Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Christmas Chicken Stuffing - Ideas for Gluten free

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:50 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

:hiya:

I am wondering if anyone has any gluten free recipes for chicken stuffing please?

:thanks:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:13 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I don't stuff chicken because I don't like stuffing - I find it stodgy and heavy and dry (my sister loves it though). I fill the cavity with fruit and herbs to promote even cooking and flavour - lemon and a handful of whatever's fresh in the garden (often parsley, thyme, oregano, rosemary) and whole unpeeled garlic cloves is the common one. The gravy from the juices is excellent as a result.

When I have wanted to make an actual stuffing, I once made a gorgeous one using chestnuts, fresh and dried mushrooms, herbs (dried and fresh), garlic, oil/butter, salt/pepper to flavour, and eggs, blended into a rough breadcrumb texture. It was a lot less heavy than the breadcrumby one and I really loved it. Chestnuts can be found in tins. Add bacon for non-vegos - reduce the oil/butter content if so.

You could easily use other nuts - some will go better than others. Pine nuts if you can afford them; macadamia nuts, bunya nuts - all the waxy absorbent ones. Almonds would make it quite sweet and less absorbent, more crunchy, but use lots of mushrooms and you're good.

The thing about stuffing is that it needs to absorb some of the juices, rather than letting them go to waste in the bottom of the pan, without generating too many juices of its own, hence the use of breadcrumbs. If removing then, you need to add something else absorbent instead. Mushrooms are _brilliant_ for this although they do generate some of their own juices first. Actually, eggplant might work quite well as well - chop into smallish cubes and mix with the other ingredients.

Hmmm ... I LIKE the thought of eggplant! I might try that sometime!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:46 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I made a gluten free stuffing for a turkey a few years ago when we had a caeliac friend over for tea.

I can't remember much from it except I used rice flour as a substitute for breadcrumbs.

Another friend the following year bought gluten free bread and used that to make the stuffing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:59 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I agree with infoaddict - eggplant can absorb a lot of liquid as it cooks - but I've never used it in chicken. Worth a try, I think. I never do the breadcrumb thing with chicken, and especially not those dried herb mixtures, which are far too strong for my family.

I like mixtures such as apricots, onions, celery and walnuts. Or just whole lemons to fill the cavity. Last time I cooked a chook I used limes and leeks, but that was for flavour, not a stuffing you could serve out. Another thing I've done is a sort of stir -fried rice with vegs & herbs, which I have stuffed a chicken with.

If you must have breadcrumbs, there are gluten-free ones, but they are very dry for everyday eating, so would probably be very suitable and absorb lots of moisture in the chook. I've used them for crumbing fish and chicken bits and they work well. (I'm not a coeliac, but have to limit my wheat.)

Happy cooking

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:15 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

thanks for your ideas everyone.

The family dont like fruit with meat except for apple sauce with pork so I might try the chestnut, mushroom and herb one.

:thanks:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:16 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

what herbs would you suggest info?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:13 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I if you want a bread stuffing. I just throw day old gluten free bread in the food processer for crumbs then add a chopped onion, salt and pepper, whatever fresh herbs I feel like and an egg to hold it together. It works quite well. Or just substitute these crumbs for "normal" ones in a fancy turkey stuffing. I've done this before when I've had the family for Christmas and no complaints. Believe me my family would complain if they didn't like it.

If I can't be bothered with stuffing a chook a few sprigs of french tarragon and a bit of butter in the chook gives a lovely flavor.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:57 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I use whatever herbs are to hand! If you're going for an asian/lemony flavour, lemon peel, coriander, lemon thyme, and a little chopped rosemary would be excellent. For an English flavour, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (hey, it's a classic :) ). You could also go Moroccan with preserved lemons, mint, cumin and coriander seed, rosemary, and oregano.

My random mix tends to be parsley, oregano, rosemary, sage, and dill, because that's what tends to be growing readily :)

And the suggestion of rice is also excellent. I had a brilliant fish with rice stuffing once. I think the rice needs to be par-cooked before adding to the chicken, and you need to make quite a wet rice mixture. Rice with mushrooms, mushrooms, diced capsicum, and preserved lemons is delicious!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:38 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I used rice once for stuffing, the chickens blew up :shock: they were these hugely distorted things with splitting skin and legs and wings stuck out at right angles :lol: tasted great though :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:01 am 
Wise One
Wise One

:rofl: :rofl: purplegirl :rofl: :rofl:

That would have been an interesting dinner. Did you serve it to be carved at the table?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:44 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

You've just _confirmed_ that the rice needs to be parcooked first. I did always wonder what would happen if you put raw rice in the centre of a chook ... :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:22 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I was flicking through some old books I have and one suggested couscous as an alternative too

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:25 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I think couscous is made from wheat but I could perhaps use fine Quinoa instead.

Thanks for the idea :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:25 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Yes, couscous is a form of wheat. But polenta isn't! (it's corn). It takes up a LOT of water though, so quantities would have to be fairly precise or you'd end up with an exploded chicken again ...

Quinoa would make quite a loose stuffing, like the nutty ones I originally suggested. Be quite tasty!

Good ideas!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:49 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

i am pretty sure i remember seeing a packet mix for gf stuffing in coles if you didnt want to make one yourself... i was considering it for our chicken if we are home on Christmas day.