Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Nerium Oleander

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nerium Oleander
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:02 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi!

I have just discovered that one of the established bushes growing in our duck run is a Nerium a Oleander.

Will the ducks be ok with this bush in there? (I understand that Oleander's are poisonous?)

Post subject: Re: Nerium Oleander
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:29 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Yeah, its more the white sap is quite bad if it gets into eyes. If the bush is tall and there are only minimal leaves within eating range, I'd not worry too much. But if it had a lot of foliage near the ground, then I think there might be a concern.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:56 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

My chooks can access our 20-odd oleanders when they are let out. It never seems to cause a problem. There are so many toxic or noxious plants the list is endless. Oleander gets a much worse press than it deserves. People are always saying the leaves twigs bark sap can kill you. Fact is in Victoria there has never ever been a death (of a person or child) due to oleander. They are fabulous shade for chook pens and probably as safe as any mixed planting in a garden that they can access. I will be planting more of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:58 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

do oleanders grow quickly?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:15 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Yes, fast growers. As long as they are given a good start, decent planting hole with compost, regular watering same as for any young fruit trees. Maybe best compared to olives and almond trees. They are all extremely hardy in extreme hot dry conditions. But the young one need good water and occasional fertiliser, and (especially) good mulch say for the first three years.

That way you get good early growth, strong plant, and can prune them a bit to keep some low growth and a good wide shape to go on with.

People will say they are slow growing: because they are hardy they get planted in sandy clay and never watered past day-one, then called slow growing. Miracle is they survive (but they do) let along grow fast.

That's me being a pot calling kettles black: I've put in a small hedge of boobyalla trees, and neglected them. Still alive, but not growing fast, serve me right. If you looking for hedge/privacy kind of tree, check boobyallas, they are excellent fast grower and dense.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:27 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

i hate wind so plant stuff to cut it down a bit and a hedge or 2 is ideal. we have been working on 1 out of hop bushes. boobyalla i like saying it so i will google what it looks like.
boobyalla. :-)