Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Pekins as an eating bird

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pekins as an eating bird
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:02 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

One word.

YUM.

Thanks to a rather amusing process-and-exchange some months back (one Pekin for one Leghorn, I think it was :) ), I had a Pekin cockerel, still young, in the freezer. I dug him out earlier this week to defrost and just roasted it in a hot oven with oil and salt for 20mins.

OMG.

One-person size, small and crunchy and salty and juicy and tender but with that home-grown, free-range chicken flavour. Home-pulled lettuce and tomatoes to go with it. I would have taken a photo but I was HUNGRY and it sort of got inhaled before I thought about it.

Now I really AM considering bantam Indian Games because while Pekin was delicious, imagine what an actual meaty bird would be like ... full-grown and flavoured but spatchcock size.

I really must process my cockerels younger. I do really, really love roast chook ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:36 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

they ARE most delicious aren't they, despite their small size, they are a heavy breed bantam, and so are nice and meaty.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:53 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

It's a bit of a shock to see the real size of the bird under all the feathers but once you get past that, the bird itself is a solid little meal for one. In fact, I would easily serve one between two, with lots of additional veggies ... sweetcorn fritters and a huge green salad, for eg.

What I really couldn't get over was the intense flavour. I could smell it 10mins in and by 15mins, I was actually drooling. (Ew but indicative). I'm used to the flavour of real chook by now but it still surprised me with just HOW good it was.

It is, of course, mostly a testament to the person who raised the bird (she knows who she is) and its excellent care before processing. But I do think the very, very plain cooking method didn't harm - 220C fan-forced oven in a small tray, oil and salt, nothing else, about 15mins actual cooking and then about 5mins with the door open "resting". (Really, waiting till it was cool enough to eat).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:20 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

i gave away a whole heap of my silkie and pekin cockerels to a family of ten, t hey returned me a homemade casserole of apircot chicken with a mixture of the birds in the meat, it was unbelievably delicious despite the strangeness of hte black chicken lol

i am REALLY glad you enjoyed the taste and smell of your meal :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:16 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Location: drought or flooding rain with the random bushfire storm = yep thats about it for here
Pekin, in fact most bantams are good spatch cocked =
Plucked and gutted then cut down the back bone and pressed out flat so the breast is in the centre with the legs on the outside = can then be cooked any way you can think of
We eat almost all our excess birds no matter the size = home grown chook = YUMMO!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:11 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

So you finally ate it! I'm so glad you enjoyed the little tacker. :) They are tasty aren't they? I can never get over the flavour and for all their fluff I do think they are worth doing. I made a thread when I did my first one. I love them roasted in the slow cooker. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8005747

Would you believe it was a year ago that we processed them? Your leghorn, BTW, was stuffed with a citrus and spice stuffing and spit-roasted over an open fire during a camp-out. He was scrumptious and there was a fight over the crispy skin!

I have some more small carcasses in the freezer now. I think there might be roast chicken for lunch tomorrow. You've made me hungry.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:24 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
sorry but i can't help but laugh :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

this all reminds me of some mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm xty years ago when visiting my vegetarian aunt and she as a TREAT cooked ROAST CHICKEN after two weeks of no meat it was a mouthwatering smell as it cooked.

it was such an enjoyable meal lol.

enjoy your lunch tomorrow shairlyn :sungs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:31 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

shairlyn wrote:
So you finally ate it! I'm so glad you enjoyed the little tacker. :) They are tasty aren't they? I can never get over the flavour and for all their fluff I do think they are worth doing. I made a thread when I did my first one. I love them roasted in the slow cooker. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8005747

Would you believe it was a year ago that we processed them? Your leghorn, BTW, was stuffed with a citrus and spice stuffing and spit-roasted over an open fire during a camp-out. He was scrumptious and there was a fight over the crispy skin!

I have some more small carcasses in the freezer now. I think there might be roast chicken for lunch tomorrow. You've made me hungry.

OK, so more than a few months ago ... !

We had an Australorp last night. Delicious, a little older so chewy but not tough, but just not QUITE as good as the Pekins'.

Leggies aren't bad but I miss my predominantly Araucana x Barnie boys. We processed a simply HUGE Ara rooster that's going to become true coq au vin over Easter.

But I'd cheerfully swap out my full-sized birds for the Pekins on a 1:1 basis ...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:53 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Nice one. I've never tried spreading them out like that to cook, what a good idea, much faster. Hungry now, flee little pekins, flee :aaargh:
You're on your way to being a breed flavour connoisseur :-D
Perhaps you could eat your way from A to Z with a writeup of flavour, cooking time, and tenderness. I wonder if anyone has ever done that? :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:57 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Actually yes - there was a BYP member who had started eating his way through the breeds. Can't remember who though!

Ate a Leghorn/Ara cross last night. YUM. Fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:57 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

We had those two cockerels you gave me (last weekend) - turned into coq au vin. Damned fabulous. The other four diners (including the French one and the chef one) said they would have thought that it was guinea fowl or pheasant if they'd hadn't known better - they were so flavoursome. Thank you so much for those wonderfully tasty birds!! :-D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:29 am 
Info addict,

I am trying to fatten a Wesummer X and an Australorp. They don't seem to eat much in comparson to the Indian game X Aracuna.

The Wesummer is 21 weeks old ans the Australorp 24 weeks old. There is hardly any meat on their chest. Is it normal?

Kiew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:14 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

I did a 2.5 year old Pekin rooster whose attitude problem I tired of as a Coq au Vin in a cast iron cook-pot on the fire over Easter. 6 hours later he was tender and delicious, couldn't tell his meat from the cockerels packed in on either side of him, and the whole thing was inhaled in record time! Even the brussel sprouts I'd snuck in there. It's amazing how good those things taste when they're soaked in red wine and chicken fat. :bg

I'd be more than happy to do another culling day including swapping at some point Info! I currently have eight cockerels in the backyard, one is a keeper, two are for showing then selling, and the other five I was planning to grow over the winter, sell what I can and eat the rest.