Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Purebreds as Meat Birds

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:06 am 
Thoesriches,

Edwina being 35 is too old to want a clown for entertaiment, her boys at 4 and 2 might like the idea.

Kiew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:03 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi all,

Well we have had a slow growth rate over winter with the pot boys, we lost a couple to the cold weather, and the 2 Plymouth Rock boys we have left, are growing at a slow rate, maybe by Christmas they will be ready :-D

I managed to source 5 Australorp boys a few months back, which are growing beautifully, these should be ready to process around September/October, and I was given 9 bantam Australorp boys, an experiment to see if they would grow out like the standard size, but maybe just smaller, at the moment I am thinking that I am going to have 9 little boys running around for a very long time before they have enough meat on just for 1 person, luckily they don’t eat much :-?

Our success this winter has been growing out 19 Muscovy ducklings, was very interesting. I had 2 ducks go broody, one hatched out 7 ducklings and the other 12 ducklings. These little ducklings are hardy, we lost none, and these guys grew threw our cold winter, and decided to sleep outside too! Now the down side is these little ducklings grow at a phenomenal rate, and the food required is huge, by 10 weeks old they were all as big or bigger than the mums, it was crazy watching how much they changed, I went from having cute little ducklings to 19 extra full size ducks roaming around the house paddock, and add that to our 7 adults that we already had that was a heck of a lot of ducks, lucky Muscovy are quiet.

We began processing at 11 weeks old over 2 weekends, and it was time consuming, they are hard work to pluck, so many fluffy feathers, it looked like we had a pillow fight after we finished, give me a chook any day, but I can honestly say that all though they are heavy on the food and water, and are time consuming to process, they are a beautiful duck to eat, and I am collecting eggs again ready for the next girls to go broody again.

Helen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:40 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Having Araucanas and Australorps, and wanting to branch out to breeding something else for meat, it's been good to read here that Australorps aren't too fowl (pun intended) for eating. Might give my excess cockerels a try next time, before looking into game birds or a cross.

Thanks guys and gals!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:40 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

An Ara/Australorp cross is BRILLIANT eating.

I can also now vouch for Muscovies as eating birds at a young age - 10 weeks onwards, and they're heavy and fabulous. But, as said above, a PAIN to pluck - even with a plucker, and really really hot water with detergent added.

Easier to gut though, so I guess it balances.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:19 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ara/lorp cross for eating.... might give that a go.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:22 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I can recommend it. You'll need to grow them out a bit - the Ara half brings the maturation age down a little, but they're still best over 24 weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:52 pm 
Anyone interested in heavy breast meat for roasting should consider Indian Game. I have tried Australorp, NH cross which do not have breast meat fro roasting. So I chop them up for curry or other Chinese way of cooking.

Kiew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:50 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

IG is on my list, honest it is. I rather fancy having bantams as 2-person meals :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:53 am 
One of my IG processed to 2.7 kg and the second one turned out tobe 2.3 kg. They were excellent for family lunch of 17. I also roasted a supermarket chicken for guests to compare. IG won in taste and texture for the foodie.

Peolpe broght up with super market chicken compalined IG meat too hard.. Can you belive that?

IG bantam would be ideal for two.

Kiew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:24 pm 

I eat my own australorps and India crosses but never thought to bother with the Pekins and silkies' there seems to be to many post applauding Pekin to not try it. How do you guys go about cooking the Pekins?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:55 am 
Hi gamefowlguy,

What do you cross your IG with?

I have tried a Pekin crss once, agaon, not alot of meat.

Kiew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:27 pm 

I've tried crossing my Indian game with australorps, wyandottes and Rhode island reds. RIR x IG was my favorite cross

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:15 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Pekin rewards being cooked very simply. I love it roasted whole, rubbed with olive oil and salt, and put into a very hot oven (over 200C - turn down to 180C after 15mins if you think it's too hot) for about 20-25mins (at most). You'll smell it after 15mins - this extraordinary rich chicken smell. Serve it immediately from the oven, no resting, with a freshly-picked green salad and a nice Riesling.

If you rest it, the crunchy skin will go soft. Still delicious, but not half as good.

You don't need to stuff it because it's so small and cooks so fast.

Most of the bantams are brilliant cooked fast and hot, like this. I did a smallish Ara cross on Saturday - similar result. The smell you get is just astonishing (and mouth-watering).

I've got a tentative promise of a dozen bantam Wyandottes. Can't WAIT. Bantam RIR was fantastic last time I had it.

Silkie is different. I'm sure it roasts fine, but the colour of everything can put people off. Lovely poached very gently in a good home-made stock, then the flesh stripped off and put back into the soup with spring onions. YUM.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:19 pm 
Inforaadicts, thanks for your tips on roasting small bird. What is the appromimate of your small bird?

I like the idea od not havibg to stuff them.

I have read ckciekn skin is the worst offender of raising bad chlestrol. Perhaps only old foggie like me have to wtach it closely.

Kiew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:01 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I am no expert, but I was thinking of crossing some of my Sussex or australorps with commercial meat birds to get extra meat on the birds. Do you think this is worth doing or would it be better to stick with purebreds?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next