Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - nectarine tree - leaf curl

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:47 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Argh. The joys of curly leaf!
I have a number of nectarine and peach trees, and they all get curly leaf to a degree. Two trees get it very bad in particular and these varieties must be quite susceptible. I used to spray with copper at the recommended times (prior to bud swell etc) and after rain events with warm temps when fungal spores can spread. It never worked. Last year I removed all the infected leaves as they appeared - sometimes the poor trees looked bare, but it eventually dissapeared. I got fruit too. The trees looked lovely and healthy by the end of summer and grew quite a bit.
Lets see what this season brings .......

http://faverolles-australia-inc.webnode.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:22 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

The last two years both my nectarine and peach had curly leaf. I tried several 'natural' sprays, the main ingredient being Milk, which had been promoted on gardening Australia from time to time but this did not work.

This year I have followed the advice from the book "Growing Fruit in Australia" by Paul Baxter & Glenn Tankard. First ed of the book written while the senior author was employed by the Department of Agriculture Victoria, so I have taken their advice as gospel re:curly leaf Peach Leaf Curl, a common disease of peaches in cool, wet spring climates can only be prevented by thorough spraying with copper containing sprays (preferably Bordeaux mixture) before buds open... Spray at leaf fall and again at budburst with copper containing sprays

I didn't have any lime handy so instead of making up Bordeaux mixture I used Burgundy mixture which is copper and washing soda and sprayed twice in winter, the second time because it rained the day after I first sprayed them, and again just as the buds were beginning to swell.

I also spray to control aphids 'cos I believe the ants that are attracted to the aphids spread the fungal spores, also get a bottle of metho and make sure you clean any secateurs before using them on a different tree to stop the spread of the spores and pick up any fallen fruit and leaves and burn them or put them in the bin, don't compost them.

so far no sign of curly leaf this year

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:31 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I just picked all the very bad leaves off the tree, ive got a good crop of nectarines growing on mine at the moment but it has been attacked by leaf curl for the last couple of years and i have had very poor harvests from it. This is its last chance - if i dont manage to keep the good crop (ive even got it covered to keep the birds off it) its getting yanked :bg

the other thing i read about leaf curl is that it gets spread a lot of the time with rain / watering, when the damp earth at the base of the tree can splash back up onto the leaves. I always wondered how that could happen when watering a tree (can understand with really heavy rain) until i let me two year old water it :laughing