Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Do rabbits or possums eat creeping thyme?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:42 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hubby and I have just laid down a new garden path and we were thinking to plant creeping thyme in between the pavers.

Does anyone know if the local wild rabbits and/or possums will put the kybosh on these plans?

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:51 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Well, we have half a dozen thyme plants and two resident possums and they all seem to coexist very happily. Can't comment on rabbits though :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:05 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

It is definitely not a favourite of rabbits. My rabbits sometimes free-range and they never nibble on the creeping thyme. They have other favourites. But if put into their run, I think they may have nibbled on some.

I think it would be a great choice for you. But bees really like the flowers and you have to be prepared with them pollinating them. So no walking barefoot along those pavers in the middle of summer. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:46 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Heike! What a lovely name. It's German isn't it? I have just met another Heike today - what a coincidence.

Bees + path does not make for the perfect marriage. Especially when you have two little girls that love running around barefoot.

But we have a line of cuphea in front of the fence that the bees love as well...

I guess our little girls will have a swift education in coexisting peacefully with bees!

Question: we are currently on the council waiting list for a native bee colony. If we get the native bees (no stings) will the other bees still come around?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:50 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yes I am German, (it is a scandinavian name that lots of Germans use).

Native bees and honey bees co-exist quite nicely and I have both visiting my garden happily.

The one thing I don't like about creeping thyme is that when you do cut it back even just a tiny bit more than just that bit that got cut dies back. I don't quite figure out it's logic but it does not like to be trimmed.

How much sun does the path get?

There are also lovely bulbs that look like mondo grass that multiply nicelly in semi-shade and do 'ok' in full sun. They flower in autumn and the bees have not cared much for these at my place.

They are the autumn rain lilies. They make lovely border plantings or between paver plantings.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:52 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Hi Sydneychick :-D ,
where we live we have many native bee species living in the bush around our place; when the plants are flowering they all come in for the pollen, small stingless bees, -blue banded bees- cuckoo bees , resin bees ,large carpenter bees as well as honey bees from local hives; so far ive never noticed that the abundance of native bees has had any effect on the numbers of honey bees coming in for a feed; maybe its different in other areas from me.
cheers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:03 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Damn - I was hoping that bees might be territorial! lol!

I've also bought some Veronica Repens creeping blue speedwell seeds for in-between the pavers.

We get a lot of rain in my area: torrential, sweep-everything-away rain. And our front yard is north-west facing so it gets quite a lot of sun. :sungs

There is a big liquid amber and chinese elm in our front yard so the sun is not all day long... but definitely too much sun for any shade loving plants.

And then there's the wild rabbits :aaah! ...So any wee plant we put between the pavers has to be fairly hardy!

I think that despite the bees, our best bet might be the creeping thyme. :biggrin: