Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What to do with quinces.....

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:32 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

apart from quince jelly (which always seems to end up as quince syrup!!). Anyone got any ideas?? I have about 30 kgs of them!!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:07 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Mittymoo, they go great with apple, so quince and apple pie & or crumble. Cook the quince in a sugar syrup first.
I have never tried it but I think they would make a great Pie or crumble on they own.

My mum used to make a quince relish along the same lines as mango, but I do not have her recipe.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:18 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Thanks, Ken! The quince relish sounds interesting!! I might google and see if I can come up with anything!!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:19 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Mittymoo - I popped "quince recipes" into Google and there seemed to be a lot of results - if you test any out let us know how they go won't you :)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:51 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

If you were my Labrador you would steal them out of the fruit bowl and eat them raw.

If you were me you'd cut them in half and put them in an oven-proof pot, with boiling water about a third of a way up, with half a cup of sugar added (more of you like it sweeter). Put them in the oven for at least 4 hours at 120 degree celsius. They should come out a ruby red. You can them eat them as they are with a bit of the reduced cooking liquid and some cream (or marscapone...toasted brioche or crumbled amaretti are good with it too) or put them in a crumble. The rest of the cooking liquid makes a good jelly.

You can also add slices of raw quice to a lamb or chicken (or beef!!) tagine (will take about an hour to cook the quince component).

Some varieties of quince go mushy when you cook them though and these are probably best made into jam/relish/quince paste.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:16 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I like them cored but not peeled, and baked with a dab of butter and honey in the centre hollow. Not the slow-cook as above, which is delicious, but a slightly faster baking which produces a slightly less intense flavour. Say 180C for about an hour or so. Glorious with ice-cream.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:43 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Rightio..how come yours are ripe and ready to pick? Mine are nearly there..I'll be checking out this thread and googling myself in a few days I hope. I've just finished bottling a heap (and I mean a HEAP) of peaches and pears. Next is Apples ( 5 varieties and Rhubarb)

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:33 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Thanks for the suggestions!! I've found a recipe for quince relish on the 'net, and would love to give it a try but I don't have all the ingredients.

Darrssy, we had to pick ours as the currawongs were eating them faster than you could say "quinces"! They ARE ripe; that's why the currawongs were into them.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:44 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

This is the recipe I have found for quince relish:

4kg ripe peeled and diced tomatos
3kg diced onions
5kg peeled and diced quinces

Place in a large dish sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of salt and let stand overnight. Empty into large pot, bring to the boil and add;
3kgs of sugar
2 x 250ml cups of vinegar

Stir until sugar is melted then add;
4tbsp of dry mustard
4tbsp of curry powder

Boil gently for approx 2 1/2 hours stirring often. Add 1 cup of plain flour stirring for approx 15 mins until thick. Pour into jars.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:53 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I love this recipe for quince sorbet. It's ideal if you have some sort of ice-cream maker to give a less icy texture, but you can 'still freeze' it too.

6-8 small quinces
500mL sugar syrup (the mix I use is 1kg sugar to 1L boiling water - just stir to dissolve)
4 Tablespoons of lemon juice
And if you have any, a couple of tablespoons of Calvados (apple brandy) really adds something to the flavour
Makes approx 750mL

Peel, quarter and core the quinces. Place in a non-reactive saucepan (enamel is ideal if you have one) with the sugar syrup. Cover with lid, bring to the boil then simmer gently for 15 minutes. Liquidise while hot until you have a smooth pulp, then immediately sieve through a medium sieve. If want a very smooth texture put again through a fine sieve. If you like the granular texture of quince don't bother. Add the lemon juice and Calvados (if desired) and chill in the fridge.

When mix is cold, freeze in ice-cream machine or if you don't have one, place into a strong plastic container that gives you a mixture depth of approximately 4cm. Cover with lid and put in coldest part of freezer. Check after 1-1.5 hours. The mix should have a frozen ring of ice around sides and slush in the middle. Beat for a few seconds with an electric hand beater (or egg beater or whisk) until mix forms a uniform slush. Put back in freezer. Repeat beating at least twice at intervals of 1- 1.5 hours. After third beating, mix will need a further 30-60 minutes to firm up to serve. You can put in a more space efficient box after the third beating for storing in freeezer.

If you have a very frozen ice block that is hard to scoop, you can either place in fridge for 20 minutes before serving, or pop in microwave on DEFROST setting for about 15 - 30 seconds to soften.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:21 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

On the ABC1 (Australia) this week, The Cook and The Chef, Maggie made a quince parcel/pastry thing that looked quite nice and seemed easy to make.

Try the ABC website.

(My mum, 79, has the same problem but has lots of friends that she offloads them to)