Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - family and friends wont eat our chickens

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:27 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi guys
We keep show poultry but have a nice meat bird cross we do with the large Indians over our sussex. We eat from these guys about twice a week and keep hatching them to turn over to kill and eat.
It seems I cannot serve ANYTHING containing chicken to anyone that knows we do this.

Hubby spent his youth working at the meat works, I am a nurse, between us we have a pretty good idea about getting a bird to the table without poisoning our unwitting "victims" (aka friends and family).

I have shown them footage of the nasty conditions that their preferred supermarket birds are kept under and explained that the bird they will be eating only had one bad day (got to admit, getting your head cut off cannot equate to a "good day"). It is to no avail.

I think I will keep our tasty breeding efforts to ourself from now on, no need to cast pearl before swine.
I consider my family and friends to be intelligent people, I don't understand why they cannot enjoy a meal with us? Anyone else had this sort of problem? . Perhaps the bright fluoro lighting of the supermarket gives a sense of security (totally unwarranted) that I cannot provide with blood splattered clothing they are greeted at the door with should they arrive to early (just joking)

Any thoughts? I feel hurt they will not eat our meat
cheers essie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:34 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Hi Essie
I have the same experience here.
People have said to me 'what do they taste like'

der...chicken... :rofl:

Some folk are so removed from their food they have no idea where it actually comes from and how much effort it takes to produce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:11 am 
I am very lucky. I grew up in a village in Malaysia and leanrt to dress hciken as a teenager. My husband was from sheep farming background in western NSW. hence, he have no problem dressing chicken.

We raised three commercial meat chicks to maturity and these chickens were shared with my adult children who can't wait till the next cockerals(Australorp and Wellsummer) are ready.

My children travelled to KL when they were 11 abd 14 when they were exposed to buying live chicken from the market, dressed by the vendor, cooked by my cousin. They loved the delicious curry.

I am not sure if their early experience in KL helped.

Kiew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:13 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I would stop talking about where it comes from until they forget about it and just serve it in ways that's it's not obvious. After they've eaten it a few times without knowing, it won't seem so bad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:25 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Yes, I agree, you don't need to make it an issue about it until they are used to the taste make it as normal as possible and they realise things aren't so different.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:40 am 
Wise One
Wise One

I wouldn't mind coming to your place for dinner! Bottom line for me is that the chicken is treated well throughout it's short life and that it is killed humanely. I don't process my own birds, they are for the eggs and the enjoyment l get out of them, l don't have the guts to kill them. (l'm nurse so it's not the blood thing, it's more an emotional attachment thing.) At least you know where your food is coming from and you should be admired for that. Don't worry about your family and friends!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:09 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

some people just can't cope with the idea of killing something to eat that you've raised yourself. It's their problem, not yours.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Yes just don't tell them you've cleaned it yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:12 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Location: drought or flooding rain with the random bushfire storm = yep thats about it for here
Essie your family and friends would totally freak if they came to dinner at my place = we all discuss which one we are eating and the life they had – almost a tribute to them while we enjoy them - most dont have the same sentiment tho

Also we process our own beef, mutton and venison

I agree = just don’t mention it and make meals that are creative and not as obviously ‘chook’

Sooner or later your family and friends will settle down

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:31 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hey Essie

Thanks to all the tips from all the BYP people we ate our first home grown chicken last week. And yes we've had the same problem when family and friends hear what we are now doing. I think it's very sad how far removed we've become from the food source. And it's not just meat, I have a vege garden and when I've given some produce to family I see it rotting in their fridge weeks later!! :aaah! I might not have looked exactly like what comes from woolworths but it tastes a darn site better and without all the chemicals!!! I only give the surplus to people who I know are going to eat it now. Hope your family and friends will forget where your chicken comes from soon.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:20 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I agree, the main problem for most 'unaware' people is that the food is not always looking the same, a bump here and smaller one there, too way out for them :hmmm:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:50 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Essie, i wouldnt eat your chicken either..... not because of where its come from or who dressed it, only because since i started keeping chickens i cant stand the thought of eating them.
Some people dont invite us over anymore cause of our strong stance on it and i dont care.
If we go out with friends they all respect (after a bit of banter) that we dont eat it and dont order it on shared items.
we dont even cook with chicken stock.
As for sharing things from the garden... id much rather see them go into the compost or feed them to the girls (chickens) than pass it on to people who dont appreciate or waste the product.

BUT if i did eat chicken then id come over :bg

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:37 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

We only have 4 girls so we don't cull any however my Mother in Law even refuses to eat their eggs because she knows where they come from and feels uncomfortable eating them... she'd rather buy ones from Coles instead :dontknow :doh :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:33 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

1st time chookowner wrote:
We only have 4 girls so we don't cull any however my Mother in Law even refuses to eat their eggs because she knows where they come from and feels uncomfortable eating them... she'd rather buy ones from Coles instead :dontknow :doh :roll:

I have friends who are like that. So I give excess eggs to my neighbour who gives me mangoes in return. I think I win big time. :bg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:46 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

My son saw me proccesing roosters now he won't eat any chicken we have to call it something else.
and its been nearly 2 years