Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Free ranging in the veg garden

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:03 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

The girls have finally got access to the entire veg garden, and don't they love it! :claps:

I blocked the gaps in the fence, covered the most delicate crops, decided to do the rest next weekend and let them out anyway. They wandered the beds with garlic in them, and only knocked a few over with their digging. Given as there are around 80-100 garlic plants in there, I figured I could lose a few :lol:

Then they helped us plant some clumping bamboo - very curious about what was going on - and very helpfully dug and weeded and pooped on the vacant beds.

The greyhounds were in the adjacent dog run, and didn't bother to get off their beds to investigate the clucking feathered things that were wandering around the yard :woot:

And even better, they all put themselves to bed when it got dark, so no chasing of chookies required :catch:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:11 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Your chookies are spoilt!! You are lucky that your chooks are well behaved. I have to keep my chooks and ducks out of my ornamental garden most of the time as they completely trash my delicate cottage garden flowers within days! Ducks are allowed in when the snails become a problem. My vege patch is off site at the community garden so they cant get near it! They have access to the parts of the yard with things I dont mind them destroying :)

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:13 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Yes, I'm jealous! Mine get stuck straight into the spinach and rearrange all the seedlings the SECOND I turn my back. Could yours talk to mine, do you think, to point them in the right direction?? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:13 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

:lol: They really only had access to the garlic - the broccoli, silverbeet and rhubarb were covered, and the broad beans and peas are in a raised bed (~80-100cm) so they didn't hop up there. I was making sure they didn't dig in the area that I've got field mushrooms coming up through the pea mulch, I want to be the one to get them!

Once the spring/summer veg go in, I'll be putting up more netting so they'll be a bit more restricted, but there are also heaps of natives trees and bushes in amongst the veges, so they had a ball digging around under there as well.

The garden bed at the end of the yard is full of gone to seed cabbage and asian greens, just waiting for the chooks to find. They can discover that next time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:24 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Think I want to come back as one of your chooks in my next life :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:46 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

My girls try and push the gate over to get into my vegie garden! I've left most of the beds just mulched over winter (lack of time to garden) so they're FULL of worms now, the girls adore scratching and eating there. And the silverbeet, cabbage and leftover brussel sprout plants.... :roll:

I've just planed out most of the garden the last few days, if they get in there now I'll be very angry - not that I think my girls will care! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:14 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm covering the beds with poly pipe tunnels and bird netting (also chicken wire fencing around the base of the bigger beds) - hopefully this will chook proof them, and keep the blackbirds and possums out as well :lol:

Hoping there's enough goodies left in the vacant beds, plus enough weeds etc in the open spaces, to keep them focussed away from breaking and entering! :shock: