Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How can I tell when my citrus fruit is ripe?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:11 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

The latest question from a bemused Brit in a hot country :-D

We have a couple of tangerine/satsuma/mandarin type trees and they are fruiting now. There are 2 different types of tree, one has slightly larger fruit which is slightly darker in orange colour than the other. So far I have been harvesting windfalls, but I'm not sure if there is a way to tell if the fruit still on the tree is really ripe? In England I'm used to twisting apples gently and if they come off in your hand they are ready.

I'd say the fruit tastes slightly underwhelming but I don't know if its underripe or just not a brilliant variety.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:15 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Generally mandarins taste much better after a spell of cold weather. I think it's something to do with sugar accumulation. I'm in the subtropics here and find a few weeks of winter makes all the difference even after they've changed colour to orange. That's only night time temps down to around 10oC. Varieties also have different maturity times. Some don't ripen properly until early spring.

I guess in ?Portugal you should have had some cool temps already? If so then your only hope is you have late maturing varieties! Maybe leave them a week and try again?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:43 pm 
Satsuma peel color and degree of ripeness are completely unrelated and independent. In Florida, they are usually at their best eating quality while still deep green. In climates with chilly nights, they may be quite orange, but still too sour to eat. It just depends on the climate.In any case, mandarins (in the USA anyway) are never dyed for the grocery store. Some Florida oranges are, but that's all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:10 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Interesting! I thought Satsuma was just another generic name for what we in Australia call Mandarines. Sounds like a specific variety?