Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - butchering a chook for consumption, FINISHED !

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:13 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

1billy wrote:
Can Mr Ruff debone a chicken for us to see?

In the absence of Mr Ruff knowing how to de-bone a chicken I feel it is safe to advise that YouTube has a few good videos on the subject with step by step instructions. Just search for de-boning chicken and you should get a few results.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:35 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I think we have some members here with butcher husbands. Maybe they might oblige? It would be very good to see!

Ruff - excellent pictures!

NellyG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:38 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

BRILLIANT, Ruff. Those two photos and description of the cuts to clear the crop and cloaca (how alliterative) cover the bits we found the most difficult. THANK YOU!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:49 pm 
a couple of questions i see i have not answered.

pin feathers. you try to ensure the bird has minimum numbers of pinfeathers but it is not always convenient to grow birds so long. they are not too difficult to remove, it takes more time. white stubs are not as noticable as black stubs.

age of killing: the younger the better however it is better that the bird has filled out as best as possible. when they are alive feel their breasts and thighs to gauge. bantams obviously are earlier than large fowl. birds go through stages where they are leggy and lanky as they tend to grow in bursts, if you can catch them before a growth spurt. free ranging usues up food and also they do not eat as much (food consumption and feeding is another story). the only breed i know that can be allowed free range up until the time of killing is the indian game. the indian crosses can be done with free range but you need to wait longer for them to fill out, if you lock them up for a month or so this is much better.

2 weeks locking birds up is insufficient as birds take about 2 weeks to settle down. just having a plate of food infront of birds is not good enough unless birds have a strong eating urge like pure and crossbred indians and commercial broilers. 3 meals a day helps birds to eat to maximum and put on maximum weight. these meals should be what the bird will wolf down in half an hour and have a full crop. it takes time but in the olden days people had time to spare. if you don't have the time then buy a frozen chook. flavour comes from food variety, commercial preparations tend to make meat blander.

ensure your confined birds are kept under humane conditions with good food , clean water and clean cages. they might only be grown for eating but they too desearve a reasonable life. also good sanitary condions is important for your own health as well as birds kept in poor sanitary conditions can pick up diseases that can be transfered to humans.

it is important to kill and dress a bird as quickly as possible and cool it as quickly as possible. more later

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:53 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Fantastic. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:25 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

That's excellent because you've just answered why my otherwise-lovely bird was less filled-out in the chest region than I would have liked. It wasn't illness - just a growth spurt. Should have done him about two weeks earlier. Oh well. He still dressed out at 1.4kg which isn't bad, and his thighs were lovely :)

You've also reassured me that the two boys in a tractor, fairly restrained but room to move around and jump on and off a strawbale and perch and dig dustbaths, are the right way to go about things. They're fed a mix of commercial Red Hen Blue plus additional cracked corn and lots of greenery and fresh scraps and stuff. They still look a little leaner than I'd like but the weather's been against us and they might be having another growth spurt.

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:48 pm 
epilogue:

stuffing the chook and preparing for cooking:

bread, chillie, garlic, fresh herbs, eggs, beer/cider/white wine, pine nuts,diced mushroom, finely diced bacon or ham.

then drizzel some extra virgin olive oil over the top, cover and cook.

when it comes out of the oven i will put up the results.

Last edited by ruff on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:55 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Wow. That looks so good. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:17 pm 
well to finish the topic here is the final photo:

unfortunatly it was all wasted on me as otherhalf brought home a bug from PNG which he has shared with me. although i think i have escaped all that he had.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:05 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

*salivating* my favourite part of the chook, too - drumstick :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:07 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

we did 4 Australorps today and even tho we plucked them pretty cleanly, there were the black bases of the feathers left in the skin. is there any way to avoid this? Did we scald too long or something and the feathers snapped off instead of pulling out?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:25 pm 
sounds like pin feathers....feathers that are still growing. this is why some prefer white feathered birds or you can try and judge when the birds have moulted fully, this involves checking the birds over reularly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:40 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

ruff wrote:
sounds like pin feathers....feathers that are still growing. this is why some prefer white feathered birds or you can try and judge when the birds have moulted fully, this involves checking the birds over reularly.

Can you taste or feel the "crunch" of the pin feathers when eaten(if you miss some at plucking)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:56 pm 
i have never really noticed any crunch. but they are soft tissue still with blood supply so i expect not. all you have to do is pull a growing feather out of a live chook and see how soft they are. when the feather stops growing it looses its blood supply and becomes dead hard tissue. the more pin feathers a bird has the more of a pain it is to pluck. if you ensure it is pretty well fully feathered, and you check this by feel and looking through the feathers, there is no problem. not sure what a lavender bird would be like though :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:34 pm 
as an after thought...don't waste the last bits. boil them up to make a great indian soup. this was made with the indian game, vegies, garlic, birds eye chillies and i forgot the mixed herbs. but unlike bought mass produced chicken this 5 month old indian still tasted like chicken.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next