Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Easy tasty mini sausage rolls

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:49 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

1/2 kilo double minced pork mince (if you cant get it just put through processor or use hand blender
1/2 kilo sausage mince
1 onion, minced
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon of mixed herbs
1 desertspoon chicken stock powder
5 sheets puff pastry
1 or 2 egg whites whisked with a little water

put minces, onion, garlic, herbs and stock powder in large bowl and massage together until evenly distributed.

lay pastry sheets out on bench and cut each one into three strips.

spread a thin strip of mince mixture (about the size of a thin sausage) on each strip of pastry- dont be too generous or sausage rolls will break/split open.

Using a pastry brush paint one side of each pastry strip with egg white and water wash and then roll pastry over mince onto itself to seal making sure that join is on underside.

Cut each roll into 3 or 4 and then put a slit in pastry in middle of each sausage roll.

Put sausage rolls on slightly greased or lined baking sheets and paint each sausage roll with egg white and water wash.

Bake in preheated 200 deg celcius oven for about 15 to 20 mins or until golden brown.

Variations

use all pork mince (double minced), grated apple and sage, a little sea salt and cracked pepper instead of stock powder( you may need to add a little fresh bread crumbs if mixture is too wet.

Try 1 kg chicken mince with chopped semi sundried tomatoes( not too many) and finely chopped bacon with italian herbs instead of mixed herbs.

1/2 kilo double minced pork and mince up 1/2 kilo chorizo with a clove of garlic and minced onion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:41 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

:bounce: :bounce: YUMMO :bounce: :bounce: that sounds delicious, i shall try it next time i have a get together :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:52 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Similar to the chorizo variation I always mince up some salami to pop in my beef sausage rolls. I also cook the onion first as these little rolls do cook pretty quickly and I have a fella who dislikes the 'raw-er' taste of onion.
I admire you, idealistic getting 3 strips and rolling them skinny enough! I usually only manage 2 strips from each pastry sheet. It's funny how popular sausage rolls always are, even with guests who fancy themselves a little bit posh!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:15 am 
We aren't that far from you...
Do you post samples out? :woot:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:42 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

elmochook wrote:
Similar to the chorizo variation I always mince up some salami to pop in my beef sausage rolls. I also cook the onion first as these little rolls do cook pretty quickly and I have a fella who dislikes the 'raw-er' taste of onion.
I admire you, idealistic getting 3 strips and rolling them skinny enough! I usually only manage 2 strips from each pastry sheet. It's funny how popular sausage rolls always are, even with guests who fancy themselves a little bit posh!

That is why I always mince the onion with my hand held blender or through the processor.

Oh and I forgot - these sausage rolls can be made with 100% beef mince meat.