Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Chooks could miss out on silverbeet

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:53 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:40 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Didn't see any scats Coco but its not impossible. I've read that they're known to tunnel their way in and withstand electric shock. Actually there's one who has a burrow on the hillside besides the big tree and another by the ravine. They're cute and all that but I prefer them outside the boundary fence. If one's in, I hope that he will soon go out and stay out!

Oh well, the downside of gardening near virgin bushland ...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

How big is that footprint?
Feral pig?
Deer?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:14 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks PC for the interest. The footprints presented to me as paws not hooves. There were four, two were slightly smaller in size compared to others. Maybe these distant photos detail the pad and toes better than previous.

The actual size resembled that of an OE sheepdog and mine's not guilty; she's already gone over the rainbow. IF it was a wombat, thinking more towards a juvenile not its parent because the plants were not trampled by its bulk. I would have taken more accurate photos if not for the evening rain that came bucketing down. Consequently footprints' were unrecognisable the following morning.

Thought of the possum but no; the blooming roses adjacent to the vegie patch were not eaten. All the leaves and stems in tact. Wondered about feral cats but again no - too large for it. I'm a bit concerned so I've put out the trap. It's empty so far. Hopefully whoever it was, was just passing and not coming back.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:20 am 
Great Game
Great Game

This link shows a stylised wombat footprint. (Also a Tasmanian Devil stamp - are you in Tasmania, - though even if you are, your photos looks slightly more wombatish).
http://www.inquizzical.com.au/wombat-stamp-womstamp-p

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:42 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Incredible! Wombat footprints in your garden. It must be coming back regularly now for the buffet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:14 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

PC, it was confusing because both wombats and devils have the same gait pattern. As when both walk, they're toes are compressed and their back feet tread on the front feet prints. It was the shape of the foot pad on the prints that convinced me that it might be a wombat. They're pointed unlike the devil's unique squarish pad/foot print. And definitely not the Tassie tiger's because their toes spread out and (ahem) already extinct.

Cathy, that means I will have to plant some more to meet demand. Like my mother suggested - "Don't cage everything. Just plant one for yourself, one for the birds, and one for the grazing visitor. And you'll find that everything is all right because everybody is happy".

Edited to add:

Many weeks later ...... mysterious nibbler identified ???

Found a wombat inside the pig pen (empty). Latch was secure so don't know how he/she got in. Placed some cut grass and silverbeet as feed in case he's the one that's been munching in the vegie patch. As I poured water on the trough at the other end of the pen, the gentle trickle startled him and ran towards opposite corner like lightning!

Btw, the dark areas on the body are shadows from nearby tree.

He can stay if he wants to.
Sooooo cute!