Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Beef Jerky anybody??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beef Jerky anybody??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:31 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi All
i have toyed with the idea of making my own beef jerky at home as I really enjoy eating it but by jeez it's dear! Does anyone have experience in the process or recipes that may give me a head start? Any tips or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Martin

Post subject: Re: Beef Jerky anybody??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:35 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

common jerky is salted dried meat and yep good tucker.try livestock and farming at your local libary or try googling jerky recipes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:41 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

There is a recipe for jerky on the River Cottage website under Winter Warmers. I plan to give it a try too. If only to figure out how to eat the stuff. I refuse to buy the commercial strips because of the price and the possibility of something nasty going into the curing process.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:03 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Also search for biltong recipes.

J

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:04 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

The doc makes it - totally delicious and quite simple.

The most important thing is to use a very lean cut of meat. The drying process is not hot enough to render out fat and any fat left in the jerky will go rancid quite quickly. She uses topside. Buy it in a whole piece and slightly freeze it to make it rigid. It's then very easy to slice thin and evenly.

Put your slices into a marinade for a few hours in the fridge. Usually we just use a commercial teriyaki sauce - it seems to produce a nice combination of salty, savoury and a little bit of spice. You don't want to conceal the beef flavour, so personally I think overloading it with lots of pepper for instance is a waste of the effort.

Then if you have a dehydrator that can get to 75 celsius (we have a Sunbeam one, and extra drying trays) you pop your slices in there, wait for it to dry rotating the trays as instructed. It takes a long time - 8 hours plus, but it's basically idiot proof, you can't burn it, you can only dry it too far. We usually find there will be a few thicker pieces need to stay in a bit longer.

Or you can do it in a low oven straight on the racks, fan forced ideal, to the same effect.

You need temperature of at least 75 to make it safe, but you want to dry it out rather than cook it. Let it cool, stick in something airtight, the more airtight the better, particularly if you're somewhere humid.

Clean up is a bit trying since you have marinade that has dried into glue on either your dehydrator or oven racks. Don't try fighting it, soak everything in hot water until it softens again and then get it off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:06 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Can't help with biltong, but there is a nice pastrami recipe on the same site. Now Pastrami, I adore, and can not get enough of, but can not afford, so that too will be added to the list of 'things to try' once the kitchen is functioning.

Will give your recipe a go too Sydneysider.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:33 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

i have made jerky in my water smoker just marinate in soy garlic chilli over night then smoke for 1.5 hours very nice :woot:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:01 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Biltong is very traditonal African food. I know a lot about biltong. You have to make a biltong box first. Wooden on three sides top and bottom, and one side must be fly mesh. We use rump, cut into strips about 15-20cms long, against the grain. About an inch thick. Make little hooks out of wire in an S shape, and in your box put up dowel racks to hang the meat from. The spices are, for 2 kgs rump, one tablespoon coriander whole, 1 teaspoon of peppercorns, and enough salt to get an even coat on the meat (not too thick). Roast the spices quickly over a hot pan, and grind them to just coarse in a mortar and pestle. Rub spices over meat strips and then salt them. Thread a hook into one end of the meat and hang on the dowel. You also need a low-watt light at the top of the box to evaporate any moisture, and a very small fan (like a computer fan) on the bottom blowing upwards. Leave the biltong for ten days or so, but start checking on the 6-7th day. My dad makes masses of biltong in autumn when the weather is cooler and dry. He just uses a wardrobe lined with newspaper. But you have to be pretty experienced to do it this way, or you could lose the meat to rot. In Africa, the humidity is low (in Zimbabwe), and the winds dessicating, so there, we literally hang meat in the trees. There is a herb there that deters blowflies that is used, it's called Delele, I have never found it in Australia though. Try to find a 20watt light bulb, or if 40 watt only, hang the meat on the lower racks and not too close to the heat source.
Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:49 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

marinated topside is ideal. Trim off all fat & cut into long thin strips about 1cm x 1cm cross section.

I used to make in winter when there is low humidity and flies less of a problem. Paper clips opened up made good hooks to hang on the clothes line. Ensure there is clear air around each strip & after a few hours the outer will dry & flies wont bother.

When dry, I'd chop up into small pieces and put into jars. Have to be real dry or will go mouldy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:51 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Sydneyside wrote:
The doc makes it - totally delicious and quite simple.

The most important thing is to use a very lean cut of meat. The drying process is not hot enough to render out fat and any fat left in the jerky will go rancid quite quickly. She uses topside. Buy it in a whole piece and slightly freeze it to make it rigid. It's then very easy to slice thin and evenly.

Put your slices into a marinade for a few hours in the fridge. Usually we just use a commercial teriyaki sauce - it seems to produce a nice combination of salty, savoury and a little bit of spice. You don't want to conceal the beef flavour, so personally I think overloading it with lots of pepper for instance is a waste of the effort.

Then if you have a dehydrator that can get to 75 celsius (we have a Sunbeam one, and extra drying trays) you pop your slices in there, wait for it to dry rotating the trays as instructed. It takes a long time - 8 hours plus, but it's basically idiot proof, you can't burn it, you can only dry it too far. We usually find there will be a few thicker pieces need to stay in a bit longer.

Or you can do it in a low oven straight on the racks, fan forced ideal, to the same effect.

You need temperature of at least 75 to make it safe, but you want to dry it out rather than cook it. Let it cool, stick in something airtight, the more airtight the better, particularly if you're somewhere humid.

Clean up is a bit trying since you have marinade that has dried into glue on either your dehydrator or oven racks. Don't try fighting it, soak everything in hot water until it softens again and then get it off.

We used to make jerky, when we lived in Canada, and this is exactly how we did it!
I might have to make some more, I love it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:38 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I was remembering past batches. Another nice mix is a bit of soy with some tequilla and lime juice in it. This section needs an eatin smiley!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:21 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks guys, this is definately a very good start. I like the idea of smoking it aswell. Will let you know how it eventuates.

Cheers

Martin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:56 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

My mate from shcool makes it out of deer meat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:55 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

It's excellent with roo as well, esp. as roo is very lean.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:58 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

roo& deer are great very strong yum :claps: