Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Cooking tips for bantam & small breeds

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:13 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have a batch of chicks at the moment and I am pretty sure I have a few roos. As I live in suburbia we can't keep roos and I am planning to expand my flock as well, so if I can't keep the lads quiet at night, or they are just too noisy in general, I will have to dispatch them. I know there won't be much meat on them, but just wondering because of this whether there is better ways than others to cook them??

I was thinking I could still roast them, and if they are a little young I could lay some strips of bacon across the top to keep them moist. Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:43 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Just need to adjust your cooking times down, being smaller they cook quicker.

For smaller birds, with a set of kitchen shears, I cut along either side of the spine to remove it and then flatten the bird out, baste with a sauce/marinade of your liking tandoori, satay, honey soy, sweet chilli, are all yummy.

Cook on the grill part of the bbq, and baste a few times during the cooking process. I close the lid on my bbq and give the bird about 20 minutes on one side, flip it over for about the same on the other, done!!

Ron

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:52 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I agree with Ron... just adjust the cooking time downwards.

Aside from that, treat them like any large chook that you'd cook.

If you think that there's not much meat on any cockerel that you've dispatched, then chicken soup is always a winner, with the whole carcase being good to use.

Mr Winglet sometimes makes an Asian-style "watery" chicken soup, and when the meat slides off the bone he pulls it apart & puts the small 'chunks' back into the soup... my mouth is watering just thinking about it. He also throws in any small vegies or chopped Asian greens.

You could just make stock & use the meat cold for sandwiches or wraps, too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:26 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

The tem "spatchcock" refers both to chickens of about 8-12 weeks of age (NOT commercial meat birds - proper birds), and also the presumeably-ideal way to prepare them for cooking - opening them out as mentioned by rotten_66 above. It's called "spatchcocking". You get a good uniform thickness of meat which is very tender.

It's still chicken so you may not need to use bacon. Just cook very quickly. BBQ/grill the spatchcocked bird. I'd rub with oil and salt ONLY for the first ones, until you know what the flavour is like and what seasoning will go with it.

I'm going to be doing my first real spatchcock pretty soon. Got a batch of crossbred chicks and at least four have combs that say they're boys. No point feeding them to adulthood - can't sell them, and I have a freezer full of mature birds. So spring chicken (literally) it is. Just need them old enough to actually have some meat on them!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:07 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ooooohhhh infoaddict you must let me know how they cook up :-) I am salivating already :bg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:13 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

They're 7 weeks old now - 8 weeks is the minimum and I think 12 might be ideal for this lot. Hopefully I'll have a better idea about the more difficult-to-sex breeds by then as well (there's a few with Araucana blood and they're impossible until they crow or lay).