Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - easy recipe for homemade yogurt

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:59 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:51 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

wanted to share an easy recipe for homemade yogurt. tastes great (for humans), less expensive, it makes alot, so chooks get more too

http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/pag ... tionId=525

danish brown leghorns..araucanas..white, partridge & self blue silkies..black sumatras..BBR cubalayas..golden phoenix..WC black polish bantams..a few Xs... and no peafowl this season :'(

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:19 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks for this peeper lilly I actually make my yoghurt much the same way but I use fresh cows milk. I also make it by the thousands of gallons rather than one gallon.. :lol: I'm a calf rearer and I make yoghurt for the calves out of the leftover 3rd and 4th transition stage colostrum milk. First year was a real fizzer for me..and it all went sour but i'm perfecting it now and the calves love it and do well on it too.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:29 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

how come it is better than straight milk for them Darrssy?

NellyG

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:36 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Im thinking it would prevent the scours? So they wouldnt loose any condition, being bottle fed they tend to get the scours by looking at them. I give them eggs in their milk which stops it. Interesting to see why Nelly!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:51 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

you are very welcome. i don't have fresh milk :cry: so i have to use "processed" :lol: , and i really don't want to buy a cow just for my chooks :rofl: i actually do very little dairy, i end up with a sinus infection.........go figure, dr says i'm lactose intolerant and that's the way it affects me. so the yogurt making is for the chookens (daughter wants "dannon, because it tastes better than yours) teenagers....oops she's 20 now (just turned). i'll post other finds as i think about them.

lucinda

danish brown leghorns..araucanas..white, partridge & self blue silkies..black sumatras..BBR cubalayas..golden phoenix..WC black polish bantams..a few Xs... and no peafowl this season :'(

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:44 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

It's not actually 'better' for them as such it's just that they do well on it after they adjust to it. Mostly becuase of the live cultures in it..acidopholous bifidus etc. They get the poos when they first go on it if you give it to them straight but I always give it to them 1/5 and build it up to half and half..I hardly ever run out of milk to give them just straight yoghurt either. Working on a dairy farm there is always plenty of milk :shock: . I raise 400 plus calves each year and milk is the farms income so coming up with this way to save the colostrum milk that sometimes does go to waste if just left in storage was better than having to use milk out of the vat once all the calves are born and the cows aren't giving transition milk any longer.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:36 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

That make sense! Thanks for the explaination :biggrin:

NellyG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:38 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Peeper, try raw milk. Could be amazed how you may not be lactose intolerant but rather " intolerant of the processes that packaged milk has to go through" :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:36 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hello Peeper Lilly
I have a son who was born lactose intolerant and was reared on the only kind of replacement at the time, tinned soy milk, made up in similar proportions as carnation milk. He now uses Pauls Zymil Milk which is advertised as lactose free and easy to digest.
He no longer had the vomiting, stomach cramps or "the runs" and can enjoy custard, milk drinks etc.
Are you aware that the process of making yoghurt uses up the lactose so yoghurt is always lactose free?
I have made yoghurt for 40 years for the family and it is definately much nicer especially when you add your own preserved fruit. YUM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:50 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

it's not the lactose, any type of milk product, excessive sugar or refined white flour causes me to have horrible headaches and a sinus infection. so i try to stay away from the things that cause the problems, but sometimes i shoot myself in the foot and do it anyway......and always pay the price the next day. when i play glutton, i end up at the doctors office with a $75 office call and $35 in antibiotics to get rid of the sinus gunk........you'd think i'd learn :aaargh: