Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How many eggs do you eat in a day?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:16 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I think I'm addicted to eggs. :oops: I think about them all the time and if I don't have my eggs for breakfast I feel like I've missed something really important.

Every morning I have two eggs for breakfast (poached, fried, scrambled or soft boiled) then most days I use eggs in another recipe, so I average at least 3 eggs a day. Sometimes I will have poached eggs on toast for breakfast then scrambled eggs on couscous for dinner. :confused:

Is this normal when you become a back yard egg farmer? Will I grow out of it or am I now destined to be a 3-egger for the rest of my natural life? :hmmm:

How many eggs do you eat in a day?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:38 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

To be honest, I don't even really like eating eggs all that much. I can't even eat them in their original form (white with yolk). Ironic considering how many chooks I have!

So maybe I'd average 3 per week (all three would be scrambled into a veggie omelette covered in homemade salsa). Baking not included.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:53 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

i usually have a poached egg on toast for breakfast and thats it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:58 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I don't eat the eggs by themselves but I use them as an ingredient every day, most days I will eat 6 eggs some days I will eat a dozen or slightly more depending on the size of the eggs, as I measure by weight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:29 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I kept chooks for five years without eating any of the eggs as my daughter was allergic. She can now eat them but I'd say we probably only eat 2-3 a week. I give most of them away.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:35 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Since getting my own chooks, I have increased my consumption of eggs from an average of 1-2 per week to 1-2 a day! I could not afford to eat that many when I was buying them from the supermarket, but now they are a big part of my diet. It will be interesting to see how this affects my cholesterol levels, as I did have high cholesterol before, but I think that the extra work I am doing in keeping the chooks clean, fed and happy will counter balance the extra eggs in my diet. We'll see.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:42 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Having said that I'm just about to use my eighth egg today. After 12 years I have to relearn how to make lots of the egg based recipes. Today's lesson is quiche.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:58 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I am just hard boiling myself one for arvo tea. Chooks have just had roasted eggshells and baked pumpkin for their dinner and gone in for the night. Me time now! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:42 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

oooh you people who don't eat eggs amaze me! :shock: But don't worry, I'm eating your share! :lol:

Magz I know what you mean by eggs being expensive. I used to buy free-range organic eggs and they cost 68 cents each from my local co-op so I would think twice about eating them. Now I have my own eggs I can eat as many as I like... and at the moment they are worth $4.12 each! :rofl:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:12 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Location: Nillumbik council (semi-rural outskirts of Melbourne)
Lindeggs wrote:

Magz I know what you mean by eggs being expensive. I used to buy free-range organic eggs and they cost 68 cents each from my local co-op so I would think twice about eating them. Now I have my own eggs I can eat as many as I like... and at the moment they are worth $4.12 each! :rofl:

but they're getting cheaper every day :wink:

We eat less - but we're getting 2 per day and there are 4 of us. Come November when I hit the breeders we will have more.

I'm amazed at Mr Holland's consumption!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:57 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

That's why we got chooks in the first place! We were buying at least 2 dozen a week.. if on special, 4. (Mind you, this is between the two of us.) That's a lot of money at $5 a dozen for free-range. We get about 9 eggs a day at the moment, and eat about that. Whatever we get, we eat. They are eaten (2 each) fried, poached, 4 or so eggs-tra eggs in our bread and there's around 3 in breakfast chocolate "pudding" kinda stuff, and if we need to use some up, scrambled is the way to go at 6 eggs per person. :thumbs:
It's cheaper than shop bought and much much tastier too. :D

Darn, now I'm hungry!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:02 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Like Magz, we found our egg eating habits really changed once we had our own chooks. As well as the usual meals and a hard-boiled egg for lunch each day at work, we use them in pancakes and baking etc. In fact I find our egg eating habits tend to match our hens' egg producing habits - in the summer we average about 20 eggs per week for 2 people, with egg-rich treats like brownies and home-made icecream, and in winter we cut right back and I bake things like shortbread that don't need eggs, saving the few winter eggs for those dishes (like the daily lunch) where we would really miss them. We have a big garden too, and our meals also tend to be full of what's in season. I quite like the rhythm it gives and the anticipation of each new crop. My husband tends to have high cholesterol but it dropped when we became vegtarians in spite of the high egg consumption (and all that icecream). :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:37 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Mr. Holland wrote:
I don't eat the eggs by themselves but I use them as an ingredient every day, most days I will eat 6 eggs some days I will eat a dozen or slightly more depending on the size of the eggs, as I measure by weight.

He left out the part about the fact that he doesn't eat the yolk maybe only 1 out of 6 eggs he will eat the yolk, he was allergic to eggs when he was younger and he is slowly introducing them into his diet, yolks are usually the part that people are allergic to. He eats so many because he does bodybuilding and they a super high in protein. And even though he eats so many we still have eggs to spare!! O_O

Lockit
xo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:09 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Our egg consumption is growing each week in direct proportion to the number of eggs we are getting and the extra chickens that seem to come home in my car every week or so...

Cakes are baked rich with 4 to 6 eggs in them each week, a couple of batches of bikkies with 1-2 eggs each (that's half a day of eggs). Usually a cooked egg breakfast for the kids before school 3 days (2 kids, 2 eggs each). I have an egg every second day or so cooked in a jaffle so that I can eat it while driving to work. The fur kids (2) get and egg each beaten in a little milk for breakfast each day.....Egg dinner twice a week usually uses between 8 and 12 eggs (quiches, frittata, omelets, scrambled, fried and my favourite poached). Now starting to get back into home made mayo.... mmmmm nothing better. Rich custard, bread and butter pudding, nongies and rice (sorry, rice custard with sultanas). Boiled eggs in lunch boxes, egg sandwiches you name it we eat it and I still have to give away 2 - 3 doz eggs a week, and we sell 2 -3 doz a week to.

Before chookies coming back to our garden, 1 doz eggs could last 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:25 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Myself would be about 7 a week. Five of these are breakfast on a Saturday, scrambled eggs with worcestershire sauce.

As a family of 5 we go through about 2 dozen a week (At the moment that leaves about 5 dozen for friends and hatching.)

Ron