Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - milk kefir - a fermented milk drink

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:28 am 
Great Game
Great Game

grabby: i copied this thread from out of the New Years Resolutions one.
so if you think this is familiar @ some point, you are quite right.
we had talked about milk kefir in NY Resolutions and with new year done and dusted i thought moving this part to cooking would get it more interest.

I used to ride my push bike every day and do weights and had a great six pack :thumbs: , but when i got married i turned into a lazy bum and now the six packs a keg, and pants size went from 82 to 92 :aaargh: after 16 years this friday. Well i have been riding again even before christmas, but i want to try riding daily again and do weights. I rode to work today 12 k's of hills, and hope to stay motivated enough :roll: to continue to ride daily. I'm also going to try and cut down on sweet things exspecially now that i have a problem with not enough enzimes to digest lactose, sucrose and maltrose. So eating chocolate these days really causes me drama's and cows milk to :aaargh:. I use Almond milk now on my porridge, and try to drink diet drinks but mostly water.Thanks mycoola

Last edited by mycoola on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:27 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Hi Mycoola,
Im not sure if this would work for you as a substitute for a choccie malted, but my OH also has a problem with digesting lactose and a few other things- and he loves chocolate ; and we have found this idea for a treat for him- a smoothie made of almond or oat milk with a flat teaspoon of pure cacao (not cocoa-its from a health food shop- has no sugar) and we also add a banana or strawberries for sweetness- its quite yummy and best of all he doesnt have problems digesting it.
We also add a dairy free probiotic to it to help with good gut flora.
And im with Grabby on my dislike of the word 'exercise', sounds a bit too much like some sort of punishment :-D - we go for long 'bushwalks' around the hills and roads here instead :biggrin:

cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:05 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Cutting down on sugar alone made me lose 4 kg in a few weeks.
Me and my family, including my 4 year old boy drink our home made milk kefir daily, which helps us stay healthy and regular.
The beauty with milk kefir is that you don't need a lot for a healthy gut.
Drop me a line if you need some grains, I can send you some WHEN I CAN SPARE THEM.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:00 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Thanks for the replies, Transilvan what is kefir, and angelcake that smoothey sounds great must give it a go :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:11 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

YAY! sooo glad i am not the only chook that doesn't know what kefir is... :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:03 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Since we got a couple of people interested, which is GREAT, here’s a tiny bit of information about it from my memory and experience.
Kefir is a fermented drink produced from mammal’s milk by a bacteria originally taken from the stomach of sheep and goats in the Caucasus mountains thousands of years ago.
It feeds on the lactose in the milk to produce lactic acid, carbon dioxide and alcohol.
The shepperds use to carry the milk or rather the milk kefir with them in a container made from a goats stomach.
They use to keep it for days without the milk getting rotten or even spoiled.
That is how the grains work nowadays, in milk, at room temperature, up to 40 degrees C, and the milk doesn spoil.
Once the bacteria takes over, nothing else grows in that milk, and it makes it safe to drink.
We were feeding my boy the milk kefir every day since we weaned him at 4 months old.
I know people who fed their babies kefir made with their mother’s breast milk.
It is an amazing drink packed with healthy bacteria for all sorts of benefits, mainly digestive, and it is especially good for people with lactose intolerance or a leaky gut.
It is also great aparently for the immune system and also the blood pressure.
We use to drink kefir since I can remember, my grandparents always had a pot of milk kefir somewhere in the kitchen.
The russians initially made it commercially available, however the stuff you can buy from the stores is made with a powdery culture, and it’s got only a fraction of the probiotic bacteria in the grain produced kefir.
(14 compared with 42, from memory…)
There’s a fair bit of information on the net about it, and I am glad the milk kefir becomes more and more popular in Australia.
Here’s a Wiki link to milk kefir for people interested, it is a fabulous drink.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:52 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Transilvan thanks for the Kefir info is it hard to get the grains as i would like to try it and see if my stomach improves, anything is worth a shot if it helps, i hope it isnt as sour as that yocoult or what ever it was called :shoc . Thanks Mycoola

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:26 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

hi mycoola, i too wonder about how it is made and by which grains.
i have pm'd transilvan asking about the process and grains. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:07 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

i have had a bit of a look around and thought this might be interesting. :-)

i copy & pasted this straight from Kefirpedia. both items below were found on: www.kefirpedia.org

What is Kefir?
Kefir is a fermented milk beverage, similar to yogurt, that originated 1,000 years ago in the Caucasus region. It is easy to make at home and is a rich source of good bacteria that can help your digestion, is easy to digest due to low lactose, and can boost your immune system, among other health benefits. Real kefir should not be confused with store-bought kefir.

Making Kefir
Supplies:
A non-metallic strainer, or a stainless steel strainer
Two glass jars
Instructions:
Obtain some kefir grains. These are the essence of kefir, the gooey blobs of yeast and bacteria living in harmony that look like slimy cauliflower. The bacteria and yeast ferment (digest the lactose in) the milk and turn milk into kefir.
Combine fresh, good-quality milk and the grains in a glass jar with a loose-fitting lid.
In general, 2 tablespoons of grains can ferment about a cup of milk. Adjust accordingly.
Good quality milk means the best you can get your hands on: raw (unpasteurized), whole, non-homogenized, grass-fed cow's or goat's milk is the best. If you don't own a cow or goat, raw milk can be very hard to come by. If all you can find is skim Dean's milk from the 7-11, it will still work and you'll still get the bacteria in your body, but the best kefir comes from the best milk.
Do not put a tight lid on your fermenting jar! While the kefir ferments, it releases gasses that can cause pressure buildup and possibly burst your jar. Additionally, the fermentation process needs fresh air, otherwise it will starve. So a jar should keep the dust out but not much more—some people use a paper towel or cloth and rubber band for a lid.
Let sit at room temperature for 24 hours.
Strain grains from fermented milk with a non-metal (or stainless steel) strainer. Kefir is acidic and may leech the metal into the drink and into your body, so heed this advice to be on the safe side.
If this is your first batch, particularly if the grains traveled to you through the mail, consider discarding the first batch or two while the microflora adjust to your environment. This is optional...trust your nose.
Drink the fermented milk (that's kefir!). We like to put the kefir in the refrigerator overnight to drink chilled kefir, or make a kefir fruit smoothie.
Add more milk to the grains and repeat.
You may optionally clean the jar and/or rinse the grains in non-chlorinated water (use distilled or well water; city tap water can kill the good bacteria!). If you wash the jar with tap water (we do it a few times a week), make sure to dry the jar clean of the water before putting the grains and milk in.

some promoted health benefits below i found on BenefitsOfKefir site.
i copy & pasted this directly from http://www.benefitsofkefir.com

Both milk kefir grains and water kefir grains are rich in probiotics although they have different bacterial strains. There are much, much more probiotics in kefir than yogurt or any other health drinks. Yogurt (considered a very helpful health drink by many) contains only two types of bacterial strain with billions of helpful microorganisms; kefir, on the other hand, has 10 strains with trillions of helpful bacteria. Kefir is clearly 10 times more beneficial than milk or yogurt. The people in Caucasus knew this by heart, now we know this based on medical studies and documented cases.

However, there is a slight yet distinctive difference between the two drinks. Milk kefir has more nutrition, which comes naturally from the milk, while water kefir is less fattening.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:56 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi grabby and thanks for the information, I was unaware of the two websites you mentioned.
I placed a fair bit of information on my blog.
About the cheese-making, I am a novice myself.
I have succesfully started making my own cottage cheese and feta cheese.
My next target is goude-type cheese, as I got enough raw milk.
:th

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:59 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

mycoola wrote:
Transilvan thanks for the Kefir info is it hard to get the grains as i would like to try it and see if my stomach improves, anything is worth a shot if it helps, i hope it isnt as sour as that yocoult or what ever it was called :shoc . Thanks Mycoola

Apologies for such a late reply, I've been away with my family for a few weeks.
I will have some spare milk kefir grains in a week or so, please let me know if you are still interested.
I would be more than happy to help you with some.
:fead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:55 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Yes Transilvan, i am still interested as anything that will improve my stomach is worth a try,thanks Mycoola.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:20 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

mycoola wrote:
Yes Transilvan, i am still interested as anything that will improve my stomach is worth a try,thanks Mycoola.

I have changed their milk and they seem to do a bit better. :yess
I got lots of them, but quite small.
Once they get a bit more plump I'll let you know.
Keep in touch,
Marius