Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - stupid proof chicken recipe

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:46 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

fell over this by accident. . . Opened cupboard and ingredients fell out but it has never failed ever. Casserole dish. Chicken fillets pieces whole chook whatever. Packet taco seasoning burrito fajita mix whatever. And finally jar pasta sauce. Dolmio or whatever. All you do is put the seasoning on the skin of pieces or outside of fillets dont go overboard if you dont want it too spicy. Put it all in a dish and cover over with jar of sauce. Cover dish with lid or foil or use oven bag or whatever else you want and throw the whole lot in the oven at about 180 till cooked. Voila its just so simple and yummy. Does anyone else have any truly stupid proof chook recipes to share for us kitchen illiterates? Cheers julie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:59 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

'Oohh that sounds really good! Ill have to give it a go. :thumbs:

Nellyg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:32 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

My old faithful Apricot chicken :) Im sure everyone makes this.My kids love it. You can also do the same thing with cooked sausages cut into pieces.
Just the same as your recipe but chop chicken into cubes or use skinned pieces/legs whatever. Put in casserole dish. Sprinkle over a packet of French Onion soup mix and then pour over a can of Apricot nectar (You could use Mango nectar too). Cover and cook. Voila :) Serve with whatever you like, rice, pasta, mash.

Another favourite:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/8118/dixie+chicken

And this one I make often and we love it. You have to trim the bacon well or its a bit too oily for my liking.
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/7862/ch ... +rice+bake

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:36 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I like the sound of the mushroom soup one too!

NellyG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:40 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

thanks can i have some more.! :thumbs: at least a weeks worth would be nice! Oh can do dinner too then! :rofl:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:14 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Duck Diva_73 do you think you could use a tin of apricots instead? I like it with apricots in it. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:23 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

hey coopslave if you cant you could try straining the juice off the apricot pieces add to nectar and use the fruit juice instead of the cold water in jelly to make a trifle for dessert. Yum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:26 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

The OH is the good savoury cook, but even I can manage this one:

Skinless chicken fillets
Butter
Coconut vinegar (or other really mild vinegar.) You can get coconut in Asian shops or even Asian section of some supermarkets.

Place fillets in baking dish. Dollop with pieces of butter (I put about 5 pieces the size of a broad bean on each breast). Pour on coconut vinegar liberally until it is about 1cm deep in the baking dish. Cook at 180 C for about 30 mins depending on size of fillets.

Absolutely juicy-tender and simple. Delicious with some of the baking juices over brown rice (which I normally hate) and a green salad on the side.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:38 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

coopslave wrote:
Duck Diva_73 do you think you could use a tin of apricots instead? I like it with apricots in it. :roll:

I used to make it with both apricot pieces and nectar. These days I dont because the kids prefer it without. I personally like it with the apricot pieces. You could just use a tin of apricots in juice instead of teh nectar. It would be YUMMY :)

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:03 pm 
Hainan chicken. It's the most beautiful dish and very simple, though probably not stupid proof. But if you do it once, you'll have the hang of it forever!

The only ingredients are a whole chook, a bunch of spring onions, a large knob of ginger, vegetable oil and salt. Rice and Asian greens are the side dishes.

1. Poach a whole chook in lightly salted water with a few ginger slices and a couple of chopped spring onions for 30 minutes then leave the whole pot sitting off heat with lid on for 10 more minutes.
2. Finely chop 4 spring onions and mix with 1 inch grated knob of ginger and 1 level teaspoon salt. Set mixture aside in heatproof bowl.
3. Heat 5 tablespoons vege oil to just smoking, then pour hot oil over spring onion ginger mixture (caution — sizzles).
4. Serve chicken pieces topped with ginger/spring onion mixture on bed of rice. We usually eat this with broth-wilted Asian greens as well.
It's a great way to eat home grown chicken, because it doesn't disguise the chicken flavour. Also skinned birds suit poaching better than they suit any other cooking method.
The sauce is very intense-flavoured, salty and of course high in oil, but you don't use much per serving (about a dessert spoon full).
Totally yummy if you like that hint of Chinatown.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:30 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Thanks for the recipe new feathers I read it on here late one afternoon and within half an hour it was cooking on my stove for tea.... truly delicious, ultra easy and thoroughly recommended.

I just dredged my chicken pieces in the taco seasoning powder mix. Fried them lightly in olive oil in a fryingpan. Chucked in the first jar of tomato sauce that I came across in the pantry (Bertolli Five Brothers Grilled Summer Vegetable Pasta Sauce). Cooked for about 20 minutes more, and served it up with a salad and steamed whole carrots to a very appreciative family.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:48 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

I don't know the name of this one but it is delicious.

Using a rectangular casserole dish spray the bottom lightly with oil.
Layer the bottom with thick slices of onion on top of this lay potatoes peeled(your preference) and sliced in halves.
On top of the potatoe place Chicken drumsticks.
Over the top of the chicken add dobs of butter heaps of crushed garlic and a light sprinkle of fresh rosemary.
Place in a mod oven until cooked.
If you like you can take out the chicken and the potatoes and put into a different dish into the oven and let the potatoes crisp more. You can make a gravy from the onion and juices in the bottom of the pan adding a little sage but not too much.
I don't as I find I like to just spoon the onion juices over the chicken on the serving plate.

If you don't like garlic you could omit and add other herbs but I love the aroma its just mouth watering.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:52 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Heres another one I whipped up earlier in the week after work with what I had in the fridge and pantry plus a cooked chook i grabbed on the way home.
fry a sliced leek, a cup or 2 of sliced mushrooms and a minced garlic clove or 2 until soft.
add a can of Cream of Mushroom condensed soup, a dash of milk and some sour cream.
When heated through, add chopped BBQ cooked chicken.
Toss through a packet of cooked fettucine.
It fed our family of 6 ( 4 adult and 2 toddlers sized serves, plus there was a plate left over for me for lunch the next day)
Everyone loved it and my workmates were drooling over the smell. Theres something special about leeks, thats for sure!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:41 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Didn't believe it until I tried it but below is hubby's secret roast chook recipe.
Put chook on roasting tray and pour over a can of coke. Put in oven and roast until cooked. This was my face when I watched around the kitchen corner at hubby prep'ing dinner... :shock:
Dead simple but works everytime ! Very, very tasty !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:39 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

:shock: :shock: wow really? Now that one i am gonna try just to see the kids faces when i tip a can of coke on the chook :yipee: they are not allowed to drink it :yipee: i will call it chooka-cola :yipee: and thanks dd73 my book is getting some really good recipe's that even my son can cook. Cheers julie oh and guess what . . . this week we discovered how easy bubble and squeak and snitzel is when done in the sandwich press. 2 bits of baking paper and no oil. Now i dont need a george foreman. :lol: No washing up either which was the bestest thing ever in our house. Just gotta be quick cuz cooks both sides at once :thumbs:.