Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - flax

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: flax
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:07 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

does anyone know how to grow flax??

Post subject: Re: flax
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:03 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

You mean the one for its seeds I presume. There is a second type, sometimes called NZ flax which is ornamental and a completely different thing.

The one for seed is generally called Linseed or Linola.
In Vic and southern NSW it can be down May through Oct. it needs good soil prep and plenty of water.

Post subject: Re: flax
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:05 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Greenharvest has it as part of its chook forage mixes: http://greenharvest.com.au/PoultrySuppl ... eSeed.html

"Useful plant grown for both its seeds and fibre. An annual growing to 90 cm with blue flowers. It is not suitable as an animal forage but the seeds are recommended for poultry as a source of Omega-3. Sow autumn, early winter in temperate and subtropical areas."

What that means is you need to grow it somewhere where the chooks can't get to the leaves, and you'll need to manually harvest the seeds when they ripen in (I assume) summer/autumn.

I haven't grown linseed but I've grown buckwheat from the same kit. I just picked the heads off when the seeds were ripe (bowing down and heavy) and threw them to the chooks, who went berko over it. Far too much effort to thresh the seeds out to make my own mix though. Something to consider. It ripened in Autumn.

It sounds like a lot of effort to grow your own seeds for your own mix. You'll need access to threshing equipment - something to remove the seeds from the plant and the husks - and somewhere to store the seed for the rest of the year. It'll ripen all at once so you'll need to plant enough for 12 months' worth of chook feed. I don't know what the average yield is for linseed/flax, but all this information will be findable somewhere ...