Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Whats growing in your veggie patch ?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 11:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:11 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

At the moment we have capsicums galore, they self seeded in the compost and are now filling most of one of our water tank gardens .
Here are a couple hanging over the side, still ripening - we have already picked heaps
And another self sown one

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:23 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Tomatoes are almost finished, as are the cucumbers. Zucchini are still flowering and setting fruit, and Climbing green/purple beans are still going crazy. Capsicums and Eggplants flowering like made but hardly any fruits and is too late now for anything to get to a decent size anyway.

Have self seeded broad beans coming up, and broccoli seedlings will be going in soon. Still to plant are onions, garlic, cauliflower and cabbage, and for Mrs Rotten and kidlets a heap more broad beans (YUK),

Ron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:33 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Not a lot at the moment, mainly perennials but I have a few punnets of seedlings to plant out. :-)

I've added some notes to the photo info itself:

The eggplants pictured in this thread:
Anyone grow Eggplants aka aubergines? are in the raised rim bed background left hand (western) end.

I pruned off most leaves from my tomatoes in another bed last night mainly to let more light into the ground cover level where I have onion chives and quite a few different basil seedlings and just germinated broadcast seed of legumes - lucerne 2 varieties, red clover and some pigeon pea although not sure if any of those 6 seeds from nostress have come up.

Chokos on the trellis near the chookshed are now flowering and fruiting and scrambling into the trees so need tip pruning (chook fodder) nearly every day. Peanuts and ginger and more eggplants at the front. Feijoa in duckrun is fruiting. Another custard apple in the southern run - chooks there - also has a lot of small fruit developing.

Front garden - more eggplant, sweet spud, passionfruit vine, peanuts and some more ginger and arrowroot.

That's more than I realised! :laughing

These to go in today - after I barrow in some compost from the poultry runs:

I picked these a couple of days ago:

and I have 5 smallish bunches of lady finger bananas feeding the flying foxes every night:

:-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:21 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

What a beautiful garden you have there Cackles, looks like a lush food forest , and very healthy banana plants, whats your secret with them :-D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:04 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Not nearly as many hands on each flower stalk of my bananas as I would wish! They need more fertiliser (especially potassium - K) and more even watering I think. I should also have cut the bell off all of them. The chooks love the flowers that fall as the sheaths open. There are at least a dozen ducks buried in the area so they should be getting some nutrition there. The neighbour's poinciana is shading them a bit and actually pushed some over in past years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:47 pm 

Lemons just ripening, grapefruit a few weeks off, mandarins starting to come on, only a few limes this year.

In the herb garden there's basil, chives, parsley, rosemary, chilli and thyme. In the veggie garden thee's tomatoes just flowering, spinach a week or so off and some young broccoli and peas.

And if I ever manage a weekend without having to go to the office, i'll extend further.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:21 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

1441cc love you girl going all " i always stand here; take picture it'll last longer". :)

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:00 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Chili's hot,hot HOT chili's

Habaneros - big burn, lingering

Fatalii - these have a short but intense burn in the back of the throat extending up your neck

Tobago Seasoning - nice 'fruity'

Thai Chili - Burkes Backyard, hot okay taste

Cayenne - great dried, smoked & turned into flakes

a slight whistling sound accompanies the fall of the axe before splitting the wood. startled my girls look at me with fear in their tiny chicken eyes. "It's not for you... yet" I cry and laugh at them like a chook

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:06 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Wow Milo, you guys must love chilli!
Peas and broccoli, tatsoi, kale, lettuce, spinach, rocket all coming up here. Garlic in and doing well unless the dog lays in the sun on it then it gets squashed.
Still waiting on the onions and turnips to emerge.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:28 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Fabulous photos, everyone!!

No pineapples here in Canberra :( We've got kale, peas, broad beans, rocket, leeks, lettuce and silverbeet coming along and garlic to go in soon.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:32 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Tomatoes have just finished, still harvesting parsnips, swedes, 2 varieties of potatoes, silver beet, spring onions, red beet, raspberries, kale, lettuce mache and oka.
2 varieties of garlic and some shallots for pickling are about 300mm tall. (Have been in for a month)
edit: forgot the carrots.

Last edited by lucky 992 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:49 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Spinach here. I planted 5 punnets of the stuff. Lots of pumpkins stored, so we will be living on home grown chicken, pumpkin and Spinach this winter. for lunch i like rice cakes, spread with mashed pumpkin, a slice of cheese, and topped with spinach leaves.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:06 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

So proud of myself -I've only planted 1 (well 2, but 1 might die) zucchinni this year. The Italian variety Trombonchino, it's not as prolific as Black Jack etc and doesn't race to become a marrow, has a great flavour and doesn't go mushy, even in a slow cooked Ratatouille
This year I am trying out some 'Straw Bale' gardening for all the curbits and melons as last year they took over too much of the vege garden. This technique involves starting the composting process in the intact bale and after 10 days to kick start, planting is done directly into the bale. I have set up a row of 10 bales against a wall and have started some seeds in my refrigerator hot house/cold frame (same as fridge brooder - fridge on it's back, drainage holes drilled, mesh/glass on the top.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:20 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

water melons and pumpkins are the only things that can handle the heat out here, tomato,s can handle the heat but the bower birds get them all, thinking of making a move, one day LOL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:09 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

sue55 wrote:
This year I am trying out some 'Straw Bale' gardening for all the curbits and melons as last year they took over too much of the vege garden. This technique involves starting the composting process in the intact bale and after 10 days to kick start, planting is done directly into the bale. I have set up a row of 10 bales against a wall

i like the sound of this sue55; do you have any photos of how it is done?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next