Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Recipes that use eggs (whole, whites, yolks)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:46 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hey guys 'n' Girls what about the good old bread and butter pudding. Uses most of my spare eggs....can be made with all sorts of mixed fruit, currents are the best although saltanas are OK. Will have to find my recipe and post at later date.

Last edited by Ashy on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:58 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Do that please Ashy. A good B&b pudding is a thing of beauty.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:37 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Forgotten Cookies (from a book called 'Georgia Entertains' - Southern American Recipes)

'These easy meringues bake while you sleep!' - Makes approx 30

3 Egg Whites
3/4 cup Sugar
250g choc chips (or chips and pecans)

Preheat oven 175C (160C fan forced) tip : preheat oven with pizza stone in it to retain heat. Line trays with baking paper.
Beat egg whites till stiff, gradually add sugar and beat till very stiff. Fold in chips.
Drop large teaspoonfulls onto trays.
Place in oven and immediately turn off heat. Leave overnight without opening door.

note: this works best in a non fan forced oven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:51 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Wow - I'm glad I found this thread today. It's "that time of year" again - eggs everywhere! Glad to see I'm not alone with this "problem".

Today, I had two boiled eggs for lunch. Then tonight, I made a fried rice for dinner - I ended up putting 10 eggs in it to try to use some up! (6 were banty eggs, though).

Easy recipe - you just use whatever meat and vegies you want/have on hand. Boil your rice first, then drain, rinse, and set aside. Lightly whisk the eggs, and fry as an omelette; then remove from pan and chop up into bite-sized pieces. Then you just sautee some chopped bacon or ham, and some chopped onions (I used two); then add the rice and eggs back into the pan, and add any other vegies you want. I used celery, capsicum, carrot (I lightly boiled the carrot first, so it would cook quicker), snow peas, and a few whole baby peas from the garden. I also chucked in 2 teaspoons of ginger, 1 teaspoon garlic, and a teaspoon of salt. You could also add other meat such as cooked chicken and/or prawns; or add some soy sauce if you wanted. Easy and tasty dinner - and uses up some of those endless eggs!

And when I really can't use all the eggs up, I'll just boil up the excess in a big pot, mash them with the potato masher, and toss them to the girls for an "egg frenzy" - they love them, shells and all!

I'll definitely be trying some of the recipes on this thread, too - they sound delicious!

Cheers, Onyx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:42 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

redjohanna,
Will get it up for you asap. Only have a small problem at the moment....Fires every where and I am still blurry eyed as I have been out most of the night...the bloke upstairs must have thought we in the CFS in South Aussie did not have enough to do....pretty display of lightning but boy did it make us busy......am going to the shed in a minute to see what the situation is...about 8 fires still going in the district.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:03 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

We got a heap of lightning all night too Ashy, all to the north of us where the grasslands have dried off and cured. I 'slept' with the pager and phone next to the bed.

Best of luck with the fires and B&B pudding can wait until you are done.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:33 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

redjohanna
Yeah well I had just got ready for work (Arvo shift) guess what.....bloody pager went berserk......just what I needed....2 O'clock until 8 O'clock back in the hills driving Quorn 34P :doh
boy am I buggered. Not doing much for my hatching.....Incubator humidity went down to 46% should be about 70%, still one chicken out and one chipped, hope the others survive,,,, I have enough trouble at hatch time for some reason when I am home keeping an eye on it. Stuffed if I know what I am doing wrong....fertility is at about 96% but my hatch rate is only at about 25% at best???????? :hmmm: :dontknow

Just a Question, where are you situated, in SA???

Last edited by Ashy on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:38 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Onyx wrote:
Wow - I'm glad I found this thread today. It's "that time of year" again - eggs everywhere! Glad to see I'm not alone with this "problem".

Today, I had two boiled eggs for lunch. Then tonight, I made a fried rice for dinner - I ended up putting 10 eggs in it to try to use some up! (6 were banty eggs, though).

Easy recipe - you just use whatever meat and vegies you want/have on hand. Boil your rice first, then drain, rinse, and set aside. Lightly whisk the eggs, and fry as an omelette; then remove from pan and chop up into bite-sized pieces. Then you just sautee some chopped bacon or ham, and some chopped onions (I used two); then add the rice and eggs back into the pan, and add any other vegies you want. I used celery, capsicum, carrot (I lightly boiled the carrot first, so it would cook quicker), snow peas, and a few whole baby peas from the garden. I also chucked in 2 teaspoons of ginger, 1 teaspoon garlic, and a teaspoon of salt. You could also add other meat such as cooked chicken and/or prawns; or add some soy sauce if you wanted. Easy and tasty dinner - and uses up some of those endless eggs!

And when I really can't use all the eggs up, I'll just boil up the excess in a big pot, mash them with the potato masher, and toss them to the girls for an "egg frenzy" - they love them, shells and all!

I'll definitely be trying some of the recipes on this thread, too - they sound delicious!

Cheers, Onyx

Yeah Know how you feel, get sick of eggs, eggs, eggs, eggs and guess what they feed you when you are on a fire ground,,,,,,you guessed it boiled egg sandwiches. I'll have to try your little recipe. Could make a good change.....have about 7 doz in the fridge.

:clnava

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:40 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I actually have my first 'Glut of Asparagus' -white asparagus and purple asparagus! By 'Glut' I actually really mean more than just I can eat, Mr Sue55 isn't all that impressed. He does however quite like this.

Egg and Asparagus au Gratin. -Quantities of ingredients are flexible
Steam Asparagus (microwave)
Drain, and retain water
Hard boil or poach some eggs
Make a basic white sauce using the Asparagus water and extra milk
Cut Asparagus into large 'bites
Cut boiled eggs in half
Gently mix everything together (or just layer them)
Top with grated cheese and bake till the cheese starts to colour
Serve with some good, crusty bread or damper

this was one of my favourite picnic foods as a kid - but made with tinned asparagus (a luxury) and served from a food flask on cold Spring days at the beach.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:00 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Quote:
Just a Question, where are you situated, in SA??

We are in SW Vic Ashy. We get your weather coming through.

A glut of asparagus Sue! Yummmo. Lucky you. Can you blanch and freeze it as well? Never tried to do that myself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:47 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

redjohanna,
Here you go for the Bread and Butter Pudding :nuts

BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING

This is all from the old memory box (yep it’s got plenty of holes). It is as my grandmother gave me when she showed me how to make it in a wood fired oven.

Bread, slightly stale is ok, but no mould please.
Cut off the crust if you like or leave it on, personal preference.
Butter the slices as thick or thinly as you prefer. (Margarine is OK as well).
Now spread, again as thick or thinly as you prefer, the slices with any left over jams.
On the bottom of your baking dish sprinkle some fruit. Mixed fruit, Sultanas, Currants etc. (My preference is Currants).
Now layer the bread slices onto the fruit, continue with this layering, with a slight sprinkle of the fruit, until you get level with the lip of your oven dish. The last layer, only butter the bread, don’t jam. Between each layer sprinkle lightly some nutmeg and or cinnamon or both.
Some glazed cherries sprinkled through also adds flavour and colour.

Now for the custard mix, all I do is mix my eggs and milk and whisk. While I am whisking I add some vanilla extract and add some powdered custard mix for thickening. I just judge by eye how many eggs and how much milk for the dish and if I run short I just mix more. Pour this slowly over the bread layers in the dish until approximately ½” (10mm) under the rim of the dish. One point I forgot is do not put fruit on the top as it tends to burn to a crisp and tastes yuk.

Let the dish sit for approximately 10 minutes while the oven is preheating to about 200oC. (fan forced I gather would be lower) Trial and error with your oven will tell you the correct temperature. While this is happening if you like you can egg wash the top layer. You could also use some defecated coconut on the top and or through the layers.

The pudding is ready when golden brown or dark brown on the top, depending on your preference and/or the custard mix is not still watery. This takes about 20 – 30 minutes depending on your oven.

Enjoy.
PS…..my next trick with this is to spread some pineapple pieces on the bottom and throughout the layers….as stated experiment with this and see what happens, I do, some succeed some don't all good fun but not always tasty
:wee :woot: :wee

Last edited by Ashy on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:03 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I will give that a try Ashy, sounds great!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:39 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

redjohanna wrote:
I will give that a try Ashy, sounds great!

Most experiments with this also are great....not all though have had some YUK although not many. The bread and butter pudding goes great with Golden North Ice Cream.
Please enjoy and your are most welcome.

:^ :stretcher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:12 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

OK, so what is Golden north Icecream?? (sounds good!)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:24 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

NellyG wrote:
OK, so what is Golden north Icecream?? (sounds good!)

Golden North is a brand name for the only Ice Cream (left in South Aussie) that is still made with Milk and Cream......the rest should only be called Ice Confection as they only use extracts and enhancers for their product.
This local product is also based in the mid north of the state (Laura) about 100k's south of my location in the Flinders Ranges (approx 380k's north of Adelaide). Sorry to all the interstaters, I should have made a note of that. Oh and by the way it tastes like h h h h hhhhhhhhheavvvvvvvennnnn.

:cclapp :thumms :cclapp

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next