Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - braised goose

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: braised goose
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:47 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I was trawling the internet last night to find a way to cook the goose that I planned to slaughter today. It is a two year old goose, so will require slow cooking and my oven does not have that sort of control over its operations, so I needed something that would adapt to the slow cooker. The stock is cooking at present, and the casserole itself will be made up on Thursday once I collect the red wine and vinegar on a trip to town. I suspect that if you have geese, the roasted option does lose its appeal after a while, so hopefully you will enjoy this recipe as much as the smells suggest I will enjoy it ...

Braised Goose
From Victoria Magazine - December 1996 Issue
Ingredients (Serves 6)
1 10- to 12-pound goose,
quartered, backbone with
wings removed - reserved
2 onions, chopped coarsely
4 celery stalks,
chopped coarsely
2 carrots, chopped coarsely
1 leek, quartered
2 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs rosemary
8 sage leaves
3 bay leaves
2 tablespoons black
peppercorns
4 cloves garlic
½ teaspoons cumin seed
3 cups dry red wine
4 cups veal stock
6 cups goose stock
1 ½ cups seeded chopped
tomatoes
1 cup sugar
½ cup red-wine vinegar
2 teaspoons cracked black
pepper
Salt to taste
Fresh red currants and sprigs of rosemary for garnish
In a stock pot, set over moderately high heat, brown the goose bones, gizzards, and any meat scraps, turning frequently. Add ½ the onion, 2 celery stalks, 1 carrot, and ¼ the leek, all coarsely chopped, and cook, stirring, until vegetables are brown. Add 1 sprig of thyme, 1 sprig of rosemary, 3 sage leaves, 2 bay leaves, and the black peppercorns. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring the stock to a boil and simmer, skimming occasionally, for 6 hours. Strain the stock.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Heat a high-sided roasting pan or large casserole over moderate heat to hot. Add the goose breasts and legs, skin side down, and brown. Turn over and brown other side. Drain off all but ¼ cup of the fat from the pan. Add the remaining vegetables and garlic, then cook, stirring frequently, until browned. Add the cumin seed, red wine, veal stock, goose stock, and tomatoes, bring liquid to a boil, and cover.

Transfer pan to the oven and braise goose for 1 ½ hours or until meat is very tender and pulling away from the bones. Transfer meat to a platter and strain cooking liquid into another pan. Degrease surface of fat and keep warm.

Meanwhile, in a skillet set over moderately high heat, cook the sugar until melted, stirring and washing any sugar crystals clinging to the sides of the pan with a brush dipped in cold water. Continue to boil the sugar, shaking the pan over heat, until deep golden. Carefully add the vinegar and simmer, stirring, until mixture is combined well. Add caramel mixture to braising liquid. Season sauce with salt and cracked pepper to taste. (Sauce should be sweet, sour, and peppery.)

Remove the leg bones and breast bones from the goose. Cut the leg in half and the breast into 4 slices.

Serve the goose with the sauce. Garnish with the red currants and sprigs of fresh rosemary.

Post subject: Re: braised goose
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:31 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I hope you have a BIG slow cooker! Do let us know how it turns out. :thumbs:

NellyG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:08 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I boned it out Nellie, so only the breast and legs are going into the slow-cooker. The bones and wings went into a stock pot. The stock smells divine. The rest of the dish will be going on tonight when I get back from the dentist with a cask of decentish red and some red-wine vinegar in the hand not clutching my jaw :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:54 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Nelly was quite right. This recipe does not fit into a slow-cooker. Too many liquids... To get around this, on this occasion, I cooked it off on the top of the woodheater for about an hour so the flavours could meld into the juices, then transferred the solids, and sufficient liquid into the slow-cooker to let it cook. Before adding the sugar mixture (which goes to toffee and then has to be melted back to a liquid for half an hour), I mixed the reserved fluids with those in the pot, and heated them all back to the desired temperature. Once the liquid had been strained of the excess vegetables, this worked just fine.

There are in fact far too many liquids for the necessary cooking and serving process. The sauce ends up very tasty, but as thin as water. Doing it over again, I would reduce all liquid quantities by at least 25%, while keeping them in proportion. I might even consider thickening the sauce with a little arrowroot, but only slightly as it is quite a light and tasty sauce and you would not want it gluggy. This is what it looked like at serving. You will need lots of mashed potato or crusty bread to sop up the juices.

I will add veges next time - not sufficient space on top of the woodheater to do them this time ...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:51 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Yummo.

Love a good meaty dish with mashed tatoes and lots of mopping up with crunchy bread.

Do you think you could do it on a bbq, one of those ones with a hood that is. I have done a few roasts and even tried, really emphasise tried, a lasagna this way,

Ron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:08 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Could you take out the goose and boil the liquid to reduce it?

Looks yum :D

What would be excellent is goose confit (wings and legs), done in goose fat. I do duck confit in duck fat at 90 degrees C in a cast iron pot in the oven for about 3 hours. Done in the frypan at the end to crisp the skin. Something similar might work with goose.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:43 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Ron, if you have reasonable temperature control on your barby then yes, I expect you could to it under the hood. I have yet to venture into barbecue-top cooking as it is a little too chilly to be standing around outside here at this time of the year. I was doing most of the preparatory cooking on the top of the Bakers Oven woodheater I have. The oven itself is way too hot for the sort of slow cooking this would require though so that was why it was necessary to transfer the contents to the slowcooker (my kitchen is still in the process of installation).

70% Cocoa, yes a confit is on the list. But I will wait till I have my oven commissioned to I have better oven control than I have at present. I have reserved the fat from this goose to add to the fat of the next one - that should provide sufficient to achieve the desired results ...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:56 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

hillbilly girl wrote:
70% Cocoa, yes a confit is on the list. But I will wait till I have my oven commissioned to I have better oven control than I have at present. I have reserved the fat from this goose to add to the fat of the next one - that should provide sufficient to achieve the desired results ...
Well I bet it'll be magnificent. I know it's got MY tummy rumblin'.