Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - More light in jungle –for a while

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:50 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

There is a Poinciana to the south of me and at the weekend it was lopped by my neighbour. I had reckoned it would be only a matter of time before he would need to trim it as it was beginning to overhang their house and drop leaves there apart from being several metres into my “food garden” and pushing over and shading my banana clump and pawpaws. I quite like having it as part of my borrowed landscape. The fellow doing the trimming had a you-beaut little chainsaw on a pole which he used from ground level. As I’ve still not filled all my raised beds one in the area is still more or less being used as a compost bin and the foliage went into that while the branches under 7cm diameter will go through my Greenfield Piecemaker. The lopping didn’t disturb the chooks very much except when they had to dodge out of the way of some of the bigger branches coming down. A few pics:

The lopped tree in neighbour's place to the south of me

Remnants of once-thriving banana clump, lucky pineapple and inquisitive chook

A few hours later

Foliage to fancy compost bin

Big Blue with feed for Mr Greenfield (chipper)

And a lot more work to be done.

:D

Last edited by Cackles on Tue May 10, 2011 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:03 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Is that a pinaple sage you have there? I like sucking the juice from the flowers :)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:09 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Yes. It grows wild here - good for attracting pollinators and the poultry seem to especially like red flowers too. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:57 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Yes I have one in the chookyard between the vege area and one up in the other garden. One has darker leaves than the other could be a different variety.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:35 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

That will make nice high nitrogen mulch being from a legume :D We have a little Poinciana been growing for years but is finally out of the reach of the cattle and horses so has thrived this year with the rain. I can't wait to do some trimming on it and put it through my new mulcher haha.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:34 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

cackles, I love the compost bin. Do you know someone who curves iron?
Or did you buy it?
I have a great custom made curved iron compost bin. Love it.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:46 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

:lol: I went to a Farm Fantastic show a couple of years ago and went a bit overboard ordering 10 garden surrounds - that is the only one left to fill. I bought 4 round ones and 6 oval ones - most 40cm tall but 3 including that one 80cm high. They are much, much better quality than any others I've seen. I thought I was going to have to move my banana clump into it but maybe can postpone that now that lopping has been done. :P

This is the mob that they came from. The freight from sunshine coast wasn't any more than I'd have to pay to get a piece of furniture delivered from just around the corner here!

http://www.kissproducts.com.au/

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:44 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Mr. Holland wrote:
That will make nice high nitrogen mulch being from a legume :D We have a little Poinciana been growing for years but is finally out of the reach of the cattle and horses so has thrived this year with the rain. I can't wait to do some trimming on it and put it through my new mulcher haha.

Not 100% certain of this but while Poinciana is a legume I think it is a non nodulating type and therefore not nitrogen fixing.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:06 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

All legumes are nitrogen fixing, some are obviously better than others but all legumes by definition will fixate nitrogen to some degree.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:23 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Mr. Holland wrote:
All legumes are nitrogen fixing, some are obviously better than others but all legumes by definition will fixate nitrogen to some degree.

No that is absolutely not true. There are a truckload of legume species that are not nitrogen fixing.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:04 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

If you google legume, and read the wikipedia page there is a section there stating that as a plant family they are nitrogen fixing. Also the wikipedia article for Poinciana also states that it is nitrogen fixing, the only thing I can think of is that some legumes require inoculation of their seed when planting so that the most efficient rhizobia nodules can form (and even without it nodules will form with whatever is available in the soil). But if you can point me to a credible source to the contrary I'd be happy to learn. I googled "what legumes don't fixate/fix nitrogen" and didn't come up with any ideal results.

edit: After some thought perhaps your confused with what nitrogen fixation is, its the process of "fixating" nitrogen from the atmosphere as N2 and converting it into NH3 for uses by the legume itself, perhaps what you are talking about are species that have spillover nitrogen and release the excess into the soil as I don't think all legumes do this. In order for you to add extra nitrogen to the soil from species with no spillover you have to dig in all the plant matter into the soil as that is what contains the vast majority of the fixated nitrogen.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:29 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

In Legume subfamilies Caesalpinioideae, Mimosoideae, and Papilionoideae, about 75%, 10%, and 3% of species, respectively, are not nitrogen fixers. Just shows what misinformation you can pick up from google!

In relation to your term "spill over". With respect, that is rubbish. Those legumes that fix nitrogen do so for their own use. If they subsequently die or are composted and nitrogen is released into the environment then that is how it gets back into the system for other plants to use.