Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What are you planting this winter?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:09 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Garlic is about 3-6 cm high.
All manner of choys and boks that you can think of.
Cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli. (Bigger seedlings are in and more seeds in trays about 2cm high.)
Broad beans will go in maybe this w/end (YUK Horrible things but the missus loves them.) as it is very wet at the moment and the seeds will rot if too damp.
Peas.
Onions are shooting in the little greenhouse thing we have.
Kohl Rabi, silver beet, and radish seeds are still to poke their little heads up.

Ron

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:34 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

We just chuck all our scraps and seeds into dedicated areas and whatever wants to grow, grows. We even have Avocado trees XD!! Our garden beds look a bit like a vege forest with everything co-existing....no neat rows (though I did try mind you). We have; Rhubarb, Spring Onions, Onions, Tomatoes, Bok Choi, Lettuce, Mint, Lemon Grass, Nasturtium, Native Lychee, Capsicum ......well pretty much any food you can buy to eat at a shop...we have it growing somewhere XD :rofl: :rofl: !! We tried carrots too but they never took....the seedlings would shoot but then it'd just die :?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:52 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

mum's menagerie wrote:
they are racehorses, combination of long term residents plus day visitors for racing. i can try and find out what they are fed. I was thinking it might have seeds in, so thought i might spread it out on a spare patch i have and set the chookies to work, or am i being a bit too simplistic?

so what did you buy today?

i have used race horse poop and their feed does bring up seeds that grow

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:41 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi Mum's Menagerie, if you are putting the raised beds onto a concrete base and concerned about drainage, try putting a layer of gravel (about 4-5cm) in the bottom of the bed. That might help.
I have to do that with things in big pots all the time.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:01 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Beetroot! I forgot about that! I need to put in LOTS more beetroot. I love the stuff :)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:10 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Not much this winter. I've been busy from late summer to now completely gutting and re-doing the front garden from scratch, so I'm going to take a bit of time off from the winter veg this year.

Having said that, I do have some mini-caulis in, the autum beans are still going reasonably well, the strawbs too, plus a bit of spinach. I'm going to do potatoes in June, and maybe some salad greens in the meantime, but that's about it, will just add some goodies to the beds, mulch then leave them until Spring plantings start.

:)

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:15 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I do wanna grow broccoli but last time I tried Brassicas the white cabbage moth appeared and made swiss cheese of the leaves and then they died :(

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:04 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I have a similar problem with broccoli - except it's my 3y.o. - he eats the heads as soon as they appear and also the young/small leaves! Loves his vege! :rofl:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:12 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

If you can mask the cabbage-family scent you can keep the moths off. I routinely sprinkle flowers and foliage of my aromatic plants, particularly basil which needs constant dead-heading/tip pruning anyway, lemon-scented tea-tea, lemon myrte, aniseed myrtle, oregano, mint, mintbush, lemongrass on & around the seedlings which seems to work. :) The lemony ones also help keep the cat off the freshly planted gardens.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:15 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

snow peas broccolli and cauliflower in and growing for the next lot ( once my tomatoes finally finish) will be peas and silverbeat and maybe some onions....I gave up on the carrots info, never turn out good and they are reasonable enough to buy....cheers pam

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:26 pm 
deleted

Last edited by Gippswest on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:49 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

For the cabbage moths, my grandma used to put stakes in the ground and then sit half egg shells on them (The half left after scooping out a soft boiled egg.). Supposedly the moths won't lay in an area where other moths are already, and the eggshells resemble other moths,

Ron

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:15 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I am going to try white moth replicas this year too.

The frosts we've just had did for my basil, zucchini and tomatoes so they all came out on the weekend and in went spring onions, leeks, kale, beetroot, garlic, lettuce (might need to protect that a bit) and some flowers for bee attracting and colour.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:44 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

rotten_66 wrote:
For the cabbage moths, my grandma used to put stakes in the ground and then sit half egg shells on them (The half left after scooping out a soft boiled egg.). Supposedly the moths won't lay in an area where other moths are already, and the eggshells resemble other moths,

People also use those white flat plastic clips you get on loaves of bread for the same thing.......I knew there would be a use for them one day!

J

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:23 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have read about that method for preventing the cabbage moths before but haven't tried it, It also said about painting a few rocks red and putting them around your strawberry plants before they get strawberries on them to stop birds eating them as they try for the rocks and learn that they are just fake so don't try again when the real ones are there.