Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Anyone have a good recipe for duck breast?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:18 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

And especially the full fat versions with lots of crispy skin :biggrin:
I splurged at the supermarket and bought 2.
Note to self, never, ever go shopping when hungry.
I don't usually and tonight my wallet is hurting.

But back to the question, I don't mind the fat percentages nor the calories as long as the flavour is superb!!
In fact for flavour, the more fat the better, mmmmmm yumm.

So I await your replies with drooling anticipation. :bounce:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:54 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Hahahahaa...

I'm interested in good duck recipes myself as I'll be cooking a few soon.... Yeah.... And fat ROCKS..!

Nath..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:48 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Well you could do one similar to what I do with the chicken breasts and that is cut the breast in half but not completely. . stuff with camembert and pour duck fat over the top and slow cook in an oven bag. You could wrap bacon around the outside of it as well.

Here's a website I found..nice recipe's there
http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zduck40.html
By the way..Nath when I culled some drakes last year and we slow roasted them we kept the duck fat. It is THE most devine fat to use to bake potato's in. Super YUMMY.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:57 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Are yes.... Now we're talking..! I can't wait to give it a go...

Cheers,

Nath..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:01 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Duck or goose fat potatoes are the absolute best.
Only I have to buy my goose fat.

I suppose there's a thick enough layer of fat that I shouldn't need to pour fat over it? I like the bacon idea.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:49 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Found this on the "Cuisine" Web site:
There was a yummy looking photo to go with it too.

ROASTED DUCK BREAST WITH WILD RICE PILAF

Ingredients
Roasted Duck Breast

1 tablespoon sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cumin
6 duck breasts, at least 200g each

Aromatic Wild Rice Pilaf

1 cup wild rice
6 cups water
salt
60g butter
½ teaspoon freshly ground coriander
2 tablespoons currants, soaked in tea for at least 30 minutes then drained
finely chopped zest of ½ an orange
fresh thyme leaves or chopped
fresh sage leaves (optional)

Method
Roasted Duck Breast
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Combine the salt, pepper and spices, and rub into the duck breasts. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Rinse the spice mix off the duck breasts and dry well with paper towels. Score the duck breasts in a criss-cross pattern, making sure the marks cut through the fat but not into the meat.

Pan-sear the duck breasts skin side down in a hot pan for 2 minutes. Turn over and sear for a further minute then place skin side down on a baking tray and bake for 5-7 minutes (for a 200g duck breast). They should be firm but still resilient to the touch.

Transfer to a warm plate and rest, tented with foil, for around 4 minutes. Season well before slicing and serving. Serves 6.

Aromatic Wild Rice Pilaf
Wild rice is not really rice at all but is related to oats. I enjoy its nutty texture, which is further enhanced if the rice is sautéed in a little butter after its initial cooking. That is also a good time to add herbs, aromatics and other embellishments.

Wash the rice in a fine colander with plenty of running water then drain. Bring 6 cups of water to the boil, add salt and cook the rice for 15-20 minutes or until tender and the grains have opened up. Drain.

Heat the butter in a large pan. When foaming, add the cooked rice. Sprinkle the coriander, currants and orange zest over.

Cook over a medium heat, stirring and ensuring the rice is evenly coated with the butter. Season to taste. Add thyme or sage if desired.

I might give it a try.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:53 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Here's another from the same site - sounds interesting

Pan-Fried Duck Breast with Eggplant, Tomatoes & Figs

01 / 09 / 04 Ray McVinnie

I discovered the combination of fig and tomato flavours in an Arab-influenced soup in southern Spain and I thought it unlikely – until I tasted it and found it deliciously sweet and sour. In this recipe I have used these same flavours as an accompaniment to the richness of pan-fried duck breast. Remember when you are pan-frying duck breast that it is a little like cooking steak. Unlike roast duck, which should be falling-off-the-bones tender, pan-fried duck breasts are more like steak in that they are slightly chewy.

Ingredients
6 single duck breasts, skin scored down
olive oil for frying
1 large eggplant, cut into thin wedges
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon saffron, toasted carefully in a dry pan until fragrant (be careful not to burn it), instantly removed to a plate to cool and ground to a powder with dry fingertips
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
8 dried figs, halved
3 large sprigs fresh thyme
thinly sliced skin of 1 preserved lemon (citron confit)
8 vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
1 cup green olives
sea salt to taste

Method
Heat a large frying pan over moderate heat and add the duck breasts, skin side down. (You do not need to add oil to the pan as there is enough fat under the skin of the breasts.) Once frying, lower heat slightly and pan-fry for 8 minutes on the skin side, then turn and fry for 4 minutes on the flesh side. They will be pink and juicy inside but not raw. If you want them even more rare, cook for less time on the flesh side (they need to be well cooked on the skin side to melt the fat). Remove from the heat and pour the fat from the pan – either save it for other uses or discard.Place the cooked duck breasts on a plate, cover them with another plate and reserve in a warm place to rest.Add a little oil to the pan and place it back on to moderate heat. Fry eggplant until well browned on each side of each wedge. Do this in batches if necessary. To begin with the eggplant will soak up the oil but as the wedges get hot the oil will seep out again and they will fry. While they should be quite oily, don’t just keep adding oil if they soak it up – they will become too greasy. Remove the wedges as they brown and drain on paper towels. Reserve.Wipe out the pan with paper towels and add 4 tablespoons of oil to the pan. Then add the onion, saffron, garlic, figs, thyme and preserved lemon. Fry very gently, without browning, until the onion is soft (about 15 minutes).Add the tomatoes, olives and cooked eggplant, mix well, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes over low heat. Taste and season with salt.Uncover the duck breasts. Don’t worry if they are not still piping hot; it is not important. Pour the juice that has seeped from the duck breasts into the eggplant mixture. Slice each duck breast in half, across the grain of the meat, and place on top of the eggplant mixture to serve. Good with plain long-grain white rice or couscous. Serves 6.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:56 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Ah and last but not least, this may the one worth trying

Pan-fried Duck Breast, Bacon & Apple Salad

31 / 08 / 07 Ray McVinnie

Whereas I like roast duck to be falling-off-the-bones tender with a crisp skin, I also like the delicious chewiness and winey flavour of pan-fried duck breasts. Although they are quite small, their richness and combination with bacon in the following salad means that two will make a good first course or lunch for four people.

Ingredients
2 single duck breasts, about 150g each
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/4 cup well-flavoured red wine
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, squashed
3 handfuls salad greens
4 rashers rindless bacon, cut into bite-size pieces
3 firm sweet apples, peeled, cored andsliced just before you need them so they don't go brown
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
3 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal

Method
Score the skin of the duck breasts in a criss-cross grid pattern almost down to the flesh. Put the breasts into a shallow bowl and add the pepper, wine, oil and garlic. Toss everything well, cover and leave to marinate for 12 hours or a minimum of 2 hours.Put the salad greens into a salad bowl and set aside.Heat a frying pan over moderate heat and add the drained duck breasts, skin side down. Pan-fry over moderate heat for 8-10 minutes. Quite a lot of fat will come out of the duck. Take the pan off the heat and carefully pour this off. Turn the breasts and pan-fry on the flesh side for a further 3-4 minutes. I like the duck pink and juicy and just cooked. Remove from the pan, put the breasts on to a warm plate and cover with another plate while you finish the salad.Put the pan back on the heat. (More fat will have come out of the duck breasts after they were turned.) Add the bacon and apples and pan-fry until the bacon is crisp and the apples well browned and just tender. Remove from the heat.Slice the duck breasts thinly and sprinkle the sliced breasts, bacon and apples over the salad greens in the bowl.Put the pan back on the heat. When it is hot add the vinegar, quickly scraping up any caramelised pan juices with a wooden spoon.Pour the hot vinegar over the salad. Sprinkle with the spring onions and serve immediately with chewy white sourdough bread. Serves 4.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:08 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Something we have done from time to time is simply put the meat into a cliplock back full of proper orange juice (not apple de-esterfied juice with Israeli concentrate) and leave for several hours.

All other flavours and spices added later.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:10 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

That's a super idea Mickey.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:49 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Gosh I can't wait to get these ducks done now!! I'll be giving that eggplant one a go I reckon as the different flavours would be so ....different? And that salad? perfect for my lunches at work. hehe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:41 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

There are quite a few duck recipes on the cuisine site I only put up the ones for duck breast.
Go to Cuisine.co.nz and use the recipe search function.
I have to admit that my other addiction is food and I have bought the cuisine magazine religiously since 1994.
Tonight I'm doing the roasted breast as in the first recipe above, but I can't be bothered doing the pilaf. Goose fat potatoes and some veges will do.
I'll let you know how it is, I've already put the rub on the meat.
I love being home alone because I can experiment and treat myself.
Oh and I can eat eggplant too yay!! ( My dad hates it unfortunately).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:57 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Alright, now I'm skiting.
I did the duck breast roasted as in the first recipe.
But I cooked it skin side up - the skin was crispy, but I think it would have been anyway.
I also cooked it for 10 mins as I'm always skeptical of recipes involving roasting meat - usually they are far too underdone for me ( and I like my meat medium rare).
I think 10mins was a tad too long, there was still a hint of pink juices in the middle but it was just a smidgeon past medium rare. So 7 mins as per recipe would be perfick.
The cumin and coriander were very subtle, but the salt strong. Luckiy I like salt. ( and I did rinse it too).
Other than that superb!!! YUM YUM YUM, and I wish there was more.

HA HA !! - I have two more goose fat potatoes in the oven. Back soon :bolt:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:50 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Wow..thanks for the update on your meal Meridith it sounds devine. I can't wait to do these ducks now and give some of these recipes a go.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:06 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Tonight I'm cooking the other breast. I've marinated it today in Maggi sweet plum marinade ( cheating, I know).
I'll use the 2 minute each side pan-sear then baste again and bake in oven for 7 mins.
We'll see how it goes.