Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Butchered chook weight VS live chook weight?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:47 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi all,

I hope this is in the right forum but I was wondering what sort of weight loss there is after butchering a bird. Is it a percentage or a fairly standard weight.

We have some cockerals that are just starting to crow and we can't have them here due to council regulations. They are still very young. Only about 11 weeks old. They currently weigh between 2.8 and 3.0 kg. Are they too small / young?

Also slightly off topic, I bought a brand new hatchet to do the deed when I need to and it seems a little blunt, they all did, should I get it sharpened professionally or just do it with a file in the workshop or just leave it as it is?

Thanks for the help. It's my first dispatch.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:34 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Ours are usually around 2-2.5kg liveweight when we slaughter, depending on the breed mix. Dressed weight is usually around 1.3-2kg, plenty for the 2 of us. Starting out with almost 3kg (that's huge at 11 weeks!) should give you a nice amount of meat.
Just sharpen the hatchet up with a file, if you've got a vice to hold it the job's a doddle. I do it before every chook dispatching session to be sure it's sharp enough.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:50 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Anna wrote:
Ours are usually around 2-2.5kg liveweight when we slaughter, depending on the breed mix. Dressed weight is usually around 1.3-2kg, plenty for the 2 of us. Starting out with almost 3kg (that's huge at 11 weeks!) should give you a nice amount of meat.
Just sharpen the hatchet up with a file, if you've got a vice to hold it the job's a doddle. I do it before every chook dispatching session to be sure it's sharp enough.

often at a young age they can weigh a lot but they are not yet fat.
what breed are they?
3kg is huge for 11 weeks are they broilers?

Regards Youri.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:15 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Funny you should say that Youri, I did the job today. They are Australorp cockerals. The main problem I had was that they weren't 3kg... They were 3lbs. Was looking at the wrong dial on the scales... DAMN!

They ended up being just about 800g dressed weight. Pretty miserable amount for the amount of work involved but atleast I know it was quick and clean.

I feel a bit sick now. Guess I am a bit sook at heart. At least I know I can do it if the need arises later in the chookies lives.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:32 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Oh, that's a bit of a let down taz! I have a couple here from ruffs eggs that are heavy and whilst I haven't weighed them I reckon every bit of 3 - 4 kilos and man he is the biggest cockerel in my yards and only 4 - 5 months. Marans x indian game. He is a magnificent beast. Long thick legs big broad chest and back and when he stands up he is at knee height on me.
I can't wait to hatch his progeny. If they are anything like him then our freezer will be well taken care of.
Cheers julie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:57 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

If I was to do it again, I would have to make a small drill operated plucker I think. That was the worst bit of all. THe gutting wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I was expecting slimy insides but it is very dry and smooth. Not at all what I was expecting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:02 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Last two cockerels I did were silkie crosses and were similar to yours Taz, about 1.3kg (3lbs) to start with and dressed out to around the 700-800g (1 1/2 to 1 3/4lbs) mark. A nice feed for the two of us, as long as no one wants thirds.

I have a PR, from Jack Pavey's line, I think he is a he, and is a whopper at only 4 and a bit months. Still very immature but starting to get aggressive, he really, really likes toes (Hey, it's hot and I wear flip flops, term used so as not to freak our Northern Hemisphere friends out by saying Thongs.), and he drops the head and flares the neck feathers as if ready for a fight. I have three young kids that love to help with the chooky chores and don't want them to be scared or attacked so I feel he is for the chop soon, his live versus dressed weight is going to be interesting to see,

Ron

Last edited by rotten_66 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:15 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

There is absolutely no fat on the ones I did. Lean as lean can be. I could actually see the different muscles in the leg. A big surprise after only having shop bought crazy chooks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:55 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: oh ron, roosters hate thongs don't they!! I think its the sound of them that sets them off, like the beating of wings just before a crow. Ours hate them too.
Cheers julie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:37 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

new feathers wrote:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: oh ron, roosters hate thongs don't they!! I think its the sound of them that sets them off, like the beating of wings just before a crow. Ours hate them too.
Cheers julie

Julie,

Could be, none of the other roosters we have ever had have been as "menacing" as this chap seems to be, he'll come up and have a nibble as you hold something down for them like bread or spinach, and then he'll walk off. You go back out five minutes later to throw some scratch mix around or with some more stuff the kids didn't eat that you missed the first time around and it's as if someone has flicked a switch, he comes out all "punchy" and aggro. I am a bit hesitant to "do" him now as I'm not 100% that he is a he, very close to that, but still a glimmer of hope, and if he is a "nasty" piece of work I'd never try to sell him as it wouldn't feel right to me.

Ron

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:00 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'd be interested to know, but I'm not sure how to go about weighing a live bird (apart from getting on the scales with and without it). Any other ideas?

The last 2 Australorp cockerels I did were 2.08kg and 2.4kg when they went into the fridge (you could say dressed, but they look more undressed at that stage really). They were 19 weeks old and had just started crowing. I have a couple of Light Sussex to be done in the morning so I might try the scales before and after and post the figures (if I remember).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:25 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Some people have a spring balance - a hook hangs off a scale and measures what you hang on the hook. Pop chook in a 'green' shopping bag, hang handles on hook.

I just use my kitchen scales (they go up to 5kg) put a large stainless steel bowl on top of them and pop the chook in. They stay still long enough to get a measurement.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:35 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I found that hanging them upside down by the legs until they settle down and then putting them on the scales up the right way gave me a good 30 seconds on the scale without any movement.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:19 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

2 Light Sussex cockerels 22wks old live weight 3kg and 2.5kg (me on scales with and without them) and final weight in plastic bags is 2.1kg and 1.6kg.

I think the light sussex are all fluff and feathers because these looked like big birds. they were penned with the Australorps I processed 3 weeks ago that finished at 2.4 and 2.1kg.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:09 pm 
This is an old post, but someone might be interested.
We did 6 X 22 week old Light sussex last week. The dressed weights in kg were, from biggest to smallest: 2.6, 2.5, 2.4, 2.25, 2.25, 2.0
These were not fattened. They were fed on grower pellets and a very small amount of corn, and allowed to free range all day for the last 8 weeks.
They had lots of yellow fat, compared to the last ones which were Light Sussex X Silver Grey Dorking, and were much leaner.
I checked out the weight of supermarket chickens the other day for comparisson, and they were mostly 1.5 or less.
I haven't counted the weight of the organ meat, or necks in the above. We use these too.

Cheers, Jan