Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - butchering a chook for consumption, FINISHED !

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 11:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:13 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

ruff wrote:
nickgowers i quite agree with you. society has a lot of problems with death and life for that matter. we in western society cannot even cope with death of humans. in humans there is no easy way but our society gives very little support to pain management and easy death where an animal seems to have more rights here, or our ability to cope or to get support for such grief. this subject i really want to make people think of these things and mull them over. we cannot run away from death as we are all going to have to face it, we live so we must eat. both we must think about and must not run away from.

It's really a topic for another thread but I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Since modern medicine found so many ways to prevent deaths that were normal in previous societies, we've come to assume that death is optional, not mandatory. The majority of kids now grow up without having seen a single person die but 100 years ago, seeing a close relative die from consumption, TB, measles, smallpox, whooping cough, diptheria ... the list goes on - was bog normal. It was distressing, and people cried and ached and mourned the loss of their loved ones, but the support for the bereaved was greater because everyone had gone through it. There were protocols for what you did and what you said and how you did it.

Nowadays, people are uncomfortable to the point of fear or phobia about death - about their own death, about that of friends and family, and particularly about animals. Heck, they're uncomfortable about obvious signs of ageing, because getting older means getting closer to death. There is no differentiation between "murder" (which shouldn't happen) and "killing to eat" (which does), and so all death - natural, imposed, etc - is seen as "murder" and "wrong".

I wouldn't want to go back to those earlier ages - I wouldn't survive them myself, for a start - but there must be a way of bringing our society back to a more healthy relationship with death and dying ...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:14 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ruff, could you please add in what ages this is best done for tender meats.
This thread is fantastic and will come in handy as we have some excess 7week old roosters to be dealt with soon.
Thanks
Shea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:52 am 

:catch: OK, I'm just a woos, I just can't do it myself. Is there anyone near Maffra, Stratford, Sale who can kill my roosters for me? I am happy to pay to have them killed and skinned and returned to me for my food? I'm new to the area so have to find a despatcher. :thanks:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:55 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Ruff, your illustrations were perfect, and th'Bloke and I thank you enormously for making our first dispatch so much easier.

THANK YOU!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:30 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I too appreciated having such a good resource when the time came last month. Our chooks were very tasty, even if they were very small.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:21 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

does anyone hang thier birds[let them age] which they have had the chop ?if so how long ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:21 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

this post is a great help, thankyou,
ive been putting off the inevitable, ive never done this before and im a bit nervous, though i will have my 86 year old abuela (grandmother) to help me. this post has given me an idea of whats what and how to go about it all, my abuela will give me the hands on advice while im doing it. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:54 pm 
Thanks for all the information Ruff. I will read through a few times in preparation. I have about 3 weeks to go.
Can someone tell me how to avoid pin feathers? Will they be a problem at all with 20 week old Sussex boys?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:07 pm 
ok people i am ready to do some more. photos are going up now. i have had good light and hopefully the shots depict parts that there are questions. so here goes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:10 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

About time too K

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:34 pm 
ok some of this will be a rehash but hopefully it will help those who need more visuals.

the following are todays birds ready for gutting:

the crop is identified and the connective tissue is cut from around the crop. the bird was feed some grains before it was killed and this makes it easier to locate the crop, crop is darker with lumpy bits. you can also see the windpipe (trachea) attaced to the crop, light coloured tube. the crop is the top of the gut.

all is to be removed together when other end is opened and connective tissue is cut to free the intestines. best to cut a hole that you can insert your hand into the gut cavity.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:44 pm 
here is another shot of the first cut above the cloaca. mr ruff says this is just one way of doing it. others have their own way:

after the guts are removed and the cacity is hosed out:

you can see the back bone and ribs on the lower part of the bird. the lighter red is a few bits of remaining lungs. notice the nicely plucked parsons nose :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:51 pm 
to remove the legs from the thighs requires cutting and breaking the joint apart.

the success of plucking depends on a few things like the speed you start it after you have bled out the bird, the heat of the water, the pin feathers the bird has and the colours of the feathers. you can indulge in plucking all the tiniest bits or you can be less fussy. darker birds tend to show more stubs and it is not uncommon for hairs to remain:

now i have huge numbers of photos so if anyone wishes for more detail i should be able to oblige. any questions i am happy to help with. mr ruff goes back to work tomorrow and he is the expert but i can always email him questions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:34 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Can Mr Ruff debone a chicken for us to see?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:42 pm 
silence....then ..........nooo.

but he says he has a book somewhere.......however i have not seen it and i am in control of the books.

a good question and a good subject to photograph.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next