Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Recipes that use eggs (whole, whites, yolks)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:35 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:20 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Being a cake decorator (currently a hobbyist but I've almost finished by certifications to run it as a small business!) I bake a LOT... and this isn't my 'go-to" mud cake recipe but it is a beautiful cake - and most mud cakes use quite a few eggs

Chocolate Mud Cake (from Donna Hay Magazine – 50th Issue Birthday)

Serves 6 to 8

400 g (14.1 ounces/3 1/2 sticks) butter, chopped
400 g (16 ounces) dark chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup (15 g) instant coffee powder
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 (60 ml) cup water
1 1/2 cups (225 g) self-raising (self-rising) flour, sifted
1/2 cup (25 g) cocoa, sifted
6 eggs
2 cups (440 g) caster (superfine) sugar

Preheat oven to 160° C (325° F). Lightly grease a 24 cm (9 1/2-inch) round cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Set aside.

Place the butter, chocolate, coffee, vanilla extract and water in a saucepan over low heat and stir until melted. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.

Using a fine-mesh sieve, sift the flour and cocoa into a small bowl. Repeat an additional 2 times.

Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat for 6 minutes or until pale and thick. Add the chocolate mixture and beat until combined.

Using a large spatula, fold through the flour-cocoa mixture.

Pour into the lightly greased baking tin. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer (bamboo skewer is best - if it is liquid then put it back in but if it sticks and then you can roll the mix into a small ball then its good to come out)

Allow to cool in the baking tin for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

This cuts really well into layers, add some dark chocolate ganache & some sour cherry jam and its just lovely!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:48 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I've made these egg boats a few times now.

Egg Boats

You can put in anything you like, from ham and cheese (the other half likes this) to more fancy ingredients (I like mushrooms, feta and peas)

I find it is better if you use smaller rolls. We used crusty dinner rolls last time just took off the tops and scooped out some of the bread inside. You can smoosh the bread down instead and then the egg and bread joins together to make something very tasty.

Just bear in mind that if you don't have any egg leaks the egg will puff up when it cooks so if you over-fill you'll get a quite strange result. You'll feel like there isn't enough egg in there but there probably is. :)

2 x Kitties - 3 x Bantam English Game - 1 x Light Sussex - 1 x Bantam Ancona - 1 x Bantam Rosecomb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:02 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

That sounds good. Do you beat the egg or just break it in?

NellyG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:41 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

yummo!!

here is one that uses both zuchinnis and eggs.

zucchinni slices

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:53 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

NellyG wrote:
That sounds good. Do you beat the egg or just break it in?

NellyG

You could do it either way, but I throw about 8-10 in a bowl and add some milk or cream and herbs, kinda like making scrambled eggs. :)

2 x Kitties - 3 x Bantam English Game - 1 x Light Sussex - 1 x Bantam Ancona - 1 x Bantam Rosecomb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:55 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Mini Quiches
An all time favourite – these freeze really well in a zip lock bag – they are perfect for when guests drop around, kids lunches, or just a snack!
 24 slices fresh bread, crusts removed
 Butter for spreading
 4 eggs beaten
 1 cup milk
 1/2 cup cream or greek yogurt
 4 rashers of bacon, rind removed
 1 brown onion finely chopped
 1 cup grated cheese
Butter the slices of bread and press them firmly down (butter side down) into muffin cases. Bake for 10 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degrees – leave in pans. In a jug combine the eggs, milk, cream or yogurt and whisk to combine. Fry the bacon and onion until starting to brown – divide the mix evenly into the muffin cases. Pour the egg mixture over the top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and puffed.
http://www.stayathomemum.com.au/recipes ... i-quiches/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Great recipes, thank you.
Used up some duck eggs last night and made 2 lasagnes, a vego and a meat one. Fresh pasta makes a yummy lasagne! (The recipe for pasta was mentioned earlier.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:00 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Just out of curiosity, when you make fresh lasagna sheets, do you need to boil or cook them in any way other than in the oven once it has all been assembled? Or can you just let it dry out a bit then chuck it in? :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:18 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

When i make mine I pre cook them in boiling water. I don't think there would be enough moisture in the lasagne sauce for the pasta to expand and cook preperly.

NellyG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:41 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

shell20_7 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, when you make fresh lasagna sheets, do you need to boil or cook them in any way other than in the oven once it has all been assembled? Or can you just let it dry out a bit then chuck it in? :D

I just pop it in the tray straight from the pasta machine. I have the meat and cheese sauces ready and assemble it as I make the pasta. I do put some tin tomatoes under the first sheet so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. I also finish with a layer of lasagne, followed by cheese sauce, and a sprinkling of parmesan. I cover the pan tightly with foil, and only remove this in the last 15 mins to brown. My meat sauce is fairly moist though.
Sandra
Edit - Also I roll the pasta to the 2nd thinnest setting, mine would probably be too thin to precook.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:51 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I roll mine to the thinnest setting and still cook it OK. But if it works uncooked so much the better!

NellyG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:31 am 
Wise One
Wise One

I made caladenia's zucchini slice a few days ago. It was absolutely delicious.

I added two teaspoons of Massel vege stock powder, quarter cup extra flour, grated jap pumpkin, two extra eggs plus sliced mushrooms.

Oh and I didn't add the oil. I forgot it, but the dish turned out delicious anyway.

It was so good that I'm making it again tomorrow!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

To use up egg yolks after making pavlova: :claps:

Boston cream pie

Use any good sponge cake recipe and cook it in two halves. Once it is cool, make the following filling

60 g castor sugar
2 t custard powder (heaped)
3 egg yolks
320 ml milk

Mix the sugar, yolks and powder with a little of the milk, then heat the rest of the milk. Add the almost boiling milk to the mixture, then return to the pot and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.

When cold, sandwich the filling between the two cakes. Sprinkle lightly with icing sugar to decorate, or use a thin layer of chocolate icing.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:23 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

When we have extra eggs, I make "spanish omelette" - very very easy

Get together anything that tastes good fried - bacon, leftover chicken, leftover roast, mushrooms, greens cut small, green onions, leftover spud, pumpkin (really good with bacon)

You will need about one handfull per person once fried - this makes the filling.

Beat together 2 eggs + 1 tablespoon of milk per person.

Fry the filling ingredients until they are cooked to your liking. Using an eggflip, divide the filling into the required number of portions in the frypan.

Gently pour the egg mixture into the frypan & cook covered until egg is firm.

Grate some cheese or parmesan over the top & either put it under the grill for a few minutes until golden, or cover and cook until cheese is melted and egg cooked well.

Cut into portions and serve.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:23 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I made this whole orange and almond cake and it is rich and moist and scrumptious - just like a cafe style cake.
It uses 6 eggs and is really easy to make.

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/677/O ... earch/true

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next