Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Worm farms and chook yard waste

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:44 pm 
Swan
Swan

photos please Teeni.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:53 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I had a worm farm but it died :(

Currently I put all my chook straw into a compost round (it's 1/3 of a water tank) plus usual compost, and let the chooks at it - it's inside their pen. They scratch it to buggery and it's the most wonderful compost - it's actually a hot compost, to my surprise. Generally ready for use after about 3-4 weeks.

The plan is to rest it and let the chooks move into another bed - problem is that bed's currently growing potatoes and tomatoes and asparagus and warrigal greens, so they can't have it. So I just dig what I need out of it and let them turn it over.

The cat's droppings go into the other compost - non-chook-accessible. Not half as nice but it contains stuff potentially toxic to chooks - very elderly leftovers, sprouting potatoes, slimy carrots, etc ... would love to turn that into a proper worm farm but I'd need a LOT of the right kind of worms ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:40 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Will def put up some pictures when its sorted. At the moment my yard looks a bit like Hiroshima, im reorganising everything, pens, cement mixers, building materials, sheds, compost, garden beds, to try and make things a bit easier to maintain. So I will pop some pics up when its looking a little less like nuclear devastation :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:19 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hey all,

The quickest way to get compost worms if your local hardware nursery doesnt stock them is to go to your local bait and tackle outlet, most will have tubs of worms for fish bait.
If you add them to a compost heap it will need to be a damp and cool compost pile not a hot one.

Trev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:51 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I was always under the impression that you shouldn't put any meat or it's byproduct (like dog/cat poo) in your compost bin as it'll attract rats.

Anyway, yes you can put all of your chicken poo and their bedding into the compost bin with your worms, and they will love it. However always spare a thought to how long you want the bins 'turn-around' rate to be. For example I usually expect to have a finished bin of compost in 4-6 months....and the result will be a fine quality black crumbly mix. But in the other bin I put in all of the wood shavings from the chooks nesting boxes as well as the other usual food peelings etc, and the wood shavings haven't rotted in any way. I won't do that again so we know use the used shavings as a mulch.

Erm, very good point about composting 'wormed' chicken poo....I hadn't thought of that LOL :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:40 am 
Swan
Swan

i just put it all together and then mix it in via the skid steers bucket then dump it on the garden bed get my garden fork and dig it in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:08 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Great advice from everyone, thanks very much. When it cools down I will have to get a couple up and running. Would love to see pics from anyone who has their own worm set up. pics makes it sooooooooo much easier.
Cheers :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:38 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Not sure if you are still wanting pics of worm farms but here is a couple of mine. We made it out of three stacking bins with lids (from Bunnings) and drilled holes in the bottom of the first two bins. The bottom bin collects the 'Worm Tea' and this is where we added a 'tap' from a used cask of wine.... naturally recycling of course!

The concept of three bins is that the middle bin is the starter (active) bin with holes drilled in the lid. The worms eat their way to the top of the middle bin, making great vermicast on the way, while the worm tea drains into the bottom bin with the tap. Once the middle bin is full, start putting the food scraps in the top bin. This bin will have a lid. The worms then crawl up through the drilled holes in the bottom of the top bin and that bin then becomes the 'active' bin... the bin you would now add the food scraps to. This allows access and use of the vermicast from the middle bin with the knowledge that it is free of your hard working worms. Your garden will love the vermicast and love the worm tea.... but the tea has to be diluted as it will burn plants if used straight.

This pic shows the set up:

And this pic is the happy occupants!

I find that the food scraps decompose quicker if they are cut up into small pieces.... not that you would have to per sec, but it's just something that I do that works well.

I hope this has been helpful.... Good luck with your worm farm... it's fun to have!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:02 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

What an excellent idea and sooooooooo much cheaper. Thankyou very much for the pics.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:28 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I've seen some people use styrofoam boxes (the ones from the fruit shops) that have drainage holes on the bottom. They just stack them up - similar to the arrangement above. And the top one gets covered with a bit of hessian. You'll have to put it somewhere that it doesn't blow over though.

chookstarter

PS are compost worms cheaper at tackle shops or at local nurseries/Bunnings?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:14 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I find the worm farms would be to small to put bedding into them and I got 2 farms going. Why don't you rather build a raised veggie bed out of colourbond sheets, fill that up with chook bedding, grass cuttings, cardboard/shredded paper, leaves & cow manure/mushroom compost What you actually building is a gaint compost bin. Leave it to settle for a week or two. Would be best to grow potatoes as your first crop. By the time you harvest you soil will be lovely rich soil.

NZkiwi I love you worm farm :biggrin: