Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - I am going to try some unusual plants this Spring

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:22 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Speaking of pumpkins, the smaller varieties are suitable for cool and temperate climate that don't have long, hot summer. Like the Golden Nugget or even this variety ...

It's called Small Sugar. Tried to grow it last year for the 1st time and succeeded. Took 5 months though to harvest 13 (lucky number!) fruits from 5 seeds (100% germination) sown directly on the ground, in mounds of course. Not as fleshy/meaty as others but its rockmelon size is perfect to feed singles or couples. I still have 3 left so definitely a good keeper. It's marketed by The Little Vegie Patch Company which I'm not associated in any way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:45 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

I love all sorts of pumpkins :o

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:05 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Thank you for the reminder that I need to order more horseradish. Apparently my mother loves it fresh but finds it hard to buy. "Taking over the joint" is NOT an issue here ...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:17 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Today planted some tumeric tubers. Have no idea if the will do OK here but plan to give them a try and see. Might help my memory improve :hiding

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:10 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Tumeric needs a warm summer and dies back in winter anyway. It does fine in SEQld.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:22 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Treat it like ginger, needs a good amount of water and if you can mulch with a thick layer of sawdust it grows up into it and helps deter nematodes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:28 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Thanks
I will cover it and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:41 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Time to plant your ginger now too if you like it! :-D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:08 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

redjohanna wrote:
Today planted some tumeric tubers. Have no idea if they will do OK here but plan to give them a try and see. Might help my memory improve :hiding
so how is the tumeric growing going redjohanna? i have just been given some and am about to plant it out since we have had some rain overnight. i will use some sawdust too.
thank you andrewschooks for the bulbs/corms/seeds.

plus if it assists memory, i hope i remember to eat it. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:16 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Nothing came up Grabby as yet. I checked the tubers for any growth and minimal budding happening. It has been cold here though. The tubers are not rotted so I shall wait and see.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:44 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

good to know i have not missed the tumeric boat for Victoria this year then. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:24 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Grabby you had rain, lucky ducks, we haven't had a drop this week, some nice clouds but nothing in them for us. Desperately dry.

All I grew on Cackles' original list are purple-podded peas, and horseradish. Have to say the peas are not nearly as lovely eating as the green bush-peas. And the green peas are still going nicely, whereas the purple podders have finished cropping, dried and died.

Red-letter weekend for us, after two years found an easier way to collect pony poo than with rake shovel and wheelbarrow and two hours a day, mission impossible. This is the most fabulous little thingey, unlike the unaffordable $5000 motor driven manure vacuums, which are quite hard work to use. This is like an old-fashioned manual carpet sweeper, four geared brushes fill the collector, it tows behind a mower (or car, or whatever) and is easily emptied.

Here it is, my little life-saver just ten minutes work, and half a dozen stacks all ready for the compost heap.

Trailer is loaded to take to the stack. And Ben wants to know where it's going and what's in it for him.

Now if only there was a little machine that would clean out the chook pens easily.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:48 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I'm in Melb and my galangal grows all over my place like a weed... Even to the point where it flowers too. Lemon grass has no issues at our place too.. Might be due to the location being frost protected.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:47 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

These are snake beans, the ones I grow are a dwarf form that is self supporting & therefore does not need a trellis to grow on. They are really productive in hot weather. Provided you pick them regularly, the beans are sweet and tender.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:51 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Cavollo Nero, very productive and pretty handy. We either eat it finely sliced in a salad (with a tahini-mirin dressing) or in a stir fry.

These plants are about two and a half years old. They seem to go on and on for years in Brisbane without ever flowering.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next