Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Recipes that use eggs (whole, whites, yolks)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:49 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Following on from the thread "How many eggs do you eat in a day?" (see http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8006969), how about we put up some good recipes that use eggs?

We generate about 5 eggs a day at present. There's only so much quiche and scrambled egg you can eat, so we've been trying out various recipes for using whole eggs, egg whites and egg yolks.

I'll start off in separate posts with a couple of recent biscuit recipes that my excellent husband has now got perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:53 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

This fabulous recipe comes from my all-time favourite restaurant, Ambrosini's in Adelaide. The recipe makes industrial quantities, but you can store some of the mix in the fridge to cook later (not sure if it can be frozen though).

Ambrosini's Lemon Biscuits

Zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped
250g caster sugar
250g plain flour, sifted
6 eggs

Heat the oven to 160°C/320°F

Whisk the eggs, add the sugar and zest and continue whisking until pale.

Fold in the flour until an even consistency

Pipe onto greaseproof paper in little dots about 2-3cm wide

Allow to rest before baking. Sprinkle with sugar and bake until lightly browned.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:56 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I think this came from a Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recipe online somewhere? (can no longer find the URL). We use egg whites that have been frozen, since our eggs are always so fresh that the whites just can't be whipped up until tehy have been frozen and then thawed.

Chocolate macaroons

These are rich, slightly chewy and surprisingly easy. They're better made with egg whites separated, covered and left in a cool place overnight. Makes 12.

125g icing sugar
3 tbsp cocoa
165g ground almonds
3 egg whites
55g caster sugar
¼ tsp vanilla extract

Heat the oven to 180C/360F Line two baking sheets with parchment. Dip a 4.5cm circular biscuit cutter or small glass into flour, and use it to mark out 24 circles on the parchment set about 3cm apart (this will make it easier to make even-sized macaroons).

Sieve the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl, and whisk in the almonds. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy, then gradually whisk in the sugar until the mixture is stiff and glossy.

Stir in (by hand) half the almond mixture into the egg whites, then add the rest, along with the vanilla, and fold until just combined.

Transfer the mixture to a plastic bag and cut a 1cm hole in the bottom. Pipe on to the baking sheets using the flour circles as your guide. Tap the sheets hard on a worktop to eliminate air bubbles.

Bake until the macaroons feel slightly firm, about 18 minutes. Remove, allow to cool slightly, then transfer on the parchment to a wire rack to cool completely.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:19 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I know I said in the previous post "there's only so much quiche you can eat" but we still eat it at least once a week, usually for Saturday lunch.

Here's my quiche recipe adapted by my mum and me over the years from the old 1970s Margaret Fulton cookbook.

The lard or bacon fat gives a more crisp pastry. The cream gives a softer texture to the egg mix.

Quiche

Pastry
1 ounces of butter
1 ounce of lard (or bacon fat if you have it)
4 ounces of plain plour

Filling
3 eggs (4 if small)
half a cup of cream
half a cup of milk
3 whole rashers of bacon, no rind, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
nutmeg and cayenne to taste
a handful of grated jarlsberg cheese (other cheese is ok but jarlsberg is the best)

Method
Blend (or use food processor) to mix the lard, butter and flour into a breadcrumb-like texture. Add a bit of water (not too much) and mix until the pastry becomes a single, coherent lump. Flour a surface and roll it out, fit to your quiche dish.
I usually blind-bake pastry with beans to stop it from puffing up - gives a nice crisp pastry base.
Alternatively, just get some ready-rolled pastry out of the freezer ;-)

Gently fry the onion and bacon bits together until lightly browned. Leave it to cool.

Beat the eggs, add the cream, milk and spices. Stir in the bacon and onion mix, and the grated cheese. Pour this mix into the pastry case and cook for 30-35 minutes on 180 C.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:44 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

you will find plenty of egg recipes in this thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4585 as part of the cooking index stickie!!

btw the chocolate macaroons nad quiche sound delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:54 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

hla's Quiche ~ try using sour cream and a couple more eggs instead of the milk/cream mix. I make a bacon one just like that HLA's or a tinned salmon, spring onion and caper one. You can pretty much put anything in it that is already cooked and tasty.

O and instead of lard for the crust I use a tablespoon of water and copha (is that how you spell it? same stuff you use for chocolate crackles). The trick to a really light 'short crust' is to squash the pastry into the shell straight away and blind bake it. Any amount of kneading, rolling or resting in the fridge and it will become tough.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:58 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Oooh those are all yummy recipes, hla! And I was thinking the same thing when I was reading the other thread - people kept mentioning delicvious recipes and I wished they would post them! :thumbs:

I will definitely try those lemon biscuits at the earliest opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:28 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

As we are now in glut times I have been making a thing called an impossible quiche - instead of making pastry separately you just add flour to a frittata type recipe. So easy and so yummy, I use this recipe but play around with it, usually adding broccoli or spinach. http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/14039/impossible+quiche

My daughter is the queen of macaroons and meringues (or anything loaded with sugar) but being a frugal (mean) sort of person I can't stand the waste of egg yolks so I googled egg yolk recipes and found one for a 3 yolk sponge. It is the most fantastically moist and delicious thing and tastes wonderful. So far it also seems to be idiot proof, I've never had a failure. Here's the link if anyone fancies it: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/egg ... cake--2448

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:00 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Thanks for all the delicious recipes hla and everyone.

Here's a dessert that I make often. It's super quick n' easy. Serve with stewed fruit- peaches or rhubarb.

BAKED CUSTARD
3 eggs, free range of course.
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups milk, warmed
nutmeg

Whisk eggs, sugar & vanilla lightly. Gradually add warm milk and stir to combine evenly.
Pour into shallow dish, sprinkle with nutmeg.
Stand dish in baking tin with enough water to come half way up the side of dish.
Bake 180 c. about 40 mins until just set in middle.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:58 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Here is an easy peasy yummy Lemon Delicious that all the family love:

3 eggs separated (use four if small)
2/3 cup caster or white sugar (i have to make do as too far to a shop)
1 lemon rind finely grated
2/3 cup Self raising flour
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup milk

Heat oven to 180C
Beat egg yolks, sugar and lemon rind until thick and pale (I use the food processor to make it easy)
Add flour, lemon juice and milk until combined.
Beat 3 egg whites until soft peaks form.
Fold through the lemon mixture until combined.
Put into 2L ovenproof dish
Place dish in a roasting pan and pour boiling water to come 3-4cm up the outside of the dish.
Bake for about 40mins until golden.
Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve

Enjoy! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:02 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Looking forward to trying these!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:46 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

redjohanna,
I love Lemon Delicious too. Sort of magical how it separates into two layers with fluffy sponge on top and lemon custard below. I can highly recommend this recipe- it's absolutely DELICIOUS!
Try it with fresh blueberries and cream.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:54 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm making a pavlova right now. I'll be using the leftover yolks, along with some lemons off the tree to make some lemon curd to top it, and the serve it with some strawberries, banana (only $10.99 this week, i bought 4!! Most bananas in the house for months) shredded mint and some cream. It's a hello spring celebration!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:49 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I think it is definitely impossible quiche night tonight!
Salmon and capers sound awesome. :biggrin:
Then lemon delicious for dessert...wish I had some blueberries though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:54 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

These recipes have spoiled me! Yesterday I had a visit from my dear old Auntie, and just before she left I was going to give her half a dozen fresh eggs... but I thought of these recipes... and I thought "I will have to delay making them if I give away my eggs"... :oops:

Fortunately my kind self gave my wicked self a good kicking and I gave Auntie the eggs. But it was a close thing! :|

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next