Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - passion fruit vine question (another ?)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:24 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

try the passion fruit called Black Magic

i have one and it covered my 6m x 3m chook pen in 12 months

Ph 0434626082
http://www.wauchopepoultryclub.webs.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:51 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

off topic a little, i have a vine going nuts at the moment but when do i pick the fruit? Do i pick them when they are full and green or wait for them to shrivel and darkn on the vine?
Sigrid

Large and Bantam leghorns in blue, Black, white, splash and blue duckwing, Marans in Wheaten, Polish in wc black, Malays, Coronation and speckled Sussex. Also Secretary to the French Marans Club of Australia.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:41 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

pick the fruit when it takes no effort to pull them off, you should just be able to touch them and they will fall into your hand

Ph 0434626082
http://www.wauchopepoultryclub.webs.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:03 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

don't pick the green ones - they won't ripen off the vine
they seem to take ages to ripen, sun helps
once they are ripe they often fall off themselves
helps to check the ground regularly - is such a pity to come across rotting fruit that was hidden from sight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:10 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Just be careful. We had a grafted passionfruit and unknowing to us, the top bit died off and then the rootstock grew. It looks like a passionfruit, flowers like a passionfruit but does not produce fruit and by joves it grows and grows and grows and grows ... yikes!! :shock: We have chopped it down and still it grows. :x We chopped it down again and still it grows. We have sprayed it and still it grows although it has slowed down substantially. We sprayed again today and I think we might be winning the battle. :) So ... just watch what you end up growing!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:34 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Just be careful with immature passionfruit vines and heavy frosts. They have large leaves with means the leaves have a large moisture turnover. They dont handle freezing weather well.

We tried for several years to establish passionfruit vines (commercially grafted ones) by planting them as early as well could in spring. They did well over summer but the frosts would burn off and kill the grafted portion and the rootstock would sucker leaving us with nothing like what we wanted.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Frost ?? I heard about that once, I just can't think where!

I have two Nellie Kellies as well and they get bumpers crops on them. If the sulphur crested cockatoos leave us any they are delicious. The birds bite into the green fruit and spoil it, or they just rip the green fruit off the vine and toss them around. Grrrrrrrr.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:05 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

On clear winters nights we commonly get to -8 and down -10. We have been as low as -16 but that was an exception. caught us totally off guard as everything froze. No water till midday and that meant no life sustaining early morning coffee, no flushing toilets and no water to brush teeth. Now we keep a jug filled inside - just in case.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:28 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

-16 :shock: :shock: I'll never complain about the humidity again!!

In our climate we don't need greenhouses or polytunnels, everything just grows like mad - including the weeds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:50 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Sorry to highjack the post, but reading through this I have a question about my passionfruit vine. I am in WA and got the Ned Kelly variety - almost a year since it has been planted and it is going great guns. However a friend of mine came around and saw it flowering and said to remove that particular branch as that was the root stock and it would take over. That was about 3 months ago and since then, more growing, but no flowers and we have never had any fruit. Could I have just done what others have mentioned and ended up with a fruitless vine permenantly?! :oops:

1 Bantam Patridge Wyandotte - Lola
2 Lavendar Araucana's - Polly and Molly
1 Black Araucana - Blackie
1 Black Silkie - Fluffy
A selection of chookies I love for my small backyard .....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:23 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yes, Nelly Kellys will do that. Cut the root stock limbs off it. You can see that the leaves are a different shape. The root stock will also be much more vigorous and take over. You might get a few small flowers on it, but you'll either get no fruit, or it won't be edible, depending on the type of root stock you've got. You need to get rid of it. If your vine doesn't have any good sections on it, then remove it and plant a new one. If you don't care about fruit anyway, and you just like a green vine, well just keep it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:31 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

in the heat wave last week alot of my passionfruits shriveled. now they are starting to darken up so maybe the hot weather was good for them?
Sigrid

Large and Bantam leghorns in blue, Black, white, splash and blue duckwing, Marans in Wheaten, Polish in wc black, Malays, Coronation and speckled Sussex. Also Secretary to the French Marans Club of Australia.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:14 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Chicken07 wrote:
Yes, Nelly Kellys will do that. Cut the root stock limbs off it. You can see that the leaves are a different shape. The root stock will also be much more vigorous and take over. You might get a few small flowers on it, but you'll either get no fruit, or it won't be edible, depending on the type of root stock you've got. You need to get rid of it. If your vine doesn't have any good sections on it, then remove it and plant a new one. If you don't care about fruit anyway, and you just like a green vine, well just keep it.

Thanks for that - I have hacked it back and will see what happens. If it dies, so be it - I will start again with a newby. Was going to be a good cover for my chookpen, so the green vine would have worked fine - but I would prefer the fruit as well as I love the things ... And reading the posts on here - better to get rid of the root stock now than end up with a bit hard to get rid of plant! Any tips on a variety of passionfruit to buy next time?

1 Bantam Patridge Wyandotte - Lola
2 Lavendar Araucana's - Polly and Molly
1 Black Araucana - Blackie
1 Black Silkie - Fluffy
A selection of chookies I love for my small backyard .....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:19 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Actually that is a thought - what variety should be planted as I love passionfruit - mind you after the difficulties in removing the first one not sure if I would trust growing another one. :confused:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:12 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hello Showy Hen I have been trying to get a Black Magic passionfruit vine with no luck I live South east Brisbane and it is proving very difficult to purchase them here. Where are you located I am guessing south of the boarder:
Kind regards
Adele