Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Green fat on Speckled Sussex Rooster??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 1:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:34 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi there,

I just started to butcher my rooster that I dispatched the other day. I had read on a number of websites that on an older chook you should hang it for up to two weeks if it is winter (in a cool room out of the sun, not a fridge). My guy was a little over 6 months old and had been crowing for at least six weeks so I thought I'd try this hanging thing. Instructions said to hang after plucking but not to gut until later. I didn't pluck my guy as I had intended to skin him. So I did the deed on Wednesday so he's been hung four days and I used the broomstick method so his head was still on.

As I started today I changed my mind and decided to pluck him and as I was doing this I noticed that there were big greeny/blue marks on him. There was no smell at this stage. I decided I would skin him after all to see if the marks were in the meat as well. Appears that it was mostly in the fat which was green in a number of places (was yellow everywhere else). There was also a slight bluish haze to some parts of the meat though this wasn't noticeable once I cut all the meat off so think it was from the fat/insides showing through. Once I started pulling his insides out it was smelly, so not sure if the smell was just from there or not??

I have thought it's probably best not to eat this guy myself now which really upsets me as I feel like I have wasted his life. I will feed him to the dogs so not a total waste but still.

I've attached some picks below they don't show the colour it was that great but you can see the discolouration. Has anyone seen this before? Is the meat off? Does anyone else hang their meat and if so what have I done wrong?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/comments

Bek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:11 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Hi Bek
Dont know where you found that info but the bird is starting to rot and I would not eat it nor would i feed it to the dogs.
Cull, pluck or skin and gut straight away. Don't hang them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:14 pm 
Club Official

It seems to me that that the blood and innards should have been removed, and then the flesh cooled immediately. We put our birds in icey water. Once cooled, the birds rest in the fridge for a few days. I think you were very wise not to eat that carcase. The temperature in which meat is hung or rested needs to be regulated. If it gets too warm dangerous bacteria will take hold.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:24 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for the info guys. The sites were all OS sites so maybe they do things different over there anyway that is the first and last time I'll hang any chook!!

Bek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:51 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Any animal should be gutted right away after dispatching it, do not hang it without having done this, the bacteria build up inside would grow quite fast. A (red meat) carcass will hang in cool weather quite well once cleaned, I wouldn't try it with chicken though.

If you want to let it rest before eating it, skin and gut (legs off, head off, cut bum out and remove with intestines) give it a clean up and sit in fridge for a day or 2 then cook and eat :thumbs: