Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Hedge parallel to water pipes

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:20 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi! I thought I might pick the brains of the knowledgable people on BYP

We have a Neighbour (in her 60's) that likes to potter around her front garden in her birthday suit. :shock: :oops:

It doesn't really bother me (My grandma liked to do that too when she had dementia - and I suspect that this lady does too.)

However - it bothers everyone else, and I'm tired of the kids endless awkward questions...

So! We are planting a privacy hedge of Murraya in the front yard.

Problem is... Careful exploration with a hand trowel has uncovered the water and gas pipes about 30cm from where I want to plant the hedge.

Is this going to be an issue? (Ie invasive roots etc?)

The hedge either has to go there or we have to move the driveway so that it can go next to the fence.

Thanks in advance for your help! :th

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:28 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

WOW! you have grass.
i know nothing about hedges sorry.
my pick is move the neighbour by dobbing to her family. only problem is what the next neighbours do then. :/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:15 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

We've got muraya hedge in the same proximity to pipes as you're planning. Ours is about 3m tall and do far it's been fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:37 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

grabby wrote:
My pick is move the neighbour by dobbing to her family. only problem is what the next neighbours do then. :/

I have another Neighbour who complained to the lady's family about the naked romps and received a very agro response.

She's getting us all to sign a petition etc going to council about them and the whole nine yards.

In the past I had some trouble with the guy who's boarding with them so I'm taking the passive-aggressive route of hedge planting. ;)

:hiding

andrewschooks wrote:
We've got muraya hedge in the same proximity to pipes as you're planning. Ours is about 3m tall and do far it's been fine.

Thanks Andrewschooks - we'll go full steam ahead! :nail:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:03 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

http://www.stodels.com/index.php/plants ... ll-gardens

they are listed here as a plants for small gardens with non invasive root systems, they are under lollipop shrubs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:24 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Don't worry about the water and gas pipes, it's sewer and storm water that have the issues with invasive roots. Water pipes will burst under root pressure from large trees like eucalyptus but a small hedge should not be a problem. The biggest risk you have is cutting the service lines with the shovel.

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:08 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

As far as the pipes are concerned your gas pipe, either is going to be copper or polyethylene and your water supply either gal, copper or poly ( this will depend on the vintage ) Roots will not be an issue with any of these . As stated sewer and stormwater pipes are more a problem and these not so much these days as they are PVC . It is the older clay versions of these, with rubber seals that allowed root ingression .Short answer is plants will be fine near the pipes .