Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Duck and chook eggs- taste difference?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:24 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

i dont have ducks, but someone has just informed me recently that some of them lay just as frequently as chooks? :shock:

my question is, how different do the eggs taste? Hubby says they are an acquired taste... :hmmm: is that right?

so what things can you do with them- recipe wise? same as with chook eggs? (cakes etc?)

Thanks! HBG :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:34 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

I know many bakeries etc swear by duck eggs. There is a pancake place in Glenrowen that only uses duck and goose eggs in their batter.

J

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:43 am 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Hi HBG, I think if you are cooking poached eggs etc. You can taste a slight difference (they still taste perfectly fine), but if making quiches, fritters, omelettes, frittatas, cakes etc.(Which I use them for mostly) You will not tell the difference. Now I have been asked by some cake decorating ladies if they can have eggs to make sponges and other cakes as they say they are the best. I can vouch for that. Also for Pavlova, but I havent tried that yet. But I imagine theyd be great as the whites are not as runny as chook eggs.The best thing to do would be to get some and try them out. My ducks are laying right through winter so thats got to be a good thing :)
Cheers, Wendy

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:07 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi HBG, My wife prefered to bake with duck eggs when she could get them. Luckily we were freinds with a family the had a free range egg business with both ducks and chooks.
As we had duck eggs very often she used them often in her business of special occasion cakes. Weddings, bithdays etc. She often used hem in sponges. Of course the free range eggs from either chook orduck made yellower colured cakes than shop bought eggs.
She even made sponges with swan eggs when she was given those.

Duck eggs do have a distinctive taste when eaten just as a poached or fried egg, some people do not like them but my family would almost kill for agood duck egg.

Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:16 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I have often wondered the same thing. I have never had a duck egg.

My hubby says his gran made the BEST sponges ever and she would only use duck eggs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:47 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yes they are amazing for cakes quiches, they make the cakes light and fluffy I use my pekin duck eggs for all of my baking and I am always asked what the secret is, Im guessing the duck eggs. As for scrambled poached or fried you can eat the but they are no where near as nice as good old chook eggs, duck eggs seem a little rubbery when fried as the whites are thicker but they are not yuk at all. Try one. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:06 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I have standing orders around september through to December for ladies around here who use them in their christmas cakes.
I use them for sponge cakes and pav's and hubbies loves nothnig more than a big plate of duck eggs with fried tomato and bacon. Fartin fodder he calls them. hehe I myself don't eat them as they taste too eggy to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:09 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I'm hoping to find out the difference for myself soon ... that is, if the supplier doesn't find it necessary to keep all of them for other orders!!

I would love to keep ducks/geese sometime but not until we can fox-proof our little house dam (and get a waterflow through it, otherwise it'll just mank up in 20 seconds flat; it's not a very big dam!).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:56 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

No matter what people do too the egg - i can pick a duck egg taste from the hen eggs. They are the one thing i dont like about ducks.

The texture is slightly different also.

Goose eggs on the other hand, have the same texture of a duck egg - but the flavour of a hen egg. I quite like goose eggs, about 7 hen eggs in one.

Honk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:09 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Chook eggs don't compare to duck eggs, I will always choose to eat or bake with duck eggs over hens- for anything!

My old Welsh Harlequins layed better than the ISA browns that we had, the pekins were very good aswel. My mussies are good layers- I would say comparible to some chook breeds, but generally the breed aren't known for their laying ability.

I would highly recomend giving them a go! You can't beat ducks as pets either :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:20 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

For a nutritional comparison this link has some information:

http://www.metzerfarms.com/nutri.htm

:)
Roova

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:23 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I'm not a big egg eater of any kind, but omoletes (spelling) made with mussie eggs are scrummy 8) :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:28 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Just read your link Roova, adding just a little milk also greatly improves whipping qualities of whole duck eggs, not sure about just egg whites though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:33 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I find my Mussie eggs have pretty much a solid yolk. Doesn't depend how fresh they are - they are just solid no matter what.

But as for taste - they can't be too bad, I make curried eggs nearly every month for at least one poultry club, and they always disappear, often before I even get one! :shock: I don't notice much difference at all.

I use them in cooking - choc chip biscuits, muffins, lemon butter, macaroons/impossible pie - beautiful.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:40 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

wow look at this, a whole page of replies! thanks everyone, this does sound like something i am going to have to try out for myself... :wink: now, um, without getting completley off subject... do they come in a range of colours like chook eggs? or are they all blue, like the colour duck egg blue that i commonly think of? :oops:

im such a duck amateur!! :lol: