who loved veggies. He as doing some work here and noticed all the veggies.

I'll look for the other one soon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:18 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

My husband ls always accidentally leaving a few and we end up with a giant. I cringe when I see them coming, but I have found that the ducks LOVE a zucchini cut in half for them. I do like zucchini season though - such a versatile veg.

Nellyg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next