Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Bananna Suckers

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bananna Suckers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:17 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi All,
I have been hunting around for about 2 weeks now trying to find some of the the above.
After ringing and visiting over 20 nurseries I have come to the conclusion that it is a line you cannot buy there.

I have tried the local produce shop and they dont know where to buy them either.

I never thought trying to grow your own bananna's would be so bloody hard

Looks like I might have to change to some citrus trees Bummer!!!!!!!!!

Scott

Post subject: Re: Bananna Suckers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:26 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I think you need a permit to grow them to prevent the spread of disease threatening the commercial industry. Which is probably why you can't find any to buy. I suspect someone from QLD will have more specific info.
ETA: Yeah - I remember now - it was a segment on Gardening Australia:
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2189533.htm
And here's DPI QLD's info sheet:
http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/horticulture/5201.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:36 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

You are not allowed to grow cavindish Bananna's because of that reason but you can grow Sugars and Fruitsalad ones without any problems

All I have done in the past at my other places is rang up the council and let them know that you want to plant some and then that's that.

But even so you would think you would be able to go and by some from somewhere wouldnt you?

Scott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:14 pm 
Hi Scott,
if you see a house with banana trees, ask if you can buy a couple of suckers. They sucker madly and it can be a pain to have to dig them out each time.
PM me if you want some from Coffs Harbour, though it's a long way.
Jennie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:24 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks Jennie for the offer it was very kind of you.

I have had several BYP members from around my area off some to me so I should be able to start growing my own Bananna's very soon.

Thanks to everyone for your help

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:10 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

transporting bananas (even varieties other than cavendish) you need to make sure that you don't cross any 'banana borders' whether it's NSW to QLD, or even Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast (as you go past Maroochydore on the Sunshine Motorway there are even large signs)

if you have someone in the same district - ie you're in Caboolture Shire, and so are they - generally it's all good. Call your local council to tell them where you are coming from with yours (when you pick them up) to make sure there is no risk.

I (being in the Moreton Bay Region, nee Caboolture Shire) do happen to have three large stands of the sweetest lady finger bananas you can imagine - that are suckering like madly with all this rain. They are available to anyone with a shovel and the will to use it. feel free to PM me!

we give them away to friends, neighbours, and of course the chooks, they fruit so prolifically... more than we can eat! large bunches of fat fingers too... no disease or bunchy-top. beautiful, home grown, and organic. (the local bats will also have a go if i forget to drop a tree)

Barnevelders - Coronation/Light Sussex - Bronze Turkeys - Rhode Island Reds - Plymouth Rocks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:37 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Just to let you know, you only need a permit if you plant the banana trees... if they were already there you don't need a permit. Ours must have been planted the day before we moved in because they were very small then... we have been here about 18 months now.

We have four ducasse banana trees that grow 2-3m tall, as well as a baby dwarf of some variety. None of them have fruited yet, although we hope to get some this season. Two have a medium plant and a few baby suckers, and the other two have suckers as well. If anyone is interested in Ducasse suckers in West Brisbane let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:47 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

donna74 wrote:
Just to let you know, you only need a permit if you plant the banana trees... if they were already there you don't need a permit. Ours must have been planted the day before we moved in because they were very small then... we have been here about 18 months now.

We have four ducasse banana trees that grow 2-3m tall, as well as a baby dwarf of some variety. None of them have fruited yet, although we hope to get some this season. Two have a medium plant and a few baby suckers, and the other two have suckers as well. If anyone is interested in Ducasse suckers in West Brisbane let me know.

yes please yes please yes please :claps:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:31 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

jojochooks wrote:
donna74 wrote:
yes please yes please yes please :claps:

JoJo, from memory your hubby works at Inala Library, maybe could organise him to pick them up in a couple of weeks? Otherwise I think you might know Florence... could you pick them up from there after 27/02??

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:45 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I have a friend name Florence who have a couple of chooks.. are we refer to the same Florence?? I can definitely get OH to pick up sometime after work.. either way is fine.. I will send the rest in a PM :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:58 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Are you allowed to post them south? Eg melbourne? Disregarding the climate not being right and all but are you?
Cheers julie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:43 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

By the way, chickens love sugar bananas but you have to peel them first.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:33 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

When is the next time you are heading far north Scott? My young bloke is a grower in Innisfail (if you go up that far ) He'll look after you if I let him know before hand .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:58 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Banannas will grow in colder areas if against a north facing shed etc and they do produce some fruit .
I saw some growing in a eastern Tasmania .
All ya got to do is wait for the fruit then perfect the art of bending them .Hehe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:30 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Everone,
Thanks for all the ideas and kind gestures.
Martin not sure when heading up that way at this stage but when I do I will let you know. Some Innisfail banannas would be great

Scooter