Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Anyone got a good mayonnaise recipe for shows?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:14 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

OK, so I DID search for mayonnaise on this forum already, and it didn't come up with much, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I'm looking at entering some mayonnaise in Tanunda Show on Saturday, but I'm looking for a good, basic, tasty, easy recipe. Anyone got one? :D

Also, there seems to be come variation between cooked (like lemon butter) and uncooked - anyone have any ideas what judges look for? Which is easier, more reliable? Tastier? Which is "traditional"?

Last edited by WacksNotQuacks on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:34 pm 
here are a couple
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/12974/basic+mayonnaise
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sauces_Condiments/HomemadeMayonnaise.htm
http://drbenkim.com/recipesmayonnaise.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:51 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Homemade mayonnaise does contain raw egg yolks, which means that it is susceptible to containing amounts of salmonella bacteria if not stored correctly or if the freshest eggs are not used. So make sure you make it the morning of or the night before the show.
The reason why mayonnaise can be difficult to make is because mayonnaise is an emulsion. An emulsion is a mixture of two different liquids that do not usually combine together and they tend to separate immediately . With mayonnaise, as with other types of emulsion, an emulsifier is added to stabilize the mixture and bind it together. In the case of mayonnaise, the emulsifier is the egg yolk, which contains lecithin, a natural fat emulsifier.
The egg yolks are first of all beaten together, and then whilst continuously whisking, tiny drops of oil, one at a time, are added to the egg yolks until the mixture begins to emulsify or in other words, thicken. If the oil is added too quickly, the two liquids will just separate, which is why so much care must be taken. Once the initial danger zone has been broken and the two liquids start to combine and thicken, then the rest of the oil may be added a bit quicker. Once all of the oil has been whisked into the egg yolks, lemon juice or vinegar, the seasonings may be added to perfect the taste.
I'm sure the judges would appreciate the effort that you have put into this rather than the cooked recipe. I'm not familiar with any of the cooked recipes and much prefer the normal recipe of egg yolk, olive oil, salt and pepper and a dash of vinegar or lemon juice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:11 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Oh, wow! Now that explains so much that I have read.

And, let me get this straight - I cannot use Extra Virgin Olive Oil, right? Because if I refrigerate it it solidifies?

And which is better? Vinegar or lemon juice?

AND, I've seen recipes with the addition of mustard - does this change the colour? What is the taste like after this addition?

And can I use an electric beater or is a hand whisk so much better?

Sorry for all the questions :oops: but thanks HEAPS! :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:53 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

I will try and get my grandma's recipe for you it was a classic and she had a jar in the fridge for as long as i can remember (not the same jar). She's gone to a big kitchen in the sky now and I bet the all the residents are as fat as pigs now, she was the best cook i have ever come across and i am a harsh judge. My partner has alot to live up to as my gran set the bar fairly high! :lol: "

If you read this honey i'm only joking" :biggrin:

Try the old Green and Gold cook book!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:26 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I always add wholegrain seed mustard to mine because i like it that way. It doesnt change the colour and adds a bit of interest to the mayo. It really depends on individual taste.
I make mine up in the blender...eggs, lemon juice (vinegar if i dont have any lemon juice), seed mustard, oil (whatever i have in the cupboard - usually canola) and it comes out great. I dont have a set ratio of ingredients - just go by taste. No problems at all with emulsifying and its very creamy. I use it on my potato salad and keep any leftovers in the fridge for a few days. I add worcestershire sauce to it for a 'seafood sauce' when we catch yabbies. Everyone comments how good it is so it must be ok.

Also...i prefer to use whole eggs...not just the yolks.

Its something you are going to have to experiment with to get what you like.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:00 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

The main thing is to add the oil drop by drop - like Darrssy said. But if you stuff it up and put it in too fast and it all starts to separate or not thicken at all, don't despair. Just put another egg yolk in a new bowl and add the stuffed-up mixture drop by drop. It will all come good.

You don't have to wait ages between each drop: ....drip.drip.drip.drip.drip is good, not drip............drip...........drip If using a whisk you have to whisk pretty briskly though. I just go round and round the bowl in a circle, pretty fast. My preference is to hand-whisk because I enjoy it but I've never done a side-by-side comparison of blender versus whisk. The blender is essentially doing the same job - but would be a helluva lot less tiring!!

Personally, I always put extra-virgin olive oil in my mayo, but I put it in at the end as it can be a pretty strong flavour (even if you love olives). Best to use a neutral sort of oil to start with - I use grapeseed oil. Then make the last 2 or three tablespoons olive oil (just taste as you go though).

When you add the lemon juice or whatever acidic thing you are using at the end it will go paler and creamier in colour. Try to use good quality salt (like Murray River salt) if you can. That's being pretty fussy though :biggrin: I have only ever used yolks, not the whole egg (I might try the whole egg approach the next time though).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:20 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Rach...my use of whole eggs happened accidently one day when i wasnt thinking what i was doing and dropped the whites in as well. :roll: But i like the result. You can actually buy 'whole egg mayonaise' at the supermarket, cant remember the brand name at the moment.

I'm pretty sure the al e carte chefs would look down their noses with disdain at my method, but, as usual, i leave things to the last minute and the blender works well for me! Whisking would probably be the way for a competition.

I tried extra virgin olive oil once and ended up throwing the mayo out. After reading your post, i realise i added waaaay too much. It was not nice at all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:45 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Found a recipe I think it is the right one.

1 can of condensed milk
1 lemon
1/2 a can of white wine vinegar
add to taste pepper or mustard ect.

Good luck . Let me know what you think!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:10 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

ISAGreen, if I buy mayo at the supermarket I get the Thomy brand - and it's a whole egg mayo and it's pretty good! So in with the whole egg, I say! :biggrin:

I often add garlic and/or preserved lemon or lemon zest at the end. Roasted garlic is very nice. Chopped herbs too. Wasabi is also good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:44 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Sorry William - mayonnaise contains oil and eggs. A dressing made with other ingredients and not containing oil and eggs might well be very tasty, but it's not mayonnaise.

My mother always uses sunflower oil for her mayo - like others, she finds olive oil too strong. As a result, I can't make mine with olive oil because I'm too used to the neutral flavour! As others have said, use good-quality fresh oil. When you've got as few ingredients as this recipe, any low-quality ingredients will be immediately obvious.

Vinegar vs. lemon juice is purely a matter of taste. It needs an acid of some kind to be the dressing, but let your tastes decide. We used white wine vinegar infused with tarragon - I don't know if you can buy it any more. Use the best-quality vinegar you can find (as per the comment above).

I tend to use lemon juice because I love lemon juice, and it's a more reliably good flavour than vinegar.

Balsamic vinegar is not suitable.

A small pinch of mustard is common; I don't but that's 'cos my mother doesn't :).

Good salt and freshly-ground black pepper is a must.

I think we used just egg yolks and made it in the Kenwood Chef - the easiest way, esp. for them with arthritic wrists. On a nice low setting, and just dribble the oil in. I learnt to make it when I was a kid and had patience and I think I only curdled it once.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:29 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Great info guys, it's really helping!!

I think the judges probably do look for a more traditional mayonnaise. So thankf or the recipe, William - but I might just stick to the difficult emulsion stuff, heaven help me...

Well, I didn't get the "best" ingredients money could buy. I only got Home Brand sunflower oil, but I DIDN'T get Home Brand vinegar - even that looked a little too cheap for me....I got a mediochre one, I think - not as bad as Home Brand but not as good as others. I did get a good Dijon Mustard though, IF I decide to add mustard in.

I have fresh lemons, so we'll see what happens there.

Oh, and does anyone use duck eggs? Do they notice a difference? Because it's all I have :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:39 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Sunflower oil will be fine. You want a neutral oil like that. Let your nice fresh eggs do the talking! I have never used duck eggs but I think it's a great idea. Could give you the winning edge.

I am with Infoaddict on the lemon juice vs. vinegar debate. As a suggestion, though, when you have incorporated all your oil, take two small samples of what you have produced and put a bit of lemon juice into one and a bit of vinegar into the other (add a bit of salt to both samples too if you haven't done this already to the main batch). See which one you like the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:41 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Sorry i did not realise that a mayo had to have specific ingredients! you learn something everyday, i guess you would call it a dressing then! It is worth a try especially in potato salad hope you find one you like.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:56 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

William,

That is the mayo I make without the lemon & mustard.Also use malt vinegar not the white.

It is Yummo.

Dale