Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What's flowering in the garden....Photos....Add yours

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:54 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Some Orchids are in flower.

Juergen

Attachments:
P1030947.JPG
P1030947.JPG [ 240.75 KiB | Viewed 3079 times ]
Aranda Chao Praya Dot Com 800.jpg
Aranda Chao Praya Dot Com 800.jpg [ 184.2 KiB | Viewed 3079 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:18 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Just gorgeous Juergen.

going through the process of getting organic certification for my property but horse & chook worming throwing a big spanner in the works

Favourite saying: Madness is doing the same thing over & over, but expecting a different result! -Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:32 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Beautiful flowers Juergen and Andrewschooks :-D

Here is a first time flowering daylily i bred a couple of years back, nicknamed it Debs Eggs Benny

Attachments:
Daylily Eggs Benny.jpg
Daylily Eggs Benny.jpg [ 88.76 KiB | Viewed 3033 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:38 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Excellent. Gotta love the solid coloured daylillies!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:03 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I have a lot of orange double frilly day lillies coming out this year.
I never thought to take a photo of them.
I'll see what the storm left behind in the morning.

going through the process of getting organic certification for my property but horse & chook worming throwing a big spanner in the works

Favourite saying: Madness is doing the same thing over & over, but expecting a different result! -Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:45 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

During a lull in the light rain I took a few photos.

Attachment:
flowering collage Federal Garden  12Dec2015.jpg
flowering collage Federal Garden 12Dec2015.jpg [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 2988 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:19 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

That's a lovely day Lilly. I think it's quite an old variety because I remember seeing them in some old people's house as a child.

I think the pink flowered tree is a pink cassia. I can't remember the species. Does it produce long round seed pods? Tipuana sp on the other hand have single winged seeds.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:26 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

andrewschooks wrote:
That's a lovely day Lilly. I think it's quite an old variety because I remember seeing them in some old people's house as a child.

Yes Andrew I have had this daylily for many years & have given many large clumps to lots of people because it is so sunny, vibrant & cheerful in a large clump. Interestingly there doesn't seem to be so many frills on the petals today, which I guess must have something to do with the moist weather. I also have a single identically coloured daylily that I think was one of it's parents. I used to help in the acreage garden of a bloke who bred multitudes of them.

I also have a very large single almost iridescent bright yellow daylily also bred way back when but it has finished flowering this year. I keep them because they are so healthy & strong without disease.

andrewschooks wrote:
I think the pink flowered tree is a pink cassia. I can't remember the species. Does it produce long round seed pods? Tipuana sp on the other hand have single winged seeds.

You know Andrew, the revelation struck me like a bolt as I read your words :ooops :doh
I've been calling it a tipuana because of it's tall spreading habit like a wide mouthed vase.
But indeed you are right :^ It is a Cassia. It does produce those long black cassia pods.
Funny how none of them have ever struck when I remember cassias as being a pesty weed.
Many years ago my Mother planted lots of Lilac cassias all around their 'new' house & seedlings used to come up under the trees like a carpet. My Father used to mutter words as he mowed the carpet down every year.
This tree looks or is shaped nothing like the ones around my parents house. mmmm very interesting :shrgg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:58 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

andrewschooks wrote:

Andrew it is Cassia Javanica apparently!

Attachments:
Cassia on roundabout 2.jpg
Cassia on roundabout 2.jpg [ 871.98 KiB | Viewed 2933 times ]
Cassia on roundabout 1.jpg
Cassia on roundabout 1.jpg [ 842.31 KiB | Viewed 2933 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:14 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I meant to put these photos up before Christmas, but better late than never. Here are two of my very special plants that have finally flowered for me this season.

First up is the neomarica caerulea, which you don't see real often. I had them under a tree for years where they weren't happy. I shifted them last summer into dappled sun and set up a watering system and have had heaps of these beautiful flowers. They are different from the neomarica gracilis ("walking iris") in that they have three or four flower heads on a spike, and each flower head is a repeat flowerer, easily 10-20 flowers before exhausting itself. They are forming seed pods now. I might try dividing one of the clumps as well, since it is an iridaceous.

Attachment:
100_1195.jpeg
100_1195.jpeg [ 87.11 KiB | Viewed 2854 times ]

The next is a blue puya, a kind of bromeliad which I think is from Chile. The plant is about ten years old now, and this year it grew its first flower spike, about a metre tall. I believe the flower spikes get taller as the plant matures. The individual flowers on the spike are just the most outstanding colour, and here is the very first to open:

Attachment:
100_1199.JPG
100_1199.JPG [ 2.73 MiB | Viewed 2854 times ]

I think it is possible to grow the puyas from seed, though I have not tried yet (have to see if any seeds have set). However the plant is a typical bromeliad and has a couple of offsets. If I get some elbow-length gloves, I might try separating them off (it is really prickly!).

hla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:17 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

hla that iris looks lovely. I have the walking irises all over my garden.
I must check because after ready your description of the variation I think I might have both types.
The puya colour is most unusual. I wonder what colour Don Burke would call that!?
I always remember my Mother hissing at the TV everytime he called a lilac or purple flower, blue! :D
But that one is more green.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:52 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yes the description 'blue' is mostly pretty misleading. I've noticed that when you look at ebay to buy plants, and 'blue' usually means purple, while 'black' usually means dark brown or purple.

Then again, a 'silver' campine or hamburgh is not actually very silver ;-)

I'd call the puya flower turquoise. It really is the most remarkable glossy turquoise. The only other flower I've ever seen with a similar gloss is the British buttercup.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:28 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Oh I like that blue puya!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:51 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Grafted gum. The native birds and insects are really loving it!
(In the first photo there is a well camoflaged, tiny grub I accidently disturbed which was a similar pretty pink-quite cute)

Attachments:
uploadfromtaptalk1454298571795.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1454298571795.jpg [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 2817 times ]
uploadfromtaptalk1454298553799.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1454298553799.jpg [ 107.93 KiB | Viewed 2817 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:57 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Juergen wrote:
Some Orchids are in flower.

Juergen

Very beautiful! Orchids are fantastic flowers, so graceful.
angelcake wrote:
Beautiful flowers Juergen and Andrewschooks :-D

Here is a first time flowering daylily i bred a couple of years back, nicknamed it Debs Eggs Benny

Wow! It is a really pretty colour. Daylilies look great in a garden to brighten it up and they are very elegant.
ClissaTSoyFreeChooks wrote:
During a lull in the light rain I took a few photos.

Attachment:
flowering collage Federal Garden 12Dec2015.jpg

You have a wonderful and beautiful mix of colourful flowering plants! I bet your garden smells lovely, especially with the frangipani flowers.
ClissaTSoyFreeChooks wrote:
andrewschooks wrote:

Andrew it is Cassia Javanica apparently!

I love flowering trees, this one is really pretty anf a great, brighr colour.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next