Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What should I plant, kill & use for chickens

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:03 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Chives or marjoram will be great. :thumbs:

Love the photos, BTW.

Your chooks will be individuals in their preference for certain foods over others (just like people) &, like children, may not take to some things the first time you offer them (or they have access to them).

Silverbeet is a huge favourite with many chooks, and mine will eat lettuce leaves with great gusto, too !

There are some plants that are not considered to be good for chooks... I think that there's a sticky post somewhere with a list. Some take the list at 100% never to be given to their chooks, others allow the chooks to choose for themselves & don't worry overly much. I am somewhere in the middle.. the main thing I would never intentionally give my chooks would be onions (garlic, chives etc are okay though, even though the same family). Although if a few cooked bits were in some leftovers I wouldn't stress over it.

We don't have avocado in the house, but if we did I wouldn't feed that to them, either.

Other than food types, never, ever give mouldy food, and never leave wet foods with them long enough to become mouldy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:01 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I've got thyme & basil, couldn't find any flat leaf parsley...will keep looking. I moved Rainbow & Diamond into their yard today & gave them a couple of hours of scratch time. So happy they can finally stretch their wings! They seemed to enjoy their time, got an "after school snack" of wheat & cauliflower and kicked up some dirt!

Still need to make them a dust bath area, will try to do that Sunday.

Happy chooks, nice looking yard & garden...happy all round. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:30 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Your garden is looking great, l'm sure your girls will love it. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:00 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I think my girls are giving me a hint to hurry up with their dust bath spot already!! :)

The boxes I put out plant my herbs in (herbs yet to be planted because I need to get some wire mesh stuff first) has been used as dust baths!! The chooks only just fit head to tail & wing to wing, but never the less, dirt is dirt, boxed or otherwise! Diamond kicked out most of the dirt and was found snuggled in almost buried in the box. :) The clever girls haven't even thought of disturbing the garden I have planted and they are eating the weeds I left there for them!!

So off I went carting bricks & built a dust bath garden... Much bigger & hopefully more enticing. Lets see if they learn the difference between garden with plants & dust bath garden without plants??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:24 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

We've had a win... :yess

Happy days, the chooks found their dust bath!!

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 795.97 KiB | Viewed 2376 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:14 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

cool.
she is looking like: this is interesting, it might be a bit big. oh, what the hay i will give it a whirl.