Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - water in duck pen

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: water in duck pen
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:07 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi There

Can anyone tell me if ducks require water in there night pen at night? I have an automatic waterer in there that hangs from the roof and they seem to be going through alot of water, it may be because the knock it and it spills over the side which creates a huge mess. The question is can they go without water at night? as they are locked up at 6.30pm and out of there night pen at 6am.

thanks makka31

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:20 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

TOH told me a couple of weeks ago that no they don't and that many people leave there waterfowl without water at night.

They don't really drink between those hours anyway so as long as they are let out bright and early they should be fine :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:32 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

My ducks' night pens do not have water overnight :) This is in an attempt to have at least that part of their run relatively dry. Remember though, if you take out their water to also remove their food. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:13 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

All my ducks have access to deep water troughs overnight.

Try using a flat deep trough rather than a hanging waterer as yes, they would bump it and spill the water.

As Cackles said, don't leave any food around if they don't have water. The ducks will stuff food in and choke unless they have water to wash it down.

If you do choose to have them water free overnight, monitor the ducks for sticky pasty eyes. Ducks need water to wash their eyes.

Far better is to accept that ducks are wet and use appropriate water absorbent bedding around the water troughs. Refresh the bedding with thin layers of new material as its needed. A good choice for bedding is pine shavings.

Jacquie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:33 pm 
Swan
Swan

Over night, my ducks have a large bucket full of water in their coop. It's too heavy to be tipped over. The bucket sits on a square plant saucer which catches all the spills. Additionally they have a layer of sugarcane mulch around the saucer to keep the area dry. But there are hardly any spills on the mulch.

Post subject: water in duck pen
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:49 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

thanks for the response, i think i will remove the hanging waterer and put in a small trouugh so they can only dip there bill in there to get water at night, i think the problem of there being so much water on the ground near there waterer and bedding was because they were knocking it over.

DOes anyone know where i can buy pine shavings or wood shavings in heathcote victoria?

thanks makka31

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:10 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Have you tried the soil place on the main road down from BP on the other side of the road opposite the two storey place he may help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:03 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi there, no i havent tried the sand and soil place in heathcote, i might give them a ring to see if they have any.

thanks makka31