Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Aquaponics: A gardening system of ducks fish and plants

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:02 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

This is a post I placed on the aquaponics forum what you see is an evolution of small beginnings.
A desire to never have to deal with a dirty duckpond again and the advantages of a hydroponic growbeds as part of my garden, motivated me to achieve this.

MAY 2008 System evolution:and July below

OK JULY UPDATE:

1000l pond, wishing I had chosen the 3000l now though, 5000l/hr pump is on 30minutes every 2.5hrs, my Koi and the base of the pond are visible from angles I cannot photograph well!! I decided to choose something easy as my first fish project.
3 Growbeds plumbing is mainly buried, I chose to lay pipe across 2 of the beds so I can change the outlet area occasionally.

Have grown a good crop of Mizuna, have some tomato plants developing, a pineapple cutting that has rooted yay!. Also have some spinach, coriander, lettuces, bok choi, mint, peppermint, lemon balm, garlic chives, basil.

Had to move some pond plants so I stuck a spare taro in.

My poor lemon grass is not doing so well though, I lifted it up a bit today, anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Because I am concerned about the high levels of particle/silt that are in my system each outlet flows through a filter foam into the bed, I hope that when I have better root development in the system I can perhaps do away with them.

The plumbing comes out of the ground and flows to the pond, while it keeps quite clear I had been scooping it but will now experiment and allow an active sediment layer to form, and see what happens.
From a standpipe in the pond the water is gravity fed around the corner by 50mm into a fancy looking combination of 100mm joiners and out on a filter sieve (pond pot) to remove feathers and course debri.

Then on though a large filter foam and then a finer type underneath, I had to add this as otherwise I was constantly having to scoop my fish pond clean and also remove sand and silt from my small bed of filter plants (lebanese and english cress and pennywort). Would love to find another filtration method that does not want the twice weekly I give it at the moment to keep things nice and clear.

The filter area has a siphon effect emptying so it is flood and drain so I also start some plants off in pots in there before transfer to a main bed.

Future plans include possibly a larger tank above ground and a pump to send water up to it, oh how it would have been nice to have just started off with a 3000l in the ground, instead of the the 1000l.

Also plan on putting an edging around the duck pond as while the ducks have been mellow lately this is not always so and it will increase the depth they can have.

Once again thanks to all for sharing their ideas, and I am hopefully looking for some helpful criticism to improve on what I have let me know please.

See you all tomorrow night

Finally my backyard is all detailed here and is the first place to get new stuff!
http://www.evansmotorcycletraining.com.au/backyard.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:11 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Wow - very impressive, Ev! :D

Lemongrass growth slows down a bit here in winter - not sure about in your climate though. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:21 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Wow Ev no wonder we don't see much of you on here anymore..Your doing great..what fantastic photo's too. My OH is soo jealous. He's always been fascinated with hydroponics. I've had to fight to get the computer back now after he saw those pictures. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:32 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

EV

There is always some crossover between hobbies. We used to have a couple of marine aquariams with separate below tank mini reef filtration systems.

These used what is known as bioballs. They are a plastic spikey ball shape with a very large surface area to collect and filter the water as well as allowing nitrifying bacteria to grow and convert nitrites to nitrates.

Using something similar with a foam filter over it to collect macro particles might save you quite a lot of work. If you have an aquariam shop near you that have marine tanks you might want to have a look at their setup. The bioballs are fairly cheap to buy and very effective. It would do a lot of scavenging for you before the water is returned to main storage pool.

Just a thought.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:36 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Quote:
These used what is known as bioballs. They are a plastic spikey ball shape with a very large surface area to collect and filter the water as well as allowing nitrifying bacteria to grow and convert nitrites to nitrates.

Heh. I went to an aquaculture conference a couple of years back. The bioball manufacturers had a competition. They had a picture of a model lying in a tank of bioballs. It idea was to guess the number of bioballs that were in the tank with her. The winner got to have dinner with the model. Aquaculturalists are wierd.

Impressive system Ev. The only aquaponics guy I know says not to grow lettuce. Lettuce sells for $10 a kilo. Basil sells for $60 a kilo!

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:50 pm 
Swan
Swan

i like this and am jealous can you tell me a bit more about your set up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:06 pm 
Great set up :wink: ,very nice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:11 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I've set up a hydroponics system, but it's fill and drain, no electrics. I'd love to include some more sophisticated elements such as ducks/water plants, but don't have the engineering skills of you guys. I'm jealous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:54 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

veg gardener wrote:
i like this and am jealous can you tell me a bit more about your set up.

Visit my backyard signature link for a little more.

I was originally inspired by Joel and his book of http://backyardaquaponics.com forum "fame"

I now plan to upgrade my duckpond to 2000L to get around splashing losses and also the ducks love to dive and the filter bed is now flood and drain gravel bed with watercresses and I just give it all a once weekly maintenance and it is working well
[/url]