Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - black chook recipes??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: black chook recipes??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:55 pm 
i was wandering if anyone had any traditional black chook recipes. i was interested in the traditional thoughts and methods of cooking as i have one in the freezer at the moment and would like to have a go at it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:16 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

How 'traditional'? are you interested in the 'traditional' chinese herbal soup with black chook?

Chinese Herbal Soup with Black chook video link

not to everyone taste though...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:23 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Your post has intrigued me.

What do you mean by black chook?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:15 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

chook with black skin/meat like a silkie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:41 pm 
i cannot find my photo at the moment but black to the bone.

i will check that link out. after i mow the last of the lawn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:43 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

That would be great thanks ruff. :claps: I didnt know that there was any such thing as black chicken meat! Just goes to show you learn something new everyday!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:19 pm 
well i watched the video, very interesting. the chicken looks just like mine but we gutted it and cut its feet off :roll:

i wander if you can go to the chinese shop and get little quantities of these herbs.

so thanks jojochooks i have added it to my favourites and play it to AH when he gets home...i know now he will be totally against it and especially against giblets in the cooking sigh :roll:

i wander if i cook it when he is not around and surprise him and not show him the video :lol: somehow i think he will be very suspicious of the black colour.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:26 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

If you go to a Chinese shop, should be able to get premixed herbs (enough for 1 chook), better yet, pm me your mailing address I get K the cook (OH) to put a pack together and send it your way with cooking instruction... :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:19 pm 
found:

this bird went very dark over night in the freezer. i cannot take photos at the moment as computer has a problem. i do not know if they get darker than this but he had a black face.

depending how the brew tastes will depend if i think about breeding more, perhaps a bit meatier.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:36 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

:lol: :lol: :lol: He looks pretty skinny in the pictures, ruff! I have a couple of silkie boys I am trying to give away. If I have to kill them I may be tempted to try the recipe too!

NellyG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:48 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

K the cook is going to made the 'brew' for me with my remaining cockerel tomorrow... He promise to take picture at every step (I will be at work).. It won't be the same without the 'black chook', don't know where to get 'black chook' in Brissie.. but it will give ruff idea on the 'making' part.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:05 pm 
he is black red oeg bantam cross sebright. i think he looks pretty fair when you compare him with what the asians use. on the left is a pure large indian on the right is a bitsa bantam...pekin indian sebright if i remember. you cannot expect him to look anything like an indian and he had very little fat.

i would try the markets jojo if you are after the silkie ckl rejects. however i would always be careful of what could have been done to these birds like sprays and wormers. if it were me i would keep them a couple of weeks alive to feed them up and hopefully remove any medications in system.....and that is why i like my own chooks as i know what have done to them.

i am hoping on a brahma indian cross going into the freezer in the next 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:19 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I found this thread very interesting and informative. I never new that chickens could have black skin and flesh. I think I have learnt more on here than I ever did at school - and that is not just pertaining to chooks!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:16 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Hi Ruff - If it were me - Curry, lots of it, yellow all over the top and then don't look at it - just eat it! Remembering I have a partner who needs the seeds taken out of his tomato . . . . :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:23 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Oh I'd go the indian (chook 1) I can just imagine it a golden colour surrounded by baked veges. Sorry guys but I just couldn't eat the black chook.
I find the bantams such a lot of work for very little meat but sometimes you can't waste them either.
Just thinking imagine the black flesh with the purple carrots and bright green peas and yellow corn what a colourful plate it would make sitting on a bed of some wild rice. I could just maybe be converted :wink:
Enjoy Ruff. :)