Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Wow, harder than I thought.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:12 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I have 2 girls that are way past laying. (About 6yo) small space, to many chooks etc
Been debating on whether to get rid of them. Finally get the guts to do it (Hubby to do it!)
Get one off the perch, and then can't do it !!! :shock:
Didn't think it would be that hard :aaah!
Hubby might have to do it when I'm not here.
Does anyone else get rid of their old girls or do they live out their retirement..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:19 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I just end up holding them whilst sobbing my eyes out. The next day I go find a neighbor to do the deed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:20 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I'm so glad I'm not the only one Smallflock!
I think it's the whole 'they aren't sick' thing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:35 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I just let old girls retire. I simply couldn't 'put them down' just due to age. IF they are unwell i will do it, and I do roosters out of necessity, but i think old girls deserve a happy retirement.

But I know it is not always practical.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:14 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I let them retire gracefully. I have several ladies (of the webbed feet variety and the chook variety) that no longer lay. The chooks can still dig and create garden compost and that's a valuable contribution. My oldest chook is 8 and oldest duck about 8 or 9.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:21 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I think I will have to build them a retirement wing.
I was trying to be practical regarding space and feed usage. But it is just to hard! Better hide the axe!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:57 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I wouldn't dream of getting rid of any old girls. I pray they live forever regardless of whether I get any eggs or not. Theyre a part of my family, eggs are just a bonus. If I run out of room I just get another coop :-D
In fact I'm considering getting hormone implants for 2 of my Isa Browns so they can STOP laying. They are really special I want to give them a chance to reach retirement.
I have over 50 chickens now. I love my girls. Getting rid of them is unthinkable. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:57 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I might add that I wouldn't dispose of a chook if the only issue is old age. The ones that I've had to deal with have been ill and not responded to treatment. However, I am in an area that allows for a generous number of chooks (especially if you are not all that accurate in your counting skills), but I would understand needing to do this in areas where you are only allowed say 4-5 chooks. If you started off with 4 Isa Browns and 3 years up the track your egg production ceases plus you are looking at possibly 4-5 more years of eggless chooks - I think you get the idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:00 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I am a heartless swine.

I will remove an older unproductive hen, and have done it for friends (As recently as Sunday night just passed.), that can't do it as well.

I don't view the chooks/rabbits as "family or pets", they are a means of producing food for my family, whether that be as eggs, soup, curry or a roast.

Ron

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:44 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Ron, you are not heartless!

I find chook owners generally fall into one of two camps - those who see their chooks more as pets, and those who see chooks as produce (and show birds can fall into this category ie culling for exhibition standards). There are a few of us who can put a foot in both camps - Shairlyn seems to be able to do this. I don't argue with killing or culling, I just haven't got what it takes to do it myself. My argument is that while the birds are alive and in your care that you treat them humanely and keep them in clean, appropriate accommodation, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:39 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

It is not heartless. They still had a good life that beats the pants off any chook in any commercial operation, no matter how 'free range', 'organic' or 'green'.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:55 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I agree. Personally, I would rather go while the going is good than be kept alive for someone elses emotional needs. Having said that I now have to admit that I'm not very proactive about culling as I worry that I won't do it efficiently enough (I'm afraid of hurting them - need to get a better 'tool') My way out is to sell off the rejects as young as possible and not to keep the better birds for more than 2 seasons. That way the next owner will still get the opportunity to breed and few years of lay. The rest is theirs to deal with. I won't sell on any problem birds however (trying to rehabilitate a couple of egg eaters, which have a last chance before the axe! and a couple with poor vision who would have trouble adjusting to a new home - they will live out their good days here as space is not an issue)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:45 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I'm glad you do it Ron.
Considering we are only allowed 5, and we are up to 10 with an illegal rooster (that we do need to get rid of, as he is here temporarily, found in the park, just in case someone claims him!)
We want to get some day olds in July as the hubby wants Wyandottes and can only get them as day olds.
Just thinking of space.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:07 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I think of my girls as my garden helpers. They help me make compost and eat my weeds! So they'll stick around even when they stop laying (they actually haven't even started laying yet, but they're so darn helpful in the garden that I don't really care).

I'm lucky enough not to have any council restriction on numbers though.

There might be some people around like me, who want garden helpers rather than egg machines. If you don't have space to keep them, and can't bear to process them, perhaps you could sell them/give them to someone who doesn't mind that they're not laying anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:20 pm 
Ol' Bustard
Ol' Bustard

I'll remove any that are not earning their keep although a few old girls have gotten under my skin and have been kept for gardening chores. They feed themselves mostly at least 9 months of the year.

The hardest is culling last year's breeding stock. I'll keep some special birds but most go to backyard layerdom somewhere and the Cocks are eaten by the farm dawg.

Linz :)

[i]A lot of Andalusians. Anconas in Standard and Bantam PB Black Leghorns in Standard
and Bantam, Derbyshire Redcaps, Light Sussex Bantams.
[/i]
____ __ _______ _ _ _ ______ _ ________ _ _ _ _____