Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - "Slow" cookers.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Slow" cookers.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:53 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi, everyone,
I would lke to get more involved with helping my poor very harding working wife with some of the cooking, she works shift work and on call most nights and we have 3 little children, 11,10 and 7 we were late starters!!. We recently bought a slow cooker and I feel that I should be able to prepare more evening meals with this applicance. I can cook steak and eggs ok!!

Anyway today I have taken to plunge to try and prepare tonights meal from a receipe from the Ronson slow cooking manual, Chicken in a pot. sounds simple,when I dropped the kids off for school off with my shopping list and bought the ingredients we didnt have. I have followed the instructions, 4 carrots sliced, 4 onions sliced, 4 stalks of celery, 2 kg of chicken, I bought 1 kg of legs and 1 kg of breast, salt pepper 1 cup of chicken stock and basil oregano, Put it all together and into the cooker, its full let me tell you, and just turned it on, (tea at 6.30pm) and ran to the computor for your further help. I did put in a tin of mushrooms and a tin of diced tomatoe, thought they would be OK and not bugger it up.

I am concerned that there is very little liquid as all slow cooking I have seen done has generally had a lot of liquid, to me there is nothing to stir, but anyway we are away with 3 children as testers its going to want to be good.

I would really like to do a good job of this and I dont want to bugger it up, also Iam keen to do more,I am quite keen to learn. I would like to do a lemon or plum chicken dish as well any ideas on a receipe for these sort of dishes, the kids do love rice so anything with rice would be OK too.

So what do I do now, will it require some form of stirring later today.
If you do explain something to me make it simple please, i'm not too bright.

I would like this to be a nice surprise when the boss gets home from work rather than having to fix up my mess!!.

thanks..

Peter

Post subject: Re: "Slow" cookers.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:14 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

It shouldn't need stirring, but a few stirs won't kill it. :lol:

The most popular uses for slow cookers are stews and casseroles, which is probably why you are worried about there not being enough liquid. You will find liquid will seep out of the meat. And because of the lid, most of the steam won't escape, so the meat won't dry out.

I did a boneless chicken roast in the slowcooker, put no water in there to begin with, when it was done, there was almost an inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:22 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Good on you, Peter, I am sure that whatever you produce will make your wife very happy. I'm sure it'll be delicious too!

As Ravyk says, just let it sit there and do its thing. The recipe will have everything in the right quantities and the slow cooker will work its magic. The tin of mushrooms and the tin of tomato sound like great things to add though so you did good there - they will work well with the other flavours you have in the pot already. With those extra tins of veg you will have a bit of extra moisture too.

Your other ideas for meals sound fantastic. There is heaps of potential to make a huge range of yummy things with a slow cooker. As you try more and more things you will learn about which quantities of meat and liquid and herbs etc work well and you will begin to experiment more.

Just like incubating eggs on hatch day - leave the cooker alone and enjoy the results :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:28 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

LIke above post don't worry about moisture to much, the veges have alot of water in them aswell as the meat. The lid will create its own moisture as well. DO NOT add salt until the end as adding salt at the beginning of things that cook for a long time will make the dish to salty at the end always season at the end, always add fresh herbs at the end aswell (if your adding fresh herbs). As for recipes just type slow cooker recipes into google. IF your not just after slow cooker recipes type in plum chicken recipe into google hell google anything you like then recipe at the end. Don't stress your OH will absolutely LOVE what your cooking she will be so pleased that she didn't have to do it :D.

It's so lovely to see people wanting to try cooking its not done enough these days.

Lockit (btw im a 3rd year chef) :D
xo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:47 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Have found that especially for casseroles they work best if 2/3 to 3/4 full.

The missus convinced me to buy a large one (Think it is 6 litres or thereabouts.) for entertaining purposes, for which it is perfect, but it is way too big for just the three of us, five in the family but the two boys are "fussy eaters", we need a second one at 2-3litres for everyday use.

We have done an older rooster, cut into pieces, in a Thai coconut curry inspired sauce very nice but probably cooked for slightly too long as he was a tad bit dry. Still yummo though.

Haven't tried a roast in it yet.

Ron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:52 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Slowcooked corned beef is to die for. :yipee: And really easy too! All I use is a lump of corned beef and 1-2 bottles of Bundenberg Ginger Beer. And then cook it for 4-5 hours on high or 8-9 hours on low.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:00 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Zebs wrote:
I dont want to bugger it up
...lol I reckon slow cooking is nearly impossible to mess up (unless you get adventurous and try some fancy dessert cooking in it, nah even then you'd be fine), there is a reason they are a busy woman's best friend :thumbs: Good on you for having a crack (and for actually being worried about the end result...that gets you bonus points!)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:11 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Thanks everyone,

I have just come back into the house from the first run around the chooks, and it does smell good I can tell you, it actually does look good too, (so far) the little button mushrooms perhaps should have been spread through the dish rather than just on top but heck I will get that right next time.

I have however just read that the dish serves 10-12 so we may be eating it for a few meals be it good or bad. :aaargh:

So far so good, 6 hrs to go.

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:14 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Zebs wrote:
I have however just read that the dish serves 10-12 so we may be eating it for a few meals be it good or bad. :aaargh:
:rofl:

We will all be looking out for a full report tomorrow :thumbs:

I bet it smells fantastic :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:57 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

70%cocoa wrote:
Zebs wrote:
:rofl:

We will all be looking out for a full report tomorrow :thumbs:

I bet it smells fantastic :D

Reckon if you leave now you should be able to make it in time for a late dinner!!

Ron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:00 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

You read my mind, Ron :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:45 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

There was another older thread on slow cookers with quite a lot of recipes (some were really good too!) I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is Slow Cooker Recipes

The spare ribs one is yummo!!

NellyG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:29 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Well you've inspired me to do a slow cooked meal for tonight. I currently have Moroccan lamb casserole cooking away in my slow cooker.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:58 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Mmmmmm. I can smell it cooking from here. Smells delicious!

Other BYPers are right you know. It is indeed difficult to mess up a slow cooker recipe.

I never even brown my meat before putting it in the cooker. Just wack the whole lot in, give it a stir. Put the lid on. Turn up the heat and forget about it for 4 hours.

I had some gravy beef in the fridge a few weeks ago and decided to make pies from it. So I just cut it up into chunks (the gravy beef, not the fridge); chucked it into the slow cooker; added 2 cloves of garlic; a small slurp of white wine (all I had in the fridge); about 4 tablespoons of gravox and a quarter cup of water. Turned the heat to high for 4 hours, then to low for 2 hours. It was so delicious I had to work at the speed of light in order to get the meat into pies before my husband ate it all whilst using the pretense that he was standing there to keep me company.

A truly delicious easy way to cook rice as an accompaniment to a slow cooked meal is....

1 cup rice serves 2 people. I use Jasmine or Basmati for more flavour...

Wash the required volume of rice until the water runs clear, then place it into a saucepan.
Cover with tap temperature cold water to a depth of about 1 inch above the rice.
Add a heaped teaspoon of chicken stock powder (use massell it's the best)
Add a large clove of garlic crushed.
Add about a heaped tablespoon of coconut powder.
Give it all a gentle stir with a fork.
Heat until the water starts to boil.
Immediately place a lid on the saucepan and turn the heat down to the very lowest setting.
Cook for ten minutes without lifting the lid.
Then turn the heat off. DONT lift the lid. Place a folded up tea towel over the saucepan and let it sit for up to half an hour before you lift the lid.
Gently fork the rice to fluff it up. Serve with your meal.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:04 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

I've never had a slow cooker. Is it really different to an electric frypan on the lowest possible setting?