Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Hard boiled Eggs hard to peel

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:10 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

We're finding the eggs from our girls (isa browns) are very hard to peel when hard boiled.

Even my usual trick of boiling one night and peeling next morning after cooling in fridge doesn't seem to work.

The girls get fed, grain, pellets, greens and free ranging on weekends when we're home to supervise.

Does anyone else have this problem or other tricks?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Fresh eggs are hard to peel. Once they are a few weeks old or so, they are easy to peel.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:13 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

i add salt to the water then when ready into room temp water my grandmother always did it this way it works

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:15 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

use eggs at least 2 weeks old. the ageing weakens the connection between the egg white, and the skin/membrane under the shell.

if you drain the boiling water, then put the eggs immediately into the sink filled with ice&water (nice and cold) then you will not only find them super easy to peel, but they will never get those annoying dark ring around the yolk.

:-)

Barnevelders - Coronation/Light Sussex - Bronze Turkeys - Rhode Island Reds - Plymouth Rocks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:21 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

There are other older posts asking this same question and I'm sure I read about a lady who uses a spoon to slide between the shell and eggs and has some success popping the shell off this way. I believe even for those hard to peel fresh eggs.

Personally I have found I only need to leave them to age a couple of days rather than a couple of weeks before boiling and they become much easier to peel. I guess you could test out the perfect age gap through trial and error :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:27 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

A teaspoon of bicarb in the water to lower the pH will also help stop the adherence of the membrane to the shell. Don't let the water boil like crazy either, gentle boil if plenty. Then I agree with cooling before peeling, at least a few mins in cold water but I often eat mine warm and have no trouble peeling them if they have at least cooled a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:36 pm 
It can vary depending on the variety of hen too. My Barnevelder eggs (when they deigned to lay any) were the easiest eggs I have ever peeled, even when fresh.
Generally I use eggs that are at least a week old for hard boiling.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:33 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

if you have to use fresh eggs (less than 2 week old), when just about ready crack shell before removing from water. Take off heat and leave a few minutes before peeling.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:12 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I might have some hard boiled eggs in the morning now after this advise. I havent had them for a while because none of my eggs ever get old enough for it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:11 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I tried mine at a few days old and they were impossible. I'd say they need to be at least a week old!!

Maybe time of year is relevant as well ... I'm sure I've done ones under a week old and they were ok. Maybe it's breed as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:24 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I agree the eggs need to be a couple of days old to peel sucessfully
The best way to peel eggs is as soon as they are cooked, drop eggs and hot water into the sink and fill the pot with cold water. Put the eggs back into the pot of cold water but before you do, crack the shell well which allows the sulphur to escape (no black ring around the yolk) and enables the water to seep between the shell and the membrane. This way they peel quite easliy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:10 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

yes it is easier if they are at least 1-2 weeks old. also what i have found is if you start peeling at the round end(the end with the air sack) is goes much better, try it next time to hard boil eggs, it even helps if the eggs are over the 2+ week mark.

regards youri.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:00 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I confirm the previous suggestions regarding dropping the eggs gently into cold water as soon as boiled ....but my secret is cracking the egg shells while still under the water - once you get one bit of the membrane free the rest comes off easily but the water needs to be chilly and it has to be done immediately the egg is boiled.

I have used this successfully with eggs a few days old just today as it happens. and those weeny bantam eggs are darned fiddly i can tell you!! But it works....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:39 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

How you store your eggs is also a factor. Eggs stored at room temp age far quicker than those in the fridge. I read somewhere (and can't find the reference now) that a day on the bench is equivalent to a week in the fridge.

If you don't have week old eggs then maybe you NEED more chooks?? :biggrin: :biggrin: It's a logic that's sure to appeal to someone in need of an excuse...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:06 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I think you are RIGHT!! What a great reason for more chooks!! :D Love it and going to use it!