Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - 'Slaughter waste' question

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:12 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

For those of you who butcher ducks and roosters I have a question. I don't know how to word this so if anyone takes offence I am happy for the moderators to amend or move this post as appropriate.

What do people do with the slaughter waste after they butcher a fowl? When I was younger we would bury it in the vegetable garden or near a fruit tree, but that option runs out after a few birds have been put in the oven.

I know that feathers go well in the compost, but what about the head, feet and entrails? After breeding, raising and feeding the birds it feels wrong to throw those parts away.

I have read about people feeding it back to the birds but I don't know if I would be comfortable with that. Any suggestions, and hearing what you do, would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:19 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I have heard people putting them into a compost. Not sure about head and feet maybe you could bury them and compost the rest. The only thing to be careful with using the compost is attracting rodents otherwise I don't see why they wouldn't brake down.
The other thing is to burn them and then add the ash to your compost.

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:49 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I was kind of hoping that people might post what they do. I know some of the forum members will eat quite a lot of their birds so must have a lot of experience to share.

I read somewhere about people putting it in a bucket with holes suspended above the run so it works like a maggotry. The idea being that flies infest it, maggots fall out of the holes in the bucket, and the chickens/ducks eat the maggots. Does anyone have any experience with this? I imagine that the chances you would lose your flock to a disease would be low because you only use your own birds so would not bring in new diseases?

I also read somewhere else about muscovy ducks being fed rabbit slaughter waste in developing nations. Could that idea be extended to poultry slaughter waste or would it be wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:23 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I'm up to the killing stage I haven't even got my eggs yet (but will tomorrow :Lil: ) but I plan to burn them I think it is the cleanest way, and how doesn't like a fire :D

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:21 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

The feet go into the soup!! You can scald them and skin them and add them to any soup you are making. The bones add substance to the stock and the meat is very tasty. The entrails - well, after you extract the heart, liver, gizzard etc for the soup, then they can be boiled up separately and yes, fed back to the chooks as part of their protein allowance. It does smell rather nasty though, so make sure you do it near a window (or outside if you have that option). Waste not want not!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:38 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I boil everything of use and feed back to the chooks.... They love it..!

Feathers get composted.... A bit of protein in a compost bin really helps the little bio-buddies get cranking...

Nath..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:38 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Cut the toe nails off and feed the feet to the dogs (if you have some) I used to throw the dogs the legs of the magpie geese after a good days hunting and they loved them. Good for the teeth. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:21 am 
i found my dogs very handy for eating heads, legs and a few other things but they had a habit of burying them around the place to let them mature for a couple of days. one would get a fright when the dog was found eating a leg a few days later.

on the other hand we tend to kill on rubbish night and wrap the bits up and put them in the bin.....don't forget to put the bin out though as if you do you are going to have to think of another dispossal method as the stench will be too bad to tolerate and may cause complaints from or to the council.

but yes they give an excellent start to newly planted trees.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:13 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

This is a good question. If we ever get up the courage necessary to behead any of our 15 plus roosters walking around here this would be something we'd have to consider. I have one large dog and two smaller ones who I imagine would eat the leftovers as such I can't imagine any of it being harmful to them. As Ruff said though after a few kills I think the dogs would take to burying them rather than eating them straight away. No council problem here but there sure would be a big influx of Wedgetailed eagles frequenting our paddocks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:17 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I do pretty much all of the above except boiling the feet in a soup..ick..lol
We bury what we can as we do have a lot of fruit trees. we also make a maggot growing station but find that this generally only works really well in summer down here. The feathers go in the compost or under the fruit trees with mulch on top. If we are feeling lazy on the day of killing (like we did when we culled 24 ducks and drakes in one day) we wrap in newspaper and send away in the wheelie bin.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:43 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I feed it to the cats.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:33 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

This is great something I have not thought about people having to dispose of guts, we have an offal pit for dead sheep and the likes so it could go there but it’s not a option for everyone.
Most of the offal hearts, kidneys, gizzards, feet (and when my mates are out they put the heads in) all in to soup. Livers in to pate when I get to making it.
My mates will take the intestines home and eat it, it’s like paste when cooked they tell me I have not had a run at it yet.
But if you can put it were your tomatoes will be next year you will be on a winner bury it with a few banana peels, you will have a very fertile bed for planting when let rot for a few months.
Feathers are the worst I have found there is not too much waste with the guts here, when we do our Muscovy ‘s we end up with feathers every were I burn them or bury them, as white feathers are the best at lasting forever in the yard when one of my dogs pulls them out of the compost.
Whatever you do be aware that you may have Cats & Foxes come looking if you don’t bury it deep enough or dispose of it correctly.
Regards
Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:45 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Only the head and feathers go in my compost bin.The worms love it. Every thing else is consumed by myself or my dogs. I dont bother cutting off toenails and the likes. Think wolves, feral dogs, foxes and naughty pets, no one carefully prepared their meal for them. If your dogs are burying bits, they are not truly hungry. With hold it until they are and I guarantee they will gobble it all up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:29 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks for the suggestions!

Chook Tragic mentioned boiling before feeding it to the chooks, what is that for? Does the boiling kill of any disease? Or does it make it esaier for them to eat? Or somehting else?

Making the soup is somehting that I am yet to try, I am kind of interested to see how that goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:47 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Boiling will kill off any diseases, make it easier to handle/chop up into their food and also ensure that the chickens don't get the idea innards are good food (just in case one of them has a nasty accident which then becomes worse because their flock-mates spot the innards and have a good tuck-in).