Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Food poisoning from backyard eggs?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:48 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

We have had a few upset tummies in our house. I am wondering if it is related to our fresh eggs. I am now only eating the eggs that make it into the rollaway nest boxes (so they are clean) and have stopped reusing egg cartons (now have washable plastic camping style as discussed on your forum) All of my chooks are happy and healthy and are laying well. Should I also wash the eggs? and if so, with what? I had heard that washing can introduce bacteria into the egg.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:57 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

How long have you had your hens, and how long have you been eating their eggs? Did the upset tummies seem to coincide with you starting to eat "home-grown" eggs?

You'd only wash the eggs if they're really dirty, and then you'd only do it enough to get the worst off.

If your eggs are clean and your hens have a good diet, I'd be looking elsewhere for the cause.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:58 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have 3X 2 years old and 4X1 year olds. The young ones have only been laying a few months and have taken a while to learn to use the roll away next boxes (hence some dirty eggs) The Buff Orpington really struggles to fit in the nest box so I gave them a open wooden box as an alternative. Next thing I know there are 7 eggs all in the wooden box, some of them dirty. I have now taken the box away and the egg production has dropped off in protest- lucky to get 3 eggs a day.
They have the Red Hen food, free range for part of the day. I also give them Natrakelp and Apple cider vinegar.
I hope you are right, at least its smartened up my egg handling!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:33 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

The thing that the authorities watch for with eggs is salmonella. That usually the result of a cracked egg. But you'd have noticed that and chucked it I'd think.

The other thing might be E coli, with is a faecal thing. Don't eat filthy-dirty poo-crusted eggs! But I doubt your eggs are that yukky!

So the upset tummies might not be egg related.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:30 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Can you tell me exactly what you mean by upset tummies ? There are very clear signs and symptoms to the different types of diarrhoea.

The six hour turn around with both vomiting and diarrhoea is usually either rotovirus or a Staph albus that is contracted from the food handler. Not from chooks.

The three day cycle include things like campylobacter and a couple of other bugs and what happens its that the diarrhoea tends to starve out the bacteria and it simply dies. The diarrhoea goes away.

Longer than three days and we start to look at nasties such as Salmonella, Shigella and E coli.

Other things such as intolerance also start to enter the scenario as well.

By and large eggs that are cooked properly are not a problem. Its more of a problem when the are used raw. Mayonaise, egg flips etc.

What is happening in your household ??

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:04 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

There is a lot of gastro type illnesses going around at the moment. If your kids are at kinder or school they will pick it up there.

If you are on tank water, check your tanks for floating critters and clean out the gutters.

If the eggs are clean, not cracked, fresh and cooked properly it is very unlikely to be the cause of your problems.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:35 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

washing eggs can INCREASE the likelihood of nasties as it can damage the bloom, and depending on how vigorously you wash them, the pore structure. both of these aer designed to minimise impact of bacteria to the egg, and removing them destroys the protection they offer.

as has been said, if you are eating clean eggs its unlikely to be the eggs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:55 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Symptoms are 3 days of diarrhoea and nausea, all adults. We are on tank water so that is a possibility though not everyone has been affected.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:32 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

As said above, there is a gastro bug going around at the moment, hitting both kids and adults. It could well be coincidental. Food poisoning is generally a single day of unpleasantness and then recovery. Three days of throwing up etc suggests - to me - something else.

Frankly, if you've been throwing up that long, I'd see a doctor. It's not good for you ...

Tank water CAN be a source of issues. Ours hasn't been to this point but we had a fright a few years back when my sister-in-law got a very nasty e. coli-based infection which put her in hospital for close to 6 months, damaged one kidney, and left her with diabetes. She'd been at our place the Xmas before, and the incubation rate for the illness (can't remember the correct name) was about right.

They did, however, then trace it to an overseas trip they'd done over New Year's. Still utterly awful but we could stop guilt-tripping.

Still, we put in an additional filtered-water tap for our water. I prefer the straight-out-of-the-tap water - it tastes better - but we always give visitors and kids the filtered stuff. It's a proper removes-everything twin filter system. Reasonably cheap to buy, dead easy to install, replace the filters once a year, makes the chances of nasties getting through much less. Peace of mind for us.

I do use our grubby eggs but I wash them just before use, just so nothing falls in when I crack the egg, and then crack it and use it immediately. Always for cooking, never for raw-egg things.

To reduce the incidence of grubby eggs, the following helps:

* worm your chooks (a mild case of worms can cause slightly liquid droppings)
* encourage them not to sleep in the nest boxes
* change the bedding material as often as you can. I turn it upside-down when it looks too manky :)
* if a chook seems to have a grubby bum, catch her and trim the grubby stuff off. Once some poo has got caught in the tail feathers, it can often catch more on the way out and build up, causing hassles. DON'T pluck the feathers - it hurts. Just cut close to the skin. That will keep her clean for the season, until she moults, too.

Good luck, and I hope your illness subsides soon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:28 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I work in a hospital and gastro is going around alot at the moment. We have seen lots of presentations of it. Horrible thing! :aaah! I'm not saying it's that, but it's highly possible as it is easily spread around in settings such as work, schools etc.
Hope you and your family are feeling better soon.